Post loaded question about wedge or bite as they call it.....

For those with knowledge my question is this on any dirt car, but more so a late model old school deal (before load machines an 4.5 inch RF travel) does or did bite or wedge as they might call it free the car up to turn on entry..? What was the purpose of it and why was it the way most used to make a car turn left...? thanks in Advance ...back to basic's to far in left field...
    Last edited by drgracer392; 12-10-2019 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drgracer392 View Post
    For those with knowledge my question is this on any dirt car, but more so a late model old school deal (before load machines an 4.5 inch RF travel) does or did bite or wedge as they might call it free the car up to turn on entry..? What was the purpose of it and why was it the way most used to make a car turn left...? thanks in Advance ...back to basic's to far in left field...
    The higher loads on the LR create more grip and so as engine is braking the increased grip on the LR tends to make the front wheel go left.

Mentally picture pushing a shopping cart at your local grocery store and when you step on the LR wheel, the cart goes left.
    Also a good way to help those really annoying carts with bad castors, is add your items(weight) to get it too steer better. The checkout girl hates it when I walk around with 4 gallons of milk and decide in the checkout lane I only need 1.

Even with load machines the physics stay the same. It's just measuring in a more specific way for easier repeatability.

Wedge on the scales isn't a throw away number, but it also doesn't tell enough of the story to be the end all be all of wedge measurements. If you have 2 cars with 100lbs of bite, but one has a 50# RF spring, and one has a 500# RF spring, which is going to have more dynamic wedge?

Talking about LR Grip something I was wondering about is the my car has inboard and outboard shock mounts on the frame side so moving it to the outboard side would that great more grip for that particular side such as the LR.

We have a tight (on entry) race car, its was fine before we updated the rear under slung and new style front clip...The car is ridged now and we are trying to get it back neutral... it steers good with a bump on RF but no forward drive. On a stack it has great drive and traction but wont steer.... (same load number on both).....This is when the wedge comes into play...?
    Last edited by drgracer392; 12-12-2019 at 10:14 AM.

MasterSbilt_Racer...? what are your thoughts...

Tight in, and no drive off? did you decrease the amount of droop with the new under slung? Sounds like it.

Light spring with a bump stop, i messed with this all year, and i hate it, never could get drive off. If you are running a heavier Engine the car will lay over on the RF and never create drive. A stack, with the heavy main spring will work against that weight and move weight back to the LR coming off the corner. At least that is how i think it works.

Just say no...

still got 13.5 inch drop and nothing is hitting....the lower bar has a good bend and a lot of clearance in it. I need a happy medium betwwen the soft bump deal and the stiff stack is what im thinking...

I have heard guys running odd ball combos but i think playing around with the main spring till you can get the drive what you want it to be, and the attitude of the car right is the key, plus the right valving in the shock to keep it under control.

Just say no...

MasterSbilt_Racer...? what are your thoughts...
    You say load numbers are the same? At what points? Ride and 4"? Ride and 3"?
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

MB...ride height number are different about 100lbs more, but the 3 inch and 4 inch number are the same...

MB...ride height number are different about 100lbs more, but the 3 inch and 4 inch number are the same...
    At the point you gas it up off the corner, if you have same dynamic bar angles, LR spring load, and rf spring load, the car will come off the corner the same.

Assuming the other springs and loads remain unchanged.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Same shock on both bump vs stack? if so, I would say the shock has too much rebound for the bump set up. Assuming the RF 3 and 4" numbers are indeed the same and it's staying down more on throttle with the bump vs the stack. Again assuming the stack combined rate is softer then the single spring rate on the bump deal.

How much does left side % affect this? I would assume quite a bit, but i am not sure.

Just say no...

Quote Originally Posted by Kromulous View Post
    How much does left side % affect this? I would assume quite a bit, but i am not sure.
    55% im a big guy 260...the same % as before its not changed.

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    Same shock on both bump vs stack? if so, I would say the shock has too much rebound for the bump set up. Assuming the RF 3 and 4" numbers are indeed the same and it's staying down more on throttle with the bump vs the stack. Again assuming the stack combined rate is softer then the single spring rate on the bump deal.
    That could be i have noticed once its over on the bump it never comes off it, that corner of the car stays down all the time...