Thread: LR Index

Default LR Index

What is everyone running for index? Does anyone pay attention to static index numbers? Seeing a lot of guys look like the have a ton

i guess im confused on how some use the word index , to me , there is two factors of indexing , one is what the bird cage does during dynamic roll , the other is when you shorten or lengthen the 4 bar lengths to index the cages at static....

I'm not sure what he's asking either. And if I do understand, I'm not seeing the same thing.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Some guys measure the fwd lean of the cage at full droop and call that the amount of indexing. Same with static, or ride height, zero straight up or leaning fwd or aft static.

Most cars I see at full droop are in 10 degree range. Some cars are an exception, K cars are one they have some serious indexing going on.

You can also move the bars closer together or further apart on the cage and that will affect the curve, like a bell curve of the indexing thru the travel. We tried moving the bar aft 1 inch on the cage and it would add index right at the bottom 2 inches of travel.

Just say no...

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    I'm not sure what he's asking either. And if I do understand, I'm not seeing the same thing.
    Sorry, what I am getting at is. At static, we have always put the cages at zero degrees (tilt) measured on the flat spot of the birdcage with angle finder. Is this the correct way of doing it? In my original post I was referring that It seems people are running a lot more, maybe not worrying about where it is at static and trying to achieve a certain degree at dynamic. Thanks

I'm not a chassis Guru by no means, but from my experience, I have been more concerned with the dynamic position of the birdcage rather than the static. Basically, dynamic is how it performs on the track. Static is how it sits on the trailer headed to the track.
    Our Creed: "Where two or more are gathered, there shall be a RACE!"

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedFrame21 View Post
    Sorry, what I am getting at is. At static, we have always put the cages at zero degrees (tilt) measured on the flat spot of the birdcage with angle finder. Is this the correct way of doing it? In my original post I was referring that It seems people are running a lot more, maybe not worrying about where it is at static and trying to achieve a certain degree at dynamic. Thanks
    Ok. I follow now. Yes, just like wheel weights, nothing at ride height matters. You don't race there. This includes if your cage is 12 and 6.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by turtle1hp View Post
    I'm not a chassis Guru by no means, but from my experience, I have been more concerned with the dynamic position of the birdcage rather than the static. Basically, dynamic is how it performs on the track. Static is how it sits on the trailer headed to the track.
    static is nothing but a reference sitting in shop that if you crash or something , you have a reference to get back to , with todays set ups , dynamic is everything to me , we have took a rolling chassis's with adjusting rods in place of shocks and placed car in what we think is a starting dynamic position and pulled it around the track with a 4 wheeler and visually observed it , you would be amazed what you will find.....BTW , i use my old frame machine as a homemade pull down rig , but it will not show you what i described above , especially at a particular track.......

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    we have took a rolling chassis's with adjusting rods in place of shocks and placed car in what we think is a starting dynamic position and pulled it around the track with a 4 wheeler and visually observed it , you would be amazed what you will find.....
    Done that but actually ran the car with rods. Surprisingly the car ran the fastest lap with solid rods on it over actual shocks and springs, LMAO

Now granted the other 9 laps that way where slow as hell but that one lap. . . . . Grins

PS: I do NOT recommend trying this, it's a hand full but that's the way you learn things so be careful
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 12-03-2019 at 01:15 PM.

Default bar-ed up literally

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    Done that but actually ran the car with rods. Surprisingly the car ran the fastest lap with solid rods on it over actual shocks and springs, LMAO

Now granted the other 9 laps that way where slow as hell but that one lap. . . . . Grins

PS: I do NOT recommend trying this, it's a hand full but that's the way you learn things so be careful
    I have often thought of doing a solid rod on the LR and RF, and trying to test it, or at least a solid rod on LR. Never had the balls to try it though.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Done that but actually ran the car with rods. Surprisingly the car ran the fastest lap with solid rods on it over actual shocks and springs, LMAONow granted the other 9 laps that way where slow as hell but that one lap. . . . . GrinsPS: I do NOT recommend trying this, it's a hand full but that's the way you learn things so be careful
    Poor chassis lol

my buddy still swears to this day , the fastest his car ever was , was when the left bird cage over cammed one time at Cleveland and he won the race , this was before all the hold up shocks and stuff

This was many years ago, but it will teach you something about tire spring rates. Anymore the tires are more of a spring sometimes then the cars suspension

Building a simple tire dyno will open some eyes on spring rates of different tires.

This was many years ago, but it will teach you something about tire spring rates. Anymore the tires are more of a spring sometimes then the cars suspension

Building a simple tire dyno will open some eyes on spring rates of different tires.
    I want a rolling tire dyno that can also spin the tire independent of conveyor. Also yaw the tire relative to the conveyor and introduce camber. Probably going to need to use electromagnets to add loads to the tire at the frequency I want. Let me know when its done.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Austin34471 View Post
    I want a rolling tire dyno that can also spin the tire independent of conveyor. Also yaw the tire relative to the conveyor and introduce camber. Probably going to need to use electromagnets to add loads to the tire at the frequency I want. Let me know when its done.
    Wait I thought we agreed, you was doing this one?

https://youtu.be/nmo_dkNZIHM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96ME_I5s-gQ

2nd one looks cheap. . .
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 12-03-2019 at 07:30 PM.

Wait I thought we agreed, you was doing this one?

https://youtu.be/nmo_dkNZIHM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96ME_I5s-gQ

2nd one looks cheap. . .
    omg at the 2nd one. I asked OptimumG at PRI last year how much it would be to put a dirt tire on their machine.. it was like .3333 brand new rocket XR1 rollers per hour

MTS makes fine test equipment.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I don't want to test tires because I can't manufacture one. Now part of a system...
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1