Thread: Ct525

Default Ct525

What would be the issues in putting one of these in a gmc 2500? I always wanted 500hp in a stock truck!

Probably the same as putting any race motor in a stock vehicle.
    Drivability, overheating, poor fuel economy.

Could overcome some of these with loose converter, lower rearend gears, better cooling system.
    But then, its not a stock truck anymore. Be more fun, though.

it was built to run on pump gas so it should do ok , probably have to fab mounts and stuff.......

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    it was built to run on pump gas so it should do ok , probably have to fab mounts and stuff.......
    I already have the 6.0l ls motor, are they not the same? I assumed they were!

I think it's the same as an ls motor should be very doable maybe reprogram computer.

Easy swap. Ive done over 40 LS engine swaps, but all you would be doing is taking out a 6.0 and putting in a 6.2
    You could swap your intake and fuel system, or upgrade to an LS3 intake but that would create some issues with accessories due to the throttle body style.
    It will need some custom ECM tuning when your done to get the spark and fuel right.

Quote Originally Posted by SRXSRULE View Post
    Easy swap. Ive done over 40 LS engine swaps, but all you would be doing is taking out a 6.0 and putting in a 6.2
    You could swap your intake and fuel system, or upgrade to an LS3 intake but that would create some issues with accessories due to the throttle body style.
    It will need some custom ECM tuning when your done to get the spark and fuel right.

Just looked at the torque curve, looks like it would probably do alright in a stock situation. Going to need to be up in the revs to take advantage of bigger horsepower.

Simpler swap may be to just put the ct525 cam in your existing motor and reprogram computer.

I was planning on swapping out the intake and running my stock fuel injection. However, on the gm website, it keeps stating, ill have to switch my gas pedal to a drive by wire one, is that correct?

If you reuse your intake and fuel system you wont need to do a drive by wire system. Your truck must be 2002 or older? If it was me I would update it to a returnless fuel system and drive by wire because they work so much better and give you more tuning options. But for someone that doesnt do this all the time it will make things more difficult.

If you reuse your intake and fuel system you wont need to do a drive by wire system. Your truck must be 2002 or older? If it was me I would update it to a returnless fuel system and drive by wire because they work so much better and give you more tuning options. But for someone that doesnt do this all the time it will make things more difficult.
    Yep, its an 02! I bought it new and the past 7 years just drive it on the weekends.

I have rebuilt the trans and transfer case, so the motor is next!Im gathering up my parts list to convert the front torsion bars to coilovers!From what I have read, its a simple swap!

On the returnless fuel system, is that a factory option or aftermarket and how does it work?
    Last edited by ZERO25; 10-28-2019 at 09:58 PM.

"On the returnless fuel system, is that a factory option or aftermarket and how does it work?"

Its factory a thing. The factory just controls the power to the fuel pump to control fuel pressure. pulse width modulated. It can also be done with a regular fuel pump by using a corvette fuel filter (33737). This is an inline filter with a built in regulator which sets the pressure at 58psi.

"On the returnless fuel system, is that a factory option or aftermarket and how does it work?"

Its factory a thing. The factory just controls the power to the fuel pump to control fuel pressure. pulse width modulated. It can also be done with a regular fuel pump by using a corvette fuel filter (33737). This is an inline filter with a built in regulator which sets the pressure at 58psi.
    With your experience, pricewise, is this a good swap or should I just re-build my stocker with better parts?

"With your experience, pricewise, is this a good swap or should I just re-build my stocker with better parts?"

That depends. Do you all ready own the CT525, and is it still in good shape, or would you have to buy one?

It wouldnt be hard to get more power out of your 6.0

If you build your 6.0 your pan and all accessories will go right back on. No surprises.

"With your experience, pricewise, is this a good swap or should I just re-build my stocker with better parts?"

That depends. Do you all ready own the CT525, and is it still in good shape, or would you have to buy one?

It wouldnt be hard to get more power out of your 6.0

No, I was going to buy a new one!

"No, I was going to buy a new one!"

So that changes everything. A CT525 is like 8,000.00 You have MUCH better options! For starters, your truck made 300hp @ 4400 rpm and 360 lb.-ft. @ 4000 RPM when it was new.

https://paceperformance.com/i-238511...ine-460hp.html

This option is a performance 6.0 that you can bolt all your parts onto. Its 4600.00 and makes 460 HP and 470 TQ

Add some nice flowing exhaust to that and get a good custom tune on it and you can hit 500hp pretty easy.

Take a look around Pace Performance site and see your options.

"No, I was going to buy a new one!"

So that changes everything. A CT525 is like 8,000.00 You have MUCH better options! For starters, your truck made 300hp @ 4400 rpm and 360 lb.-ft. @ 4000 RPM when it was new.

https://paceperformance.com/i-238511...ine-460hp.html

This option is a performance 6.0 that you can bolt all your parts onto. Its 4600.00 and makes 460 HP and 470 TQ

Add some nice flowing exhaust to that and get a good custom tune on it and you can hit 500hp pretty easy.

Take a look around Pace Performance site and see your options.
    Thanks for the help. I have dual exhaust with stock manifolds but ive been looking at the Dynatech headers when I do the swap!

After noticing it was built by ATK, my cousin ran his wifes familys auto machine shop. They bought a lot of hard to find engines from ATK and always had good luck with them. I coulda got a heckuva discount then! lol
    Last edited by ZERO25; 11-01-2019 at 04:23 PM.

What kinda miles do you have on this thing. If you've maintained it well it's probably perfectly healthy you could do a cam and heads along with the headers intake and injectors your gonna have to buy regardless of what you do and make that power. Or you could leave it alone and just jam some air down it's throat with a supercharger or turbo and make much more and not sacrifice any drivability from the big na cam