Default Considering going half way? Converting mod to lay over on RF and long/light LR

I am old school and have a standard 600 RF spring and a 200 lb LR spring. (Team SE four bar Modified w/Chevelle clip)

But to help my car turn better through the corners, several people are trying to get me to lighten up the RF (~400# & add bump stop to protect shock) to lay over on the RF and keep the LR elevated/loaded with a light (~100 lb) LR long spring that is heavily preloaded.

However, since I have been driving the same way for so long, I am hesitant to completely switch to that style setup. In everyone's opinion, if I Only went half-way to this setup, would I still get some benefits without completely changing the feel of the car? (example change RF to a 500# and LR to a 150#)

Any all input welcome, thanks KB

Only thing worse than doing nothing is doing it halfway.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I am in the same boat as you right now. I have been running the "old school" setup forever and I am in the process of working the RF down and the LR up higher. The 2 side effects that I have come across are, #1) with more RF travel, I was unloading the LR contact patch. Even with the softer LR spring, the LR travel limiter was not allowing the tire contact patch to stay loaded. #2) When allowing more LR travel, I ran across multiple LR rear suspension issues that needed to be considered and adjusted ( 4 bar angles, birdcage indexing, rear steer and J bar angle) and then there is the added height of any weight. (Fuel cell, battery, ballast and driver) I do all of my own chassis work, so I don't have a manufacturer to get input from. I was hoping that this subject would come up and some others, that have gone through these same growing pains, could give some input as to a less painful approach to achieve the RF down LR up type setup.
    Our Creed: "Where two or more are gathered, there shall be a RACE!"

Remember that the bump stop adds the rate you lost initially with the softer RF spring. So all you have done is make it progressive, the last couple inches of travel gets stiffer exponentially.

I will say some Drivers dont like it.

Just say no...

Thanks for the input guys. Out of curiousity, how much shock travel are they getting on the RF when they are pinning it with a soft spring?

You also need to run the newer "platinum" style spring on the RF to get all of the travel, I set mine up with a 500 lb blue spring and still was over 1" higher then my friends car that was running the platinum springs at coil bind
    Last edited by rrrrick; 12-05-2019 at 05:20 PM.

Who makes these platinum springs? I never heard of such a thing.

I know in the LM world that had extended travel type, basically less coils, so the pack was shorter at coil bind.

Just say no...

Eibach Platinum

Underdog, I'm also running TeamSE modifieds. Always ran standard 600 rf 200 lr til 2018. Finally gave in and went to a 20" 100 on the left rear heavily preloaded, on smoother tracks I'm running a 400 rf, on rough tracks I'm between 450 and 500. 1" purple all star bump on rf, 2" penske medium bump on lf. What a difference. I love the way it made the car drive. I think you will too. Send me a message if you want any more info

Quote Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. Out of curiousity, how much shock travel are they getting on the RF when they are pinning it with a soft spring?
    RF travel is in the 4" range typically depending on where it's mounted. I know some guys move the shock ahead of the upper control arm to make clearance for camber gain and that will cause a little more movement with LR hike up and chassis roll

Quote Originally Posted by Kromulous View Post
    Who makes these platinum springs? I never heard of such a thing.I know in the LM world that had extended travel type, basically less coils, so the pack was shorter at coil bind.
    Krom your inbox is full and can’t send you a PM

Copy that, cleared it out.

Were switching to swift, after some study and talking to a few racers.

Just say no...