Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Maybe there’s too many big money late model races? If everything is a crown jewel, nothing is.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Shovel on a little more coal, then when we cross white oak mountain, watch 97 roll!

The problem is the gall dang motors.

I agree with Rocky. It seems like late model fans are hung up on the big-money events, while other divisions have "crown jewels" that are not the highest paying events. The Chili Bowl is a great example. Memorial races to past drivers are examples as well. How many crown jewel races are there now, 25-30? Whatever the number, it is too many.

at the Boone Super Nationals they get over 800 cars

WisWildManFan Posted: There are ab 6-7 cars that have a shot at winning that no rules exhibition race. SURF lives!!!
    Right here folks is a prime example of equal parts ignorance of the subject at hand and dirt late model inferiority complex. Spewing nonsense that can easily be debunked is not the recipe for being taken the least bit serious. This dullard has no idea what he's talking about but successfully bullsh!t's himself into believing he's an expert of sorts when in reality he's one of the several resident ignoramus's. It's abundantly clear that the only activity of which he has any degree of expertise is being the pivot man in a pre-Christmas circle jerk.

Yessir, SURF lives.......rent free in your head that is not inhabited by even 1 accurately critical thought! LOL!

mcarter815 posted: I’ll probably give it a try one day. It’s less than $10k to rent a ride. Sure, I wouldn’t have a shot at a win, but it’s about the experience.
    You get it, mcarter815. Your post explain's exactly why The Chili Bowl draws 375 cars! Take note Rocky, this is what it's all about.

Rocky posted: Maybe there’s too many big money late model races? If everything is a crown jewel, nothing is.
    Take a bow, Rocky!! One of the more precise and truthful posts you will ever find on this message board!

I know I said I wouldn't be back to this thread but I went back on my word and deserve whatever haranguing I receive for doing so. However, there are some great posts (see above) that need to be recognized (sorry Josh, yours was a dam good post, as well) and one dim witted post that also needed to be recognized as such.

Again, ya'll have a safe and very Merry Christmas!!

He is talking about A-Mods at Boone and they get 300-400 for the Super Nationals. But yes with all the classes it’s over 800 Cars and the other classes get a lot less $. Plus I believe the top 3 or 4 lose there motors in each class.

You just have to go to understand the electric of that place. And its not just one night, its all week. I've not been to the big late model races but I go to the chili bowl at least one night each year and its always explosive. The track is usually wide and racey and some how they always seem to get 2-3 of the stars each night, they are not all piled into one evening(my tin foil hat says its rigged) but i'm not complaining because it produces.

And you know what else.... wait for it..... wait for it..... NO TIME TRIALS

In response to the OP
    Best way I can summarize is: Its for the midget crowd what the world 100 is for the late model crowd.
    The vast majority of the late models that show up for the world 100 have zero chance of winning it. (Most of) The fans aren't there to root for the little guys, but to see the big names on the big teams.
    The chilli bowl is the exact same mentality on the part of the drivers/fans/crews as the World 100 is to the late models.
    And thats what makes both TRUE crown jewels. (and dont get me started on that!)
    Grumpy old dirt track fan. Anti-Sanction. Anti-Social. Anti-Media. Anti-SocialMedia. Anti-Climatic.

The Chili Bowl is everything that is wonderful about racing in one location. Its the perfect storm for racers and fans. It has a long history and prestige to it that CANNOT be duplicated. No other series is racing against it so it draws 100s of competitors from all over the globe. Its ONE CLASS of car. There is no Crate Chili Bowl or Limited Midget Chili Bowl. Its affordable by racing standards. The track is the equalizer. No home field advantage.

A couple years ago I watched the winner of the J Main so excited in his car and interview that you would have thought he won it all. That says it all right there. Enjoy it while you can, there will never be another.

But the World 100 barely draws 100 cars anymore.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Shovel on a little more coal, then when we cross white oak mountain, watch 97 roll!

The problem is the gall dang motors.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    I don't post much here anymore due to rampant lack of facts and and objectivity by a significant number of posters and is often a gross waste of time and thought. However, on this subject, against my better judgement I will respond. #1. First and foremost if you've never attended The Chili Bowl it's nearly impossible to explain the attraction of race fans and race participants alike. Sometimes objectivity is a problem due to dirt late model tunnel vision of which I confess to have suffered in the distant past. The old saying "if I need to explain it to you, you'll never understand" applies here. #2. The Chili Bowl is one of the biggest and most prestigious events in the country. For example, Kyle Larson is on record saying that he'd be more proud to win The Chili Bowl Saturday night A-main than the Daytona 500. A couple of drivers who are regarded as the best dirt late models have ever had to offer have tried their hand at The Chili Bowl and found it to be quite tough going. The drivers and teams aren't particularly concerned with the purse, they want that Golden Driller and all that goes with it!! #3. The Chili Bowl is a career maker. Just ask Dave Blaney, Billy Boat, Tim McCreadie, Bryan Clauson, Rico Abreu or Christopher Bell. It catapulted all of those guys into NASCAR and/or Indy Car rides. Not all stuck but it got them noticed by the right people, something that winning the World Hundred and Dream does not have the clout and prestige to accomplish outside it's niche participant and fan base. #4. The Chili Bowl is such a huge event that anyone remotely connected to dirt racing, and especially those who are involved in midget racing, wants to be a part of it and fans are drawn to Tulsa in numbers that sell the place out 5 out of the 6 nights and the good tickets are handed down in families from one generation to another in spite of the fact that over 80% of all tickets sold are sold to fans outside of the State of Oklahoma. There are probably over 1000 people show up to the Saturday night finale' who don't have seats. They bring lawn chairs, buy pit passes, and watch the jumbo-tron's in the pit area. It's also MAVtv's #1 rated live broadcast of the whole year! Everything in this excessively long post is true and provable and I also know this probably doesn't clear anything up for those who don't understand and are too short sighted to even want to, but I tried. Race fans/open wheel fans aren't "different" at all, they merely recognize a high quality product and support it accordingly. I've attended well over 20 World Hundred's and several Dream's and I know of which I speak. They are GREAT party's! But, take away the party aspect and they don't compare favorably to the 6 nights of The Chili BowL. I can't wait for the flaming to begin! Too bad we won't be back to enjoy it. LOLOL! Lastly, shouldn't this be on the sprint car board? LOL! Everyone have a Wonderful Christmas and a Happy & Healthy New Year.
    A very good post, INDEED !

I don't post much here anymore due to rampant lack of facts and and objectivity by a significant number of posters and is often a gross waste of time and thought. However, on this subject, against my better judgement I will respond.

#1. First and foremost if you've never attended The Chili Bowl it's nearly impossible to explain the attraction of race fans and race participants alike. Sometimes objectivity is a problem due to dirt late model tunnel vision of which I confess to have suffered in the distant past. The old saying "if I need to explain it to you, you'll never understand" applies here.

#2. The Chili Bowl is one of the biggest and most prestigious events in the country. For example, Kyle Larson is on record saying that he'd be more proud to win The Chili Bowl Saturday night A-main than the Daytona 500. A couple of drivers who are regarded as the best dirt late models have ever had to offer have tried their hand at The Chili Bowl and found it to be quite tough going. The drivers and teams aren't particularly concerned with the purse, they want that Golden Driller and all that goes with it!!

#3. The Chili Bowl is a career maker. Just ask Dave Blaney, Billy Boat, Tim McCreadie, Bryan Clauson, Rico Abreu or Christopher Bell. It catapulted all of those guys into NASCAR and/or Indy Car rides. Not all stuck but it got them noticed by the right people, something that winning the World Hundred and Dream does not have the clout and prestige to accomplish outside it's niche participant and fan base.

#4. The Chili Bowl is such a huge event that anyone remotely connected to dirt racing, and especially those who are involved in midget racing, wants to be a part of it and fans are drawn to Tulsa in numbers that sell the place out 5 out of the 6 nights and the good tickets are handed down in families from one generation to another in spite of the fact that over 80% of all tickets sold are sold to fans outside of the State of Oklahoma. There are probably over 1000 people show up to the Saturday night finale' who don't have seats. They bring lawn chairs, buy pit passes, and watch the jumbo-tron's in the pit area. It's also MAVtv's #1 rated live broadcast of the whole year!

Everything in this excessively long post is true and provable and I also know this probably doesn't clear anything up for those who don't understand and are too short sighted to even want to, but I tried. Race fans/open wheel fans aren't "different" at all, they merely recognize a high quality product and support it accordingly. I've attended well over 20 World Hundred's and several Dream's and I know of which I speak. They are GREAT party's! But, take away the party aspect and they don't compare favorably to the 6 nights of The Chili BowL.

I can't wait for the flaming to begin! Too bad we won't be back to enjoy it. LOLOL!

Lastly, shouldn't this be on the sprint car board? LOL!

Everyone have a Wonderful Christmas and a Happy & Healthy New Year.
    That's because you try to talk open wheel midget and sprint car racing on a LM section of the forum.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    The same guy has won 3 in a row. 20 cars that can win is being generous.
    Robert Bell, a farmer from Iowa, he won a chilli bowl heat in 2017, with a D2 midget engine and an old car. He's also a big guy, near 60 years of age and owns his own stuff and travels mostly by himself in a 1/2 ton pickup truck. Are the odds against him and those like him? Sure, but if odds keep you home maybe you need a new hobby. I think you know not of what you speak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MpZKlbauwI Interview
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s--U_6YkLgE Race
    Last edited by Taboo62; 12-24-2019 at 07:04 AM.

It's the World 100 for midgets. It's as simple as that.

they show up because they are racers. every single track and race in the country have guys show up every weekend that dont have much of a chance to win.

There's only two cars capable of winning as long as Larson and Bell keep showing up lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Illtsate32 View Post
    There's only two cars capable of winning as long as Larson and Bell keep showing up lol...
    Pretty sure the only one to beat Larson in the last couple months is gio scelzi in his 2nd or 3rd midget race lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dlmfan123 View Post
    Pretty sure the only one to beat Larson in the last couple months is gio scelzi in his 2nd or 3rd midget race lol
    I like him hes a stud...

I'm a LM lover but also a fan of all forms of dirt. Have never been to Chili Bowl but watch it on the PPV that RacinBoys does as well as on Mav every year. The biggest part of the draw is the time of year. So many guys have nothing else going on & are just itching to race so they go even with no chance in hell of winning. Over the years, it has built into a mega event. Everyone is there. Also, the racing is dang good & there is a ton of it. On the final day, the last chance races start with like the letter N at 10 in the morning. They run double of each letter all the way up to the double B mains to set the final field. Just a blast to watch all day as it goes from the also rans up to the more accomplished teams.

I have been to the DuQuoin indoor event a few times & refer to it as a poor man's Chili Bowl. The racing at both of these indoor venues is outstanding.

I'd encourage late model fans to give the midgets a try sometime as the midgets put on outstanding racing at these indoor venues & outdoors especially on the bullrings like Jacksonville, Macon & Belle Clair.

I don't post much here anymore due to rampant lack of facts and and objectivity by a significant number of posters and is often a gross waste of time and thought. However, on this subject, against my better judgement I will respond.

#1. First and foremost if you've never attended The Chili Bowl it's nearly impossible to explain the attraction of race fans and race participants alike. Sometimes objectivity is a problem due to dirt late model tunnel vision of which I confess to have suffered in the distant past. The old saying "if I need to explain it to you, you'll never understand" applies here.

#2. The Chili Bowl is one of the biggest and most prestigious events in the country. For example, Kyle Larson is on record saying that he'd be more proud to win The Chili Bowl Saturday night A-main than the Daytona 500. A couple of drivers who are regarded as the best dirt late models have ever had to offer have tried their hand at The Chili Bowl and found it to be quite tough going. The drivers and teams aren't particularly concerned with the purse, they want that Golden Driller and all that goes with it!!

#3. The Chili Bowl is a career maker. Just ask Dave Blaney, Billy Boat, Tim McCreadie, Bryan Clauson, Rico Abreu or Christopher Bell. It catapulted all of those guys into NASCAR and/or Indy Car rides. Not all stuck but it got them noticed by the right people, something that winning the World Hundred and Dream does not have the clout and prestige to accomplish outside it's niche participant and fan base.

#4. The Chili Bowl is such a huge event that anyone remotely connected to dirt racing, and especially those who are involved in midget racing, wants to be a part of it and fans are drawn to Tulsa in numbers that sell the place out 5 out of the 6 nights and the good tickets are handed down in families from one generation to another in spite of the fact that over 80% of all tickets sold are sold to fans outside of the State of Oklahoma. There are probably over 1000 people show up to the Saturday night finale' who don't have seats. They bring lawn chairs, buy pit passes, and watch the jumbo-tron's in the pit area. It's also MAVtv's #1 rated live broadcast of the whole year!

Everything in this excessively long post is true and provable and I also know this probably doesn't clear anything up for those who don't understand and are too short sighted to even want to, but I tried. Race fans/open wheel fans aren't "different" at all, they merely recognize a high quality product and support it accordingly. I've attended well over 20 World Hundred's and several Dream's and I know of which I speak. They are GREAT party's! But, take away the party aspect and they don't compare favorably to the 6 nights of The Chili BowL.

I can't wait for the flaming to begin! Too bad we won't be back to enjoy it. LOLOL!

Lastly, shouldn't this be on the sprint car board? LOL!

Everyone have a Wonderful Christmas and a Happy & Healthy New Year.
    We may butt heads on here a lot, but this guy does know open wheel and the Chilli Bowl. If you have a Chilli Bowl ?, he'll have the answer.
    Good post CIRF. Merry XMas.
    8/13/16

Late Model fan here but I have attended the Chili Bowl since 1990 and it is the best race of the year for me. The atmosphere is unlike any other. Midgets on this small of a track make for some exciting racing all week long. The alphabet double features leading up to the A feature on Saturday are a spectacle in itself.

Tickets are hard to get and mostly sold out from the previous year ticket holders renewals but if you can find a ticket do yourself a favor and attend this winter's event.