Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Clear your messages barbecueboy

Was told the new promoters are planning to reconfigure the track into a 3/8th mile oval with wide high banks on both ends wich should improve the racing greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtPhantom View Post
    Was told the new promoters are planning to reconfigure the track into a 3/8th mile oval with wide high banks on both ends wich should improve the racing greatly.
    That would be kinda like friendship speedway right.

Quote Originally Posted by EvelB7 View Post
    My luck there has always been terrible, semi-long drive to get there, bad luck and a long drive home... Always appreciated the people as I said, did have quite a bit of fun on some of the two day shows back in the day...Haven't been in probably four years.
    Had a good time a few times there till we ran outta beer. Fill it with water and stock it with fish!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HIGH ROLLER View Post
    Screven is 3/8 with wide-ish turns....
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Over time, dirt tracks can "evolve" from their original design. Yeas of grading, especially where a turn 4 meets the front-stretch-retaining-wall . tends to elevate the race track relative to the wall. As the wall can't move, this becomes a potential safety issue, and track prepping has to make adjustments. 4th turns often have a different radius than turn 3, along with an affected banking-transition to the front stretch. It may not be as acute with the advanced modern suspensions, but it does render the 4th turn less racy....resulting in a tip-toe and follow-the-leader situation. It's not just a width problem, but includes radius and transition.

Quote Originally Posted by HIGH ROLLER View Post
    Similar, FMS would have wider radius in the turns if the infield is not narrowed. I was told it would remain a true oval, not a D shaped oval.

Without Cape Fear gumbo for a racing surface, it will remain the crappy track it always has been. That hole in the woods where they use to dig their "clay" was never much more than a sand pit.

Fill it with water and open a carp lake!!!

With all this talk of reconfiguration, if it is to happen, I wish the new promoters would take a road trip and run up to Wayne County and look at that now defunct track. A high banked short track where they use to let it rip! Its presentation would fit nicely within the confines of Fayetteville's concrete grandstands . . . . something similar to what was done at Gaffney. IMO, the racing really improved there after the track was shortened.

Quote Originally Posted by jog49 View Post
    With all this talk of reconfiguration, if it is to happen, I wish the new promoters would take a road trip and run up to Wayne County and look at that now defunct track. A high banked short track where they use to let it rip! Its presentation would fit nicely within the confines of Fayetteville's concrete grandstands . . . . something similar to what was done at Gaffney. IMO, the racing really improved there after the track was shortened.

Jog, when I heard of the shortening to 3/8th, the first thing that came to my mind was Wayne County. I would LOVE to see them duplicate that track at Fayetteville. Do you know what Wayne Co was banked at?
    If you aint got dirt, its your own asphalt!

I hope they do shorten the track as it has been mentioned on this thread, sounds like a great idea. My advice would be to start moving some dirt fairly soon. It will be quite a job to get that done in a couple of months.

Hey Chris! I don't know the banking but at the outside pit track opening in turns 1 & 2, it was quite a drop to the infield, as you will recall. I remember standing there one time talking to Carlton Lamm, talking about the drop, and him commenting that it was pretty steep. Some great racing took place there and as you might also remember, Ray Tucker had "mastered" the place. Remember that super dooper battle between Earl Pearson and Ricky Elliott where both of them ended up getting disqualified for idiotic reasons by the lame excuse for promoters? That was a race for the ages that doesn't come along very often.

Jog, I remember all that. I remember the last lap pass Tucker put on Tyndall coming off turn 4. I will never know how he got between Tyndall and the wall but he did. Best pass I have ever seen. As far as banking, the straights were banked more than a lot of tracks corners.

However the end up re configuring the track it very simply needs 2 things, width & progressive banking

I was there a couple times, and from what i seen i would agree with Switchback, but add that it needs new dirt !

Its one of them tracks where you cant get out of line and out in the crumbs, other wise your going backwards. Especially in the heat races, only way to pass it root someone up out of the line. It may just be the red clay, or lack of clay, but once a track cleans up it will get racey, but getting there takes a long time here.

Just say no...

Switchback, when I talked to the new promoter he told me those were in the plans. He told me they were shooting for 20-25 degree banking. We will have to wait and see.

Wayne County was awesome, as was Ray Tucker at Wayne County. But personally, I wouldn't go with that much banking. 10-12 degrees seems to work better, in my opinion.

What is the banking at tazewell or bulls gap? Those places are cool and they definitely produce some good racing on occasion but If I'm a driver Im not so sure I would want to run that week in and week out.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

This news is a couple of days old but for those that don't know they have started work on the track reconfiguration.