Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by anissa5 View Post
    Was the birdcage clamped or just shock and spring
    If you clamp the birdcage, you must remove a bar and have a 3 link. Or, you will break stuff.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

I thought Hot Karl Chassis came up with the idea?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    If you clamp the birdcage, you must remove a bar and have a 3 link. Or, you will break stuff.
    we never ran it on anything but a 4 link , but your right , it is abusive on parts if there is any bind up , and with todays left rear suspension movement , i dont think it would work......

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    we never ran it on anything but a 4 link , but your right , it is abusive on parts if there is any bind up , and with todays left rear suspension movement , i dont think it would work......
    I assume you mean clamp the coilover mount? Not the cage, correct? I mean you could, but it is taking wrap-up torque. Everything would need to be strong enough... And you would not need a lift bar or pullbar.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

I assume you mean clamp the coilover mount? Not the cage, correct? I mean you could, but it is taking wrap-up torque. Everything would need to be strong enough... And you would not need a lift bar or pullbar.
    In 96 when GRT/Frye started developing that for their cars, they kept the top bars on. They/us never had a problem with breaking parts!

FWIW......With this setup, Frye came from the rear to win the Shootout, passing Bloomer on the outside! The best and only good race I have ever seen at Dixie!

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    In 96 when GRT/Frye started developing that for their cars, they kept the top bars on. They/us never had a problem with breaking parts!

FWIW......With this setup, Frye came from the rear to win the Shootout, passing Bloomer on the outside! The best and only good race I have ever seen at Dixie!
    I'm shocked that was ever effective. I have floated leaf springs instead of clamping them to the tube!
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

I'm shocked that was ever effective. I have floated leaf springs instead of clamping them to the tube!
    I could envision some interesting things with a mono on the lr!

yes , the bird cage we used had the option to leave shock mount bolted to bird cage or take bolt out and bolt it to the inside clamp which put it clamped to the axle tube , we ran a lift bar , with a weaker spring , but that was about it other than a stiffer rebound on 5th shock....it made very good forward bite in the slick...

yes , the bird cage we used had the option to leave shock mount bolted to bird cage or take bolt out and bolt it to the inside clamp which put it clamped to the axle tube , we ran a lift bar , with a weaker spring , but that was about it other than a stiffer rebound on 5th shock....it made very good forward bite in the slick...
    Were those the twm's, like the ones grt used?

Ok. I'm with you now. I ran that sometimes on a Mastersbilt.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

Initially the coil-over was in front mounted to birdcage, it all floated. Mid to late 90's they split the birdcage so you could either bolt the two halves together (making it one piece) or 'clamp' the shock to the axle tube (the half with the coil-over mount would have a bolt that made it solid with the axle). Gave a very good amount of lr drive, the issue was really when coming off the gas it would tend to 'slam down' if you could not ease out of the gas. When the coil-over moved behind the axle we would still 'clamp' the front shock at times, worked very well.

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    Were those the twm's, like the ones grt used?
    yes they were , i still have them some where..

Quote Originally Posted by EvelB7 View Post
    Initially the coil-over was in front mounted to birdcage, it all floated. Mid to late 90's they split the birdcage so you could either bolt the two halves together (making it one piece) or 'clamp' the shock to the axle tube (the half with the coil-over mount would have a bolt that made it solid with the axle). Gave a very good amount of lr drive, the issue was really when coming off the gas it would tend to 'slam down' if you could not ease out of the gas. When the coil-over moved behind the axle we would still 'clamp' the front shock at times, worked very well.
    it would unload quick , we tried to counter this by more angle in upper bar and very aggressive brake pads on left rear , with the proper amount of trail braking , you could still get in corner pretty good.....

yes they were , i still have them some where..
    Our buddy, Frye, had the lockup mount, but he didn't have an extra bolt. Do you know how hard it is to find an extra long bolt, when you have the whole lr tore apart, in between the heat and b-main? lol

This has been a great read! I'm currently building a vintage leaf spring late model. I can do anything I want with the suspension as long as I'm using the leaf springs. I've been thinking of going with the mono leaf/coil over/ with a lift bar. What's some other things done back in the day as far as floating the left or right side? Front spring rates and stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia dirt slinger View Post
    This has been a great read! I'm currently building a vintage leaf spring late model. I can do anything I want with the suspension as long as I'm using the leaf springs. I've been thinking of going with the mono leaf/coil over/ with a lift bar. What's some other things done back in the day as far as floating the left or right side? Front spring rates and stuff?
    If you see Bloomquist at a track somewhere when he's not busy ask him some stuff. I know Scott and Duwayne Hommel ran 1 much later than most testing new leads and stuff. Scott thought for awhile that leafs might still be faster on certain tracks. He now knows the 4 bar drive off is just far superior.

I was under the impression that Larry Phillips tried it first in the mid 90's with no success, and that's where Joe Garrison got the idea from? Maybe I'm wrong.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by No_Weak_Links View Post
    If I remember correctly Bloomquist even tried to reinvent the leaf spring in some form with no success.
    Not exactly. Bloomquist was involved with some testing with Hyperco/Warrior when they introduced their composite leaf springs. The chassis I believe was actually built by Warrior and Hommel did some of the driving duties during testing. I have some pics somewhere of it, but "No" Bloomquist didn't try to reinvent leaf springs. By the way, the springs work great, I helped a guy win the Victorian Super Sedan Championship with a set of those leafs in 2015.

This is the man that did most of the suspension innovations over the past few decades

https://www.facebook.com/hotkarl37/v...2290557984917/

Quote Originally Posted by Taboo62 View Post
    Not exactly. Bloomquist was involved with some testing with Hyperco/Warrior when they introduced their composite leaf springs. The chassis I believe was actually built by Warrior and Hommel did some of the driving duties during testing. I have some pics somewhere of it, but "No" Bloomquist didn't try to reinvent leaf springs. By the way, the springs work great, I helped a guy win the Victorian Super Sedan Championship with a set of those leafs in 2015.
    Hommel came Baxter TN one night with one of Scott's own car's,it was a big race for the supers and he kicked butt talking to him after the race and he said he was helping Scott try some new leaf spring.This was after most people had quit the leafs.