Thread: UMP Mod Engine?

Default UMP Mod Engine?

I thought i would post in this section, have some questions about oil system on a Mod Engine.

What are people using for an Oil Pump now days? are the single stage pump on the belhousing a good option? like from Wulf etc. Spring oilers in the valve covers an option with wet sump? Also a good wet sump pan? I see some aluminum ones out there, but no idea who makes a good one.

We have been running LMs for the past several years, and not had any wet sump stuff.

The engine will be a 430, 4" stroke in a 4.155" bore, old LM engine we have, 18 degree. Actually there High port All Pro castings, rolled to 18*, anyway, it was 760 hp in an Aluminum block. So we're using all that stuff in a new steel block of some sort.

Lightest weight block to get?

Thanks for any guidance, Krom

Just say no...

Dart shp is the lightest and most tried and true at this time. I bought a brodix steel block but haven't put it together yet, they are within 5lbs of the SHP. The Lil M is 30/40 pds heavier and on up on iron eagle. Propan is a common wet sump pan, dan olson as well, olson welds seem to look better.

Dan Olsen pans are the way to go. They build a pan for either internal or external pumps.
    A lot depends on block ports. whether block has oil filter provision, etc.

Just have to decide what you want to do.

I have single stage Peterson R4 pump with a 1" rotor width, and a 1-1/4 rotor width
    Biggest thing is getting the rotor sized right for the motor needs. (at least for the R4)

may want to rethink the 4" stroke. you have 1/2 as much tire for a modified. gonna be difficult to deal with in slicker track conditions.
    JMO though
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Yeah, i am thinking the same thing about the 4" stroke, we have new pistons for it already, so i thought about going to a 3.75" stroke and a 6.125" rod. I have to talk to our Engine guy and see if the heads are suitable for the smaller cubes. I don't like the 4" stroke either because we have to run a tiny base circle cam.

It will be a SHP Block i guess, drain back i guess is good in those, i see where Mullins opens them up somewhat. That or an Iron Eagle with a raised cam, not sure yet.

On the single stage pumps, how do you handle the fuel and power steering? I guess you could go mech pump, on the block, and a power steering off the dry sump pump.

JustAddDirt, are you retiring or just going to race the Crates?

Just say no...

Quote Originally Posted by Kromulous View Post
    Yeah, i am thinking the same thing about the 4" stroke, we have new pistons for it already, so i thought about going to a 3.75" stroke and a 6.125" rod. I have to talk to our Engine guy and see if the heads are suitable for the smaller cubes. I don't like the 4" stroke either because we have to run a tiny base circle cam.

It will be a SHP Block i guess, drain back i guess is good in those, i see where Mullins opens them up somewhat. That or an Iron Eagle with a raised cam, not sure yet.

On the single stage pumps, how do you handle the fuel and power steering? I guess you could go mech pump, on the block, and a power steering off the dry sump pump.

JustAddDirt, are you retiring or just going to race the Crates?
    Yes that is what I do power steering off back side of oil pump, and holly mechanical fuel pump.
    I try to keep it relatively simple.
    I got a raised cam, wide pan rail block I would part with if you need one. No oil filter, so you have to run a remote, which worked well with external pump and cooler. Even got one of them fancy Peterson primer deals on the remote oil filter housing, I am no longer using.

Selling everything I got, toter, trailer, primary motor, spare motor, car, tons of stuff.
    we will see how sale goes. I am getting really tired of all the work, and expense of it all.
    I'm having to do most everything by myself. Getting old and tired
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Dam, i hate to hear that, always enjoyed watching you race, especially riling them up down at Florence LOL. I hear ya on the work, its all we can do to keep up, and my Brother works 2 jobs to pay for most of it.

I think thats what we're going to do, external pump, thats what i am used too.

Just say no...