Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Transmission Rotating Weight

Which transmission has the least amount of rotating weight? Bert,Brinn,Falcone etc.

Default ..............

Anyone????

The Brinn tranny is prob going to be the most supported, Brinn is very supported as far as rebuildabilty, I am not sure what everybody else will say, but they all are similar when it comes to cost and dependabality.

IF i AM THE DRIVER, I WOULD prefer the brinn over most.

think its peanuts in the scheme of things, there all going to be close, I've heard the 2nd gen bert has very little rotating weight in high, alot have went to the falcon too, but i don't think there is much difference in high gear, you would have to be on a chassis dyno and try them all to see, i would be very surprised if it was over 2-3 hp difference in them all

2nd gen bert

Ive done no testing but i have rebuilt both and i would have to agree with cchief but i know their are some"crate" transmissions out their that are lighter yet

I would agree, the 2nd gen Bert doesn’t have a lot rotating in high gear. Virtually straight shot threw. Has just enough turning to splash lube bearings.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Do any of the transmission places offer REM polishing (bearings and gears), or lower drag bearings?

Not that there's a whole lot of resistance with a couple bearings, but if you're wanting to squeak the most out of it, this would be another avenue...
    Here's my little home on Youtube!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AmickRacing
    Home Page
    http://www.AmickRacing.com

Quote Originally Posted by AmickRacing View Post
    Do any of the transmission places offer REM polishing (bearings and gears), or lower drag bearings?

Not that there's a whole lot of resistance with a couple bearings, but if you're wanting to squeak the most out of it, this would be another avenue...
    I'm sure one of them would sell you what you want, but i don't think it will be the difference of winning or losing, i would look to spend your money somewhere else

very good advice grt........

i agree with grt

AmickRacing, you could try hightower transmissions as he did/does a lot REM and low friction stuff.

To the OP: Define what your looking for on lowest rotating wieght?

1. 2 products can have equal rotating weights but be completely different in acceleration rates due to diameter of said mass.
    2. Also due to diameter or friction losses, one may have less rotating weight but still take longer to accelerate or rob more power.
    3. Also there are times where I DON'T want the lowest rotating weight, again goes back to application

But as others have said, pretty sure it's the 2nd gen Bert.

billet , that no. 3 can be confusing to people , but it is like running a super light crank shaft , some times a heavier crank helps an inexperienced driver tremendously in the slick.......

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    AmickRacing, you could try hightower transmissions as he did/does a lot REM and low friction stuff.

To the OP: Define what your looking for on lowest rotating wieght?

1. 2 products can have equal rotating weights but be completely different in acceleration rates due to diameter of said mass.
    2. Also due to diameter or friction losses, one may have less rotating weight but still take longer to accelerate or rob more power.
    3. Also there are times where I DON'T want the lowest rotating weight, again goes back to application

But as others have said, pretty sure it's the 2nd gen Bert.

Im surprised someone like Hightower hasn't gotten into dlm's with some of their lightweight trans, maybe even 3 or 4 speed! Any thoughts???

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    Im surprised someone like Hightower hasn't gotten into dlm's with some of their lightweight trans, maybe even 3 or 4 speed! Any thoughts???
    Hmmmmm, no takers! Must have some of ya thinkin! lol

I'm not sure why no one has eliminated the trans completely from the back of the engine, and incorporated it in the reaend housing.

Planetary in input shaft, or behind quick change gears for low and reverse, with in/out coupler for direct.

Production Corvettes have had trans with drive axle for some time.

Would fix that need for push truck with sprints as well.

Might be too good an idea?
    Last edited by 95shaw; 12-05-2019 at 11:07 PM.

At some point the car advances in technology past the point of its intended purpose. Are we building F1 cars for dirt or are we trying to preserve the intent of production cars?

hightower has had at least one of his trans in a high-end crate car before. a few laps after a start/restart, the driver would shift into 3rd gear. i was told the trans was around $10k.

If you have a super DLM,or a open to the rules Mod.it doesen't matter what trans,you are going to use.Now on the other hand if your running a Crate or limited Mod.,you better have the Bert Sec. Gen.

The Brinn and Falcon,are copies of the Bert.
    you just got greased
    http://www.goddardwarrior.net