Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Almost All of " the best races I ever saw" came from outside the late model division......but to be fair, I have seen more (non dlm) racing over my life too so more to pick from.

The Hobby stock, pure stock , renegade ( whatever you want to call them) have been on fire the past couple years in my region with fantastic racing.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Alot come to mind but im just gonna list a few that i have been to and not well known be good ones.

1) the first Pelican 100- Ronnie Lee Hollingsworth and Bub McCool duel the whole race to only let Ray Moore scamper by on the bottom.
    2) MSCCS at Central Miss Speedway 2005- Jay Blair schools them by passing Chris Wall and David Brezeale on the high side on the last lap.
    3) 2011 Fall Classic at Whynot Motorsports Park- So many lead changes but Superman got them at the end.
    4) First Gumbo Nationals at Greenville Speedway- Bub McCool and Ray Moore dueled the whole 75 laps

I was there too: 2006 World 100
    Grumpy old dirt track fan. Anti-Sanction. Anti-Social. Anti-Media. Anti-SocialMedia. Anti-Climatic.

yep 06 World

2002 World 100

Quote Originally Posted by LugNutz View Post
    2002 World 100
    I wasn't there, but that one has to be in the top 5 of end of race calls ever.

"I can't swear to it but I think it was Birkhofer" - Ozzie Altman

Best one is tough so here's a couple of my favorite all timers

2006 World 100-anyone that was there knows why
    2014 Knoxville LMN-Birky makes the pass. Goosebumps typing it
    Can't remember the year but Cedar Lake, Bloomquist made a dash through the field after pitting to win. Might have even been the "How about that butt kicking" night. Everyone thought he was a lap down.
    UMPSN in Davenport, mid/late 90's. Rick Auckland passed Bloomquist off four to win and the place went nuclear.
    Dan Schlieper's first win on Xtreme (?) tour at Davenport. But not for him. For Gary Webb. Spun early, charged back through the field, ran out of gas at the line. People didn't make charges like that in Davenport, especially against that type of field. I've never heard a crowd give so much love to someone who didn't win.

2006 World 100 or the World Crown 4 Cylinder Nationals at Cherokee the year Brayden Pruitt started around 24th and she won it.
    If you aint got dirt, its your own asphalt!

Quote Originally Posted by tylerstorm View Post
    Best one is tough so here's a couple of my favorite all timers Dan Schlieper's first win on Xtreme (?) tour at Davenport. But not for him. For Gary Webb. Spun early, charged back through the field, ran out of gas at the line. People didn't make charges like that in Davenport, especially against that type of field. I've never heard a crowd give so much love to someone who didn't win.
    I remember that night...first HAT race at Davenport in 1998 on the half-mile. Gary came all the way up to 3rd at the end.

Probably the Heart of Dixie 40 at North Alabama in 2008 when Freddy Smith got his first Lucas win by barely holding off EPJ and Hartman.

2011 black Diamond 125 prelim at Tyler county with Doar and Marlar that race was unbelievable

2019 Silver Dollar Nationals- Its a Bobby Pierce win so automatically it not that popular on here but, No one was able to do what he did that night. The constant coming back losing the lead and coming back again never knowing if he was going to just plow into wall.

2013 Silver Dollar Nationals- I consider this race great because in reality the last part of race is rather boring yet I consider amazing because of all of the things that happened earlier. Its is one of those races that prove the point that not all great races have to have close finishes.

2010 MLRA race at Thunder Hill (KS)- Moyer edge out Chad Simpson I really thought Moyer was going to have to get out of the gas coming out of 2 since Simpson tried to slide him. It was probably the highest I had seen a car exit off 2 there and not go over the bank.

Also the most impressive thing I have seen from a Late Model came in that 2010 season at Thunder Hill during a July NCRA race where Kelly Boen's car was absolute perfection going around that race track, probably the prettiest I have ever seen a car turn on a Dirt Track
    Only in racing does a person knowingly put on a dud show, and then blames everyone else for not appreciating their dud show.

Quote Originally Posted by One Man Gang View Post
    Probably the Heart of Dixie 40 at North Alabama in 2008 when Freddy Smith got his first Lucas win by barely holding off EPJ and Hartman.
    I was there. It was great.

Any of the Fall Fest races at Challenger Raceway.
    Especially the two years that Gary Stuhler and Davey Johnson started in 20+ position and put on driving clinics to take the wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Boesel View Post
    2011 black Diamond 125 prelim at Tyler county with Doar and Marlar that race was unbelievable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zv_...&index=10&t=0s
    Formerly 66#1

Quote Originally Posted by jr29 View Post
    I was there. It was great.
    I’ve seen some great races at that track including that race Freddy won, the WoO race that Brad Neat won, a ton of SRRS races, a couple good SAS races. Seen some not so good stuff too like when Bub McCool barrel rolled, Kyle Beard tore down the power line but nothing compares to the wreck when Chris Wall broke his neck. I miss the glory days of NAS !!

Way too many great races attended in my over 40+ years of following Late Models and running a race track, to pick out the best...

But...

I saw Donnie Moran win a freaken million dollars... That will never be topped.
    Last edited by Big Daddy 37; 10-25-2019 at 07:30 PM.

Thanks for posting the video I forgot about Davey being in the mix that was a heck of a show worth the 16hr drive lol

I’m not sure I could even come up with the 25 best I’ve seen. I could come up with a list of probably 20 great races just from the World 100s and North/South 100s I’ve attended. But the most excited I’ve ever been for a race was the night my favorite driver, Donnie Moran, won the Eldora Million. Just the buzz around that race, the anticipation, etc., and then Donnie winning it. That was awesome. Whatever determines a great race — the field of cars, multiple grooves, passing throughout the race, the race for the lead, the final few laps, the last lap — I’m just glad there are so many tracks and so many events, that make it possible for so many of us in different parts of the country to be able to experience the sport’s greatest moments.

Default Best Races

1.)2006 World 100
    2.)Xtreme race at Atomic(Oh) in I think about 03’. Not a lot of cars, it had rained, weather didn’t look good. But it was a fabulous night of racing.
    3.)My brother’s big win at Sharon this year. Mostly sentimental, but it was a good race.

And yes, personally, I thinks pro stocks or whatever you wanna call them are some of the best racing. Them and the UMP modifieds.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.