Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: let's chat

I used to tell guys you don't need 110 for lower compression engines like crates or in my case flat top smog headed motors. That they were just blowing money out the exhaust hell it was their money just trying to help them. I would just drive on by with my 2$ e85 Lol.

What is the best external oil cooler option for a 604 crate? Thanks in advance

i have a drag guy with a 14:1 ls3 that is just as fast on e85 as he was on gas , i have not seen any dyno sheets comparing the two on higher compression engines but would like to....

Fastford and rw57 how is the e85 tunning window. Like with methanol you can be conservatively rich and not really hurt power so you don't really need to chase the jetting all the time. From my experience gas has a much narrower window.

once you find your initial starting jets , just like with gas , i cant tell much difference in tuning , cold weather we increase jets and hot weather we decrease....

softshoe72 --asked
    What is the best external oil cooler option for a 604 crate? Thanks in advance

a NEW one

as for brand there are plenty of good ones ----seatrab is probably one of the best but allstar has a pretty nice one with -12 fittings and a bung for temperature

adapters for plumbing are a good topic for discussion as is hose size but I want to emphasize first ----
    use a new cooler
    they cannot be cleaned

Brad
    www.race-1.com

Pretty much what I do I've only changed jets a couple of times only because on my 750 e85 motor ran warmer. I talked to Joe and he said bump up jets from 90 to 92 haven't got to try it yet. My 600 e85 is a lot fatter on bottom end because it does not have jets on back it has a metering plate that has holes drilled out little less control on it. Like I said I love the stuff. Like Fast Ford said I just basically leave it alone .
    Last edited by RW57; 11-20-2019 at 10:31 AM.

Thanks Brad. Te Allstar was what i was gonna get but thought i would get a second opinion👍👍

there has been an ongoing debate amongst engine builders about what is "best" for an adapter to plumb the cooler with.

the on the block (sandwich) adapters are said to be restrictive thus causing oil temperature to rise
    while I do agree that the sandwich type adapters are more restrictive than most remote adapters there is something else to consider-----

when you use a remote adapter there must be a 3rd line along with appropriate fittings
    every fitting and line poses a restriction and heat in some way

for the past several years we have used only sandwich type adapters
    I do have to add that we carefully customize these adapters for enhanced flow by radiusing all the corners and increasing the port sizes

we feel as though our enhanced sandwich adapter combined with eliminating one complete oil line does a better job than remote filter mounting

Brad
    www.race-1.com

Wanted to add to the ground topic. Engine mounts and mid plates have a coating that should be cleaned/removed so the engine is properly grounded to the frame.

Welcome Maverick---I love the handle (it's kind of how I live)

I see you are new to 4m and want to welcome your responses
    the more views and opinions we have to any topic ---the more we can all gain

grounds are absolutely an overlooked area in racing and can be quite a problem at times

Brad
    www.race-1.com

i second brad , the more the better , BTW , i owned a sweet little maverick grabber years ago , wish i had kept it...

Thank you for the welcoming. I also use the ground cables on the heads to the frame, just noticed installing new mounts that you would be lucky to get any grounding to the frame with the paint/powder coating they use. I have learned a ton from many on this forum, and look forward to learning more.

don't be afraid to call us out on something that you disagree with----everytime I think I have something completely figured out someone somewhere shows me there is always more to it---no matter what the subject

hey fastford---I have a Maverick story also
    My grandpap on my mom's side passed away in the early 80's and he owned a 1974 Maverick that he bought new
    the family gave it to me ---this thing was in mint condition
    I was about 21 or 22 at the time and didn't want to be seen in the thing and sold it for basically nothing
    what a fool I was --I would cut my left (you know what) off to have that car today

Brad
    www.race-1.com

Brad we all have cars we did that with. My list includes a 68 charger one owner 383 fully loaded car less than 100.000 miles sold for 800$. 1953 Studebaker super commander I was 18 my dad gave it too me hell I didn't want that thing now its
    like what was I thinking.

yikes ---both of those are a sting

I can add some young stupidity
    I had a 1968 Camaro in 1978 (I was 16) ---I couldn't get it to stop overheating and then one day the clutch started slipping----in a huff of anger I scrapped it

most of the stuff I drive today is a teenager and that classic was only 10 years old when I turned it into a box of steel

I am embarrassed to even sign my name to this post---LOL

is what it is

Brad
    www.race-1.com

talking about oil coolers i use a long tube alum fin one thats about 3 ft long thats easy cleaned and i use the sandwich adapter never have had a cooling problem, this is on the 604.

i think i can top both of you , when i was 15 , my mama bought me a 69 mach 1 out of a junk yard , i worked all summer long in a body shop for 2 bucks an hr sanding cars and saved my money up to fix it , i had saved about a 1000 bucks and was buying a engine and 4spd out of wrecked torino from a friend of my dad , we were just starting to pull engine when his friend pulled up in a 67 or 68 vette with a smoking 427 , 3 two barrel , 4 speed and a hole in the rt front fender , a buddy of his owed him 800 bucks and could not pay so he gave him the car , Ed , my dads friend , said, "why are you fooling with that ole mustang , if you will give me my money back , you can fix this vette up and it will be worth something one day " , needless to say , i thought the sun set and rose behind a blue oval and said no way......one of the dumbest things i ever did , there is no telling what that car is worth today.....

Quote Originally Posted by brad hibbard View Post
    don't be afraid to call us out on something that you disagree with----everytime I think I have something completely figured out someone somewhere shows me there is always more to it---no matter what the subject

hey fastford---I have a Maverick story also
    My grandpap on my mom's side passed away in the early 80's and he owned a 1974 Maverick that he bought new
    the family gave it to me ---this thing was in mint condition
    I was about 21 or 22 at the time and didn't want to be seen in the thing and sold it for basically nothing
    what a fool I was --I would cut my left (you know what) off to have that car today

Brad
    www.race-1.com
    here is something you may not know , all the maverick grabbers and v8 mercury comet,s that looked like a maverick , had the Mexican 302 blocks in them , which i collect , they are a good bit stronger than a reg 302 and we stroke them to 347 to 355 and with the N heads , there a light weight engine that is great for dirt track racing , when rules allow.....they also came in 70 to 74 f100 short wheel base PU and early v8 econolines and up to 74 model square body bronco,s....

Quote Originally Posted by brad hibbard View Post
    in supers or open engine competition usually there is no carb spacer rule for height so compound angle spacers are common where the carb is angled toward the left and toward the LR at the same time ---this is possible with 1.5 to 2 inches of spacer to work with

in the crate world most rules dictate a maximum of 1 inch
    working these angles into 1 inch of space is difficult
    our original tilted spacer was tipped to the left 7 degrees
    it left no room to do any antireversion work under the spacer so it was not real good on restarts

our updated version still only tips to the left but the angle was cut to 3.5 degrees which gave us the opportunity to work on the bottom side of the spacer to increase acceleration for restarts
    it races very well and restarts excellent
    here is a link to it
    http://race-1.com/i-23432925-cii-100...acer-4150.html

many dirt late models today have the engine tipped toward the rear and that compliments our angle to the left perfectly

Brad
    www.race-1.com
    how much are engines being tipped back? iam at about 2.2 degrees rear up at ride height and about 3.4 rear up at rocked over