Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Why so many cars?

I saw the Chilli bowl Twitter fire off a 300 car entry field. I get it, that’s a big deal and guys just want to be part of it. Seems like the World used to be like that. Are those open wheel guys sleeping on mattresses stuffed with money or something? There’s maybe 20 cars that can actually win it. Plus all manner of Focus / Kenyon, whatever shows up... the equivalent of 602 cars going to the World. All I can ask is why? If you have zero chance of making it at all, why would you go? I know fans don’t really want to see beyond the top 20, so why do they go also? I know open wheel fans are different but can they really be that different?
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Shovel on a little more coal, then when we cross white oak mountain, watch 97 roll!

The problem is the gall dang motors.

I have wondered many times myself about the whole Chilli Bowl hysteria. I am a huge open wheel fan (more sprint cars than midgets)...but the race only pays $10,000 to win. It simply amazes me that some of these teams will invest over six figures in equipment only to race one weekend a year, then go back into the garage and never to see the light of day until the following year. Where are all these cars the other 51 weeks of the year?

The chilli bowl has become a prestigious race to win . 20 guys ? That's funny. Drivers fight for every spot in there heats . The swindell clan had that place figured out and really put on a heck of a show. Everyone has caught up and Sammy struggles to make the A now. 10 K to win a midget race is a big deal and no one is spending 6 figures on a midget.

The same guy has won 3 in a row. 20 cars that can win is being generous.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Shovel on a little more coal, then when we cross white oak mountain, watch 97 roll!

I better qualify this with I would love to go someday. But the amount of participants puzzles me. There’s good paying races that don’t draw enough cars for a B-main all summer long because of cost.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

"no one is spending 6 figures on a midget"

Have you seen the price of a Toyota midget engine? Rumors are some of these engines are pushing $60 grand and I am sure some of the bigger teams are coming to Tulsa with several engines in the trailer.......let alone the cost of the car and expenses of spending a week at the Chilli Bowl.

Those little 4 cylinders put out 320 to 350 HP.

I don't post much here anymore due to rampant lack of facts and and objectivity by a significant number of posters and is often a gross waste of time and thought. However, on this subject, against my better judgement I will respond.

#1. First and foremost if you've never attended The Chili Bowl it's nearly impossible to explain the attraction of race fans and race participants alike. Sometimes objectivity is a problem due to dirt late model tunnel vision of which I confess to have suffered in the distant past. The old saying "if I need to explain it to you, you'll never understand" applies here.

#2. The Chili Bowl is one of the biggest and most prestigious events in the country. For example, Kyle Larson is on record saying that he'd be more proud to win The Chili Bowl Saturday night A-main than the Daytona 500. A couple of drivers who are regarded as the best dirt late models have ever had to offer have tried their hand at The Chili Bowl and found it to be quite tough going. The drivers and teams aren't particularly concerned with the purse, they want that Golden Driller and all that goes with it!!

#3. The Chili Bowl is a career maker. Just ask Dave Blaney, Billy Boat, Tim McCreadie, Bryan Clauson, Rico Abreu or Christopher Bell. It catapulted all of those guys into NASCAR and/or Indy Car rides. Not all stuck but it got them noticed by the right people, something that winning the World Hundred and Dream does not have the clout and prestige to accomplish outside it's niche participant and fan base.

#4. The Chili Bowl is such a huge event that anyone remotely connected to dirt racing, and especially those who are involved in midget racing, wants to be a part of it and fans are drawn to Tulsa in numbers that sell the place out 5 out of the 6 nights and the good tickets are handed down in families from one generation to another in spite of the fact that over 80% of all tickets sold are sold to fans outside of the State of Oklahoma. There are probably over 1000 people show up to the Saturday night finale' who don't have seats. They bring lawn chairs, buy pit passes, and watch the jumbo-tron's in the pit area. It's also MAVtv's #1 rated live broadcast of the whole year!

Everything in this excessively long post is true and provable and I also know this probably doesn't clear anything up for those who don't understand and are too short sighted to even want to, but I tried. Race fans/open wheel fans aren't "different" at all, they merely recognize a high quality product and support it accordingly. I've attended well over 20 World Hundred's and several Dream's and I know of which I speak. They are GREAT party's! But, take away the party aspect and they don't compare favorably to the 6 nights of The Chili BowL.

I can't wait for the flaming to begin! Too bad we won't be back to enjoy it. LOLOL!

Lastly, shouldn't this be on the sprint car board? LOL!

Everyone have a Wonderful Christmas and a Happy & Healthy New Year.

Should it be on the sprint car board? Yes and no. It’s actually a general health of dirt track racing question. Surely all 300 of those guys don’t think they’re going to Indianapolis or Daytona. Where do they all come from? How do WE do that? The Jones Dome event is a copy of it but it’s not our crown jewel.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Basically, there’s no way the focus midget guys think they are gonna win it, or even make it but they go anyway. I am curious about those guys.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

zack daum has a car available. 8500 for the week. Only bring your seat. Pretty sure logan roberson rented one off of him. But he “landed a ride” LOL
    Last edited by Dlmfan123; 12-19-2019 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    #1. First and foremost if you've never attended The Chili Bowl it's nearly impossible to explain the attraction of race fans and race participants alike....
    CIRF: I always enjoy reading your posts in there entirety. Not saying I always agree, but I enjoy differing opinions. and once again in this case you did include several quality talking points. so keep posting. my approach is if I have an opinion, i'm not looking to appeal to the masses and can quickly accept opposing opinions. and I completely ignore personal attacks. they don't know me or my life, so their ignorant opinions have no effect on me.

the quoted section: never have personally attended the Chili Bowl (yet), but the die hard late model fans that I talk to that have attended kind of describe exactly as you did. same for the fans that have been to the IMCA Supernationals in Boone.

Bucket List Events!!!
    And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie Hubbard

There are ab 6-7 cars that have a shot at winning that no rules exhibition race. SURF lives!!!

To answer the original question, its January, indoors and there is nothing else going on.

I think there’s more to it than that. It’s right before Florida and there’s drivers from pretty much every series in the country. Open wheel and fender cars. Big leagues right down to Saturday night guys.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    I don't post much here anymore due to rampant lack of facts and and objectivity by a significant number of posters and is often a gross waste of time and thought. However, on this subject, against my better judgement I will respond.

#1. First and foremost if you've never attended The Chili Bowl it's nearly impossible to explain the attraction of race fans and race participants alike. Sometimes objectivity is a problem due to dirt late model tunnel vision of which I confess to have suffered in the distant past. The old saying "if I need to explain it to you, you'll never understand" applies here.

#2. The Chili Bowl is one of the biggest and most prestigious events in the country. For example, Kyle Larson is on record saying that he'd be more proud to win The Chili Bowl Saturday night A-main than the Daytona 500. A couple of drivers who are regarded as the best dirt late models have ever had to offer have tried their hand at The Chili Bowl and found it to be quite tough going. The drivers and teams aren't particularly concerned with the purse, they want that Golden Driller and all that goes with it!!

#3. The Chili Bowl is a career maker. Just ask Dave Blaney, Billy Boat, Tim McCreadie, Bryan Clauson, Rico Abreu or Christopher Bell. It catapulted all of those guys into NASCAR and/or Indy Car rides. Not all stuck but it got them noticed by the right people, something that winning the World Hundred and Dream does not have the clout and prestige to accomplish outside it's niche participant and fan base.

#4. The Chili Bowl is such a huge event that anyone remotely connected to dirt racing, and especially those who are involved in midget racing, wants to be a part of it and fans are drawn to Tulsa in numbers that sell the place out 5 out of the 6 nights and the good tickets are handed down in families from one generation to another in spite of the fact that over 80% of all tickets sold are sold to fans outside of the State of Oklahoma. There are probably over 1000 people show up to the Saturday night finale' who don't have seats. They bring lawn chairs, buy pit passes, and watch the jumbo-tron's in the pit area. It's also MAVtv's #1 rated live broadcast of the whole year!

Everything in this excessively long post is true and provable and I also know this probably doesn't clear anything up for those who don't understand and are too short sighted to even want to, but I tried. Race fans/open wheel fans aren't "different" at all, they merely recognize a high quality product and support it accordingly. I've attended well over 20 World Hundred's and several Dream's and I know of which I speak. They are GREAT party's! But, take away the party aspect and they don't compare favorably to the 6 nights of The Chili BowL.

I can't wait for the flaming to begin! Too bad we won't be back to enjoy it. LOLOL!

Lastly, shouldn't this be on the sprint car board? LOL!

Everyone have a Wonderful Christmas and a Happy & Healthy New Year.
    Being one who has been there. I agree with you

Quote Originally Posted by WisWildManFan View Post
    There are ab 6-7 cars that have a shot at winning that no rules exhibition race. SURF lives!!!
    There are more then 6-7 cars that have a chance. If you've never been then you would really have any idea the number of quality cars that show up there each year. Just because a guy doesn't race USAC or POWRi doesn't mean they don't have a chance.

IMO
    If you have never been to the Chili Bowl then you really have no clue why teams go. The prestige and knowing that if you some how manage to make the Saturday a-main and some how manage to win you just beat some of the very best in open wheel racing and racing in general. The racing there is bar none some of the best racing you'll see all year. I'm a late model and modified guy but love watch other divisions as well and the midgets put on an awesome show there. The effort put forth by the teams that go and race is greatly appreciated by the fans. I think many fans love one type of racing are many times blind by how good the racing is in other divisions and won't give them the time of day.
    Last edited by HoosierDirtFan; 12-19-2019 at 08:37 PM.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - TBA
    2024 Season: 3 - Brownstown (IN) 1, Farmer City (IL) 1, & Kankakee (IL) 1

I read about some photographer or reporter something that had never raced anything anywhere ever and rented some old heap just to run. That’s the aspect that I am struggling to get. Nobody would do that at any other crown jewel level race. I certainly ain’t going to the World 100 with a 358 motor. Etc. because the track is so small maybe?
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Did anybody ever think tmac would win a golden driller? Hel! No but he went out and did it

I’ll probably give it a try one day. It’s less than $10k to rent a ride. Sure, I wouldn’t have a shot at a win, but it’s about the experience.

The Chili Bowl has grown in prestige and participation at the same rate it’s grown in hype. That’s how it’s all supposed to work.

The race that mystifies me as far as car counts is the IMCA Supernationals. IIRC, that only pays 3k, and they get 250-300 cars that show up from all corners of the country.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!