Thread: Why 12k????

Default Why 12k????

The World Finals has grown into one of the top 15, maybe top 10 events of the year, yet it only pays 12. Anybody else think it’s time for a purse bump like me? Maybe to twin 15k.....
    2023 Races - WoO at TST

Because it's three divisions, not one. The total winners share on the weekend is already at 54k, and that's not even considering payback through the field for 6 features. The total purse is right up there with the biggest events on dirt.

The idea of adding 3k to the winners adds at least another 18k to the nut they have to crack.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

And there is no reason to pay more if so many drivers are coming anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    Because it's three divisions, not one. The total winners share on the weekend is already at 54k, and that's not even considering payback through the field for 6 features. The total purse is right up there with the biggest events on dirt.

The idea of adding 3k to the winners adds at least another 18k to the nut they have to crack.
    Nice point. I had no idea what the sprints and big blocks paid. I get it now.
    2023 Races - WoO at TST

Quote Originally Posted by dirt crow View Post
    Nice point. I had no idea what the sprints and big blocks paid. I get it now.
    Funny you mention that. I was talking to some people the other day and the point was made about how the purses for dirt late model races are advertised all over the place, but they aren't in sprint cars and other forms of racing.

Quote Originally Posted by MRM View Post
    Funny you mention that. I was talking to some people the other day and the point was made about how the purses for dirt late model races are advertised all over the place, but they aren't in sprint cars and other forms of racing.
    Yes! Different world that’s for sure

Quote Originally Posted by MRM View Post
    Big block modified folks seem to be getting into announcing bigger purse races the past year or two. It's just that they're almost exclusively a northeast thing so it goes largely unnoticed except in the northeast.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Some of you folks need a business lesson. If all of the best cars in the country are already coming and the crowd is already sold out, why the hell would they pay more? Racetracks are a business, not a charity.

Quote Originally Posted by GEAR_HEAD View Post
    Some of you folks need a business lesson. If all of the best cars in the country are already coming and the crowd is already sold out, why the hell would they pay more? Racetracks are a business, not a charity.

I believe the technical term for that is if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

It’s 100% correct in this case as well. Somewhere in the last few years it’s became almost villainous to actually run a business with the goal of making a profit.

Much of this has already been said of the purse, but my 2 cents...
    Yes, the 12k to win and 1k to start isnt a great purse for such a huge event, but...

From a promoters standpoint, all the top divers ARE there, you sell out every year, what motivation do you have to increase the purse? You are not gonna get much more cars or fans.

And if you look at the total purse they are paying, its basically a 32k to win show, 2600 to start, with a 130k (24 car) purse EACH night. Not many shows can compare to that.

Bill

SprintCarRatings.com

They did raise it this year. Sprints were 12k as well and mods were 7500 (not sure what they paid in the past)

Now I'm for capitalism and making a profit, but this got me thinking.....
    Who is the one making the profit?
    Does WRG/dirtcar rent the track from ISC (now owned by nascar) or does ISC get all that profit?
    I cant believe all us redneck dirt racers would give all that money to big bad nascar! /sarcasm.

What I don’t understand is....why don’t they use the track more?

Quote Originally Posted by tb1545 View Post
    Now I'm for capitalism and making a profit, but this got me thinking.....
    Who is the one making the profit?
    Does WRG/dirtcar rent the track from ISC (now owned by nascar) or does ISC get all that profit?
    I cant believe all us redneck dirt racers would give all that money to big bad nascar! /sarcasm.
    Pretty sure SMI (Bruton Smith and Co) own the track!

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    Pretty sure SMI (Bruton Smith and Co) own the track!
    Yea you're right. Forgot about SMI. Some reason I thought them and ISC combined when nascar ratings started hitting the dumpster a few years back.
    So does WRG rent from SMI or is it SMI taking the profit/loss?

Quote Originally Posted by tb1545 View Post
    Yea you're right. Forgot about SMI. Some reason I thought them and ISC combined when nascar ratings started hitting the dumpster a few years back.
    So does WRG rent from SMI or is it SMI taking the profit/loss?
    joint venture

It might be a cooperative effort since WRG relocated to Concord but make no mistake, WRG has NO money when one compares it to Bruton Smith's big steam roller organization. And SMI doesn't even include the 64 car dealerships, real estate and landfill operations, etc. and Smith is still said to be money hungry.