Thread: Heavy Left rear

Default Heavy Left rear

After the infamous Left rear device that forced a rule change from the Lucas guys I know many began different ways of a heavy left rear axle tube, birdcage and so on. Anyone have any feedback on a set up like this? In 2020 where I run we are being put in hard tires. I'm looking for feedback on if the heavy left rear traction is worth the money for parts.

We've run with and without the lr steel birdcage didn't notice a big difference. But hard tires or not traction should not be a issue with a four bar car especially with today's setups. Most people looking for traction have issues on turn in or rotating the center of the corner

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia dirt slinger View Post
    After the infamous Left rear device that forced a rule change from the Lucas guys I know many began different ways of a heavy left rear axle tube, birdcage and so on. Anyone have any feedback on a set up like this? In 2020 where I run we are being put in hard tires. I'm looking for feedback on if the heavy left rear traction is worth the money for parts.
    Heavy lr was actually used before the device was banned. It just became more known afterwards. I have run more weight there than you could imagine and I have run normal weight. I have won both ways. In general, unsprung weight is still bad.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

your last sentence MSR are my beliefs as well , especially on dirt.......

I find it interesting how you guys are against unsprung weight. Steve Baker Or Barker, cant remember his last name, that works for Rocket suggested the heavy left rear and said they run it on the house car nearly all the time with great success.

I find it interesting how you guys are against unsprung weight. Steve Baker Or Barker, cant remember his last name, that works for Rocket suggested the heavy left rear and said they run it on the house car nearly all the time with great success.
    It can ruin your day on a rough track. If your car is usually hard to get turned in the corner, the added weight can help it pivot. This can also lead to loss of sidebite. You are really just changing the percentage of the LR load that leaves the tire during weight transfer. That is, if you are not bouncing around...

In general, the more your suspension weighs, the harder it is to tame over bumps and the harder it is to change direction.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    your last sentence MSR are my beliefs as well , especially on dirt.......
    What they said

Default Shocks

So are the guys going to a massive compression and soft rebound shock and long spring set up to keep the left rear planted and the spring from coming unsprung from the shock on the left rear now? Ive always thought that a 90/10 shock would work to keep the car hiked up. Or maybe two 90/10 shocks, one with the spring and one as a traction shock. She'd be hiked up then!

It is Baker and you are correct their was a time not to long ago when they ran it all the time but i believe they have gravitated away from it. The big problem is it can't be easily changed when you don't need it. When i spoke to him recently he said it's a preference thing some like it some don't

There are an awful lot of those cages for sale these days...
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    It is Baker and you are correct their was a time not to long ago when they ran it all the time but i believe they have gravitated away from it. The big problem is it can't be easily changed when you don't need it. When i spoke to him recently he said it's a preference thing some like it some don't
    Theres def some easier ways to do it. Sometimes the easiest way is overlooked!

For the price of an engine rebuild, you can get a nice tungsten wheel spacer. 🤣
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Thanks guys. I guess ill try it and see how it works.

I got a heavy lr cage off xr1 ran about 7 nights sold the car will make you a deal on it