Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default How much horsepower really?

Every time I watch a race on TV, I hear some pit reporter guy say 800 horsepower. That’s about what they would have if everybody (or anybody) was running 23 degree Chevy motors. I am giving an estimate of about 1400 horsepower for the really big dogs, just from running some numbers on intake airflow guesstimators.... then knowing that the pros are way better than roll your own guys like me. I can tell you that head technology today is amazing compared to when I built my first engine way back when.

How close is my guess you think?
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Shovel on a little more coal, then when we cross white oak mountain, watch 97 roll!

The problem is the gall dang motors.

Talked to Cornett’s guy in Marlar’s pit last year at World Finals in Charlotte. I think his name was Dan. Tall dude from Iowa. He said the motor Marlar was running was between 910-915 hp.

Just my thoughts. I don't think there much over 900.
    Even with the cars of today. I think that is all they can use

900+ is the norm. There is no difference between the Ford's and Chevy platforms HP wise. Torque is optimized at different rpm's though. Got that straight from Jack Cornett.

I've seen a lot of Pro Power claims in the 900s. You have to keep in mind that these engines aren't designed for all out peak HP like say a drag race engine. If they were, we'd be looking at 1,000 something numbers.

I guess I didn’t really think about it like that. My mentor is a drag racer. I really, really want to build a Super engine. I have wanted to all my life. But there’s about 6 super races a year around here and I would probably have to get Robbie to drive the thing. Limited motors are fun to build.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Shovel on a little more coal, then when we cross white oak mountain, watch 97 roll!

I always enjoyed building my own engines.. Never built one over 600. Never needed more. Had one built that was 650 and couldn't keep tires on a modified. Tell you where my weakness was.lol

I just really love building motors. I do demolition derby motors now too. My buddy wants me to try and start doing it as a business. I don’t know though. That’s a big flyer. I have never had a very good car but being under powered has never been an issue.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

If u r putting out reliable 800+ horsepower 23 degree engines, u have some bad sh!t figured out! Or your dyno is VERY friendly!

a couple years back , we angle milled the crap out of some old 23 degree brodex heads and made 780 on a 420 , i think there was a little left on the table but never tried.......

A big ry 45 can top out a bit over 900.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

I called one of the best head porters around today, I wanna send him some work. I am waiting for a call back.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    A big ry 45 can top out a bit over 900.
    i have not seen one yet , but there is talk of a 490 cub small block ford with the new kasse heads bumping over 1100 hp , suppose to be some where in georgia.......

I've heard so many guys after a win say, well that's are small motor or the big motor is hurt so we had to put this one in and we are down on HP. Hello, you just won the race bubble head. Don't get me wrong there are tracks that HP rules, eldora and knoxville come to mind. I don't believe there is a track under a 1/2 mile that needs a monster motor. Torque band , is what I want on a smaller track.

Most these guys start the night with around 900 hp. Then proceed to kill it all night with restrictors. I think thats part of what makes Bobby so good when it slicks off and has a cushion. They seem to really have that figured out.

I honestly think on a legit dyno a 430 ry45 is in the neighborhood of 860-880 , I would say a 10 degree spread bore is around 850 and a D3 around 820. You can make a dyno say anything you want , I call BS on all of this 950 plus stuff I hear. I’m sure one of these motors with a tunnel ram and a pair of 1050 dominators would make close to 1000 at 8500 rpm but that isn’t how they are run on dirt ....

The amazing thing now days in like the RY-45 Ford is the make incredible HP for so may RPMS. the Dyno curve on the new Fords are amazing, they make over 850 hp for almost 2500 RPM. The old days you could hit maybe 880, but its peaky and hard to drive.

You still dont need it in the slick, but without in qualifying and heat races, your a sitting duck.
    Last edited by Kromulous; 10-22-2019 at 02:18 PM.

Just say no...

900+ with one carburetor is really something though. That’s 175 percent of a really hot 358 with Dart heads.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

The wide bore late model motors are all over 900 now. The 410 sprint car injected engines are even more.

Quote Originally Posted by slingindirt83 View Post
    Most these guys start the night with around 900 hp. Then proceed to kill it all night with restrictors. I think thats part of what makes Bobby so good when it slicks off and has a cushion. They seem to really have that figured out.
    Dennis Erb jr ran 5th in the DTWC. He was running 16.8 or worse for a big chunk of the race. A 604 crate can do that lap time
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1