Default 3 link on Swing Arms ?

Has anyone tried using swing arms on 3 link setup instead of trailing arms ? run in class that must have cages locked. If I recall correctly old GRTs used to used swingarms setup , but do not recall if they used upper link going towards rear of car.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermod View Post
    Has anyone tried using swing arms on 3 link setup instead of trailing arms ? run in class that must have cages locked. If I recall correctly old GRTs used to used swingarms setup , but do not recall if they used upper link going towards rear of car.
    Late 90s GRT were a true swingarm with trailing arms going to the rear.

You could set the car up as a 3 link, with locked cages and trailing arms removed.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I have one that way but it doesn't have Bird cages it has weld on brackets on tubes we at first tried it with springs on arms car was very tight my son didn't like it .We then put rd spring on top of housing left lr on swing arm much better then we put rr behind left lr on swing arm best yet but then track got some kind of crazy idea and made us take it off swing arm..All we are doing now is using swing arm for a trailing arm this car has a 52 in solid top link foward drive has never been a problem with this set up biggest problem has been freeing car up on entry . We trail rr bout an inch it has 16 in rr swing arm 12 in on left we have discovered this set up likes a lot of bite in the 150 to 200 # range.

thanks for info all. I see the old DW setup guide shows them using swingarms as well with locked cages. I may give it a try, the question becomes will it work any better than a plain old 3 link setup.....wont know till I try I suppose lol.RW57, sounds like you have had good luck with the swingarm deal though.

It's been good for us. Go to Close Racing Supply's web site they do it on Camaro clip cars they build . They also do open wheels too. I buy parts from them good people. When you get it right you won't be disappointed. I have some friends that have their clip cars they are very tough .

Swing arms are great for muddy and rough because the tires are always being pushed into the ground.
    250-300 lbs of LR bite is typical.
    They work very well but you'll also be the freak out there and might have to experiment more to find what the car likes.

The difference between a 3 link and a 3 link with suspension on the swingarms is just motion ratio. It just makes the springs less effective on the arms. You will need stiffer springs, compared to mounting on top of rear housing. Now, if clamped to housing, spaced out from center of tube a ways, now axle wrap comes into play too.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

You are correct it took a little while to find sweet spot I have seen photos of my car wrinkling the side wall on lr tire coming off corner where the fire is being planted in the track. Like I said biggest problem we had when my son drove it too tight on entry and he didn't have the experience to adapt to it he didn't like a loose car anywhere on track and it has to be pretty free on entry to rotate correctly me i just adapt to it .He was very good in car but the minute I started freeing entry for him he didn't like it.