Question Late model tire choice debate

Why is it when say WoO, or Lucas show up in different regions they have multiple choices of tire brands and compounds depending on the track. Is it for the locals to compete in more events? Ive seen rule amendments for tracks like on the east coast with the Hoosier 12-1500 tires for example or American Racer 44,46 or 48 compounds allowed.. Or the upper midwest where the Hoosier 55 compound or UMP tires are allowed with the series tires and so on...How often or not do you see guys use the different variances in tires?

For starters, if tires are close in compound, the Hoosiers will win every time. Second UMP tires are the same rubber as other Hoosier tires. For example a UMP 40, D55, and 1600 are all the exact same compound of rubber. The only difference is the D55, and 1600 come blocked, but the LM40 you groove to your preference....and the UMP tires were just a tad more narrow I believe.....take in mind I haven't been in racing in years, but this is how it was when I was last involved.

In my personal opinion I always wished everyone would just go to the UMP rule....LM10 20 30 40.
    Last edited by No_Weak_Links; 01-03-2020 at 11:58 AM.

The WoO especially just tries to line up with whatever the locals are running as far as tire rules. Up until just a couple years ago, they had an open rule everywhere except tracks that ran the UMP rule.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganRebel08 View Post
    Why is it when say WoO, or Lucas show up in different regions they have multiple choices of tire brands and compounds depending on the track. Is it for the locals to compete in more events? Ive seen rule amendments for tracks like on the east coast with the Hoosier 12-1500 tires for example or American Racer 44,46 or 48 compounds allowed.. Or the upper midwest where the Hoosier 55 compound or UMP tires are allowed with the series tires and so on...How often or not do you see guys use the different variances in tires?
    For Lucas, it is to get more locals to participate.