Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default CJ Rayburn Going Out Of Business

Face Book ad listing engines, cars and equipment for sale... end of an era folks.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Wonder how many cars were built in that shop???

I can remember when purvis had a Rayburn an everybody wanted one.

Several years the world 100 starting field was full of them

I wondered how long ago the last car built there was? And what does this mean for Schlenk moving forward?

Quote Originally Posted by TheJet-09 View Post
    I wondered how long ago the last car built there was? And what does this mean for Schlenk moving forward?
    They were still building cars there earlier this year. I visited while passing through on work. Said 5-6 a year was it now.

Not claiming it's the truth, Schlenk was supposedly having a longhorn car built for next year.

An unwillingness to adapt to the market is generally the death of most businesses.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Well at his age and his health I’m surprised it didn’t happen sooner.

Schlenk has a couple options on the table

Definitely sad. I like CJ a lot. He is going to be 80 I guess, haven't seen him in a while, hope he is doing OK

Quote Originally Posted by zyoung25 View Post
    Not claiming it's the truth, Schlenk was supposedly having a longhorn car built for next year.
    You are correct. Car owner already has the new Longhorn.

First Barry goes down with a heart attack and know C.J. Rayburn .

Time is cruel to us all, there comes a time in life when the body has just had enough.

TONY STEWART, you need to have both of these iconic builders at the 50th anniversary of the World 100.

CJ has been trying sell his operation for a few years now. I respect him for making a last ditch effort with the recent chassis. Is Christian not that interested in late models or what? I know he helped with the business but also knew he had another career...

CJ has did an amazing job holding on the last few years. He is tired it's over 4k month alone just to keep the shop up and operational that's not including paying anyone. Rusty has did an amazing job showing that the cars still win just look at what he has done taking a chassis no one has not only racking up wins but has became a Champion the kid does not get the credit he deserves at all he has bucked the trend of being a clone driver in a chassis that everyone else has. He has a Longhorn but I doubt he will ever race it Rusty is talented driver as well as car builder himself he will continue building Rayburns but under his direction and just like CJ will not forget what CJ has taught us all about dirt racing and chassis setup. What truly makes me sad about CJ having to close is all the former Champions and former drivers and I will not name names but the list is who's who of racing ... Rayburn gave them cars, gave some of them there start in racing, even financing there racing and those same drivers have not stepped up to the plate to help CJ keep this great brand alive instead it's been a driver named Rusty keeping CJ dream alive for all us Rayburn fans ....for me personally CJ helped me race 51 shows this year against the best drivers in the country with a 525 crate motor he built himself that made 4700 laps before it blew and yes I was not the fastest , but I was there keeping my dream alive and racing not only his chassis but engine..I'm sure if I had a real 900 horsepower motor like most I would have won and ran up front but I didn't I had a motor CJ built himself a crate motor at that that got me to 51 races all over the country and in my heart was the right thing to do!!!! I will miss you CJ and thank you for what you have done for me in this sport I love....Chuck Hummer
    Last edited by Rsr fan; 10-20-2019 at 08:21 AM.

He could flat build a car for elders I remember the year he was going thru the pits an he told purvis to put another brace on his spoiler it won't last a 100 laps up here and he didn't and it broke 10 laps from the end while he was leading.

A true innovator for sure.

The Rayburn revolution cars that came out after 2011 I believe were pretty good and a step in the right direction but development basically stopped after that until Schlenk started trying to refine them but they were out of vogue by then

Rayburn, Bullet, GRT, Warrior, Shaw......Iconic innovators of the sport. Unfortunately time catches up with all of us. On another note, Barry Wright's ICON chassis has had much success, maybe not on the national stage, but throughout the country over the last few years. Hopefully Barry makes a full recovery and can continue to build cars as long as he wants to be involved in the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    An unwillingness to adapt to the market is generally the death of most businesses.
    I see that someone is calling out professional drivers. Being loyal doesn’t pay your bills. Rocket woulda went the way of Rayburn if they’d have stayed on that path they were on around 2014-2015.

I’d be loyal till I was getting my tail handed to me and seen our chassis was behind the times. Then either we adapt, or I move on. I guarantee at least a couple tried to stay, and things just didn’t change.

It is sad, he has done so much for the sport, but you gotta adapt a change. Same with department stores these days.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.