Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best come from behind wins on dirt

Mine- #1- Doug Wolfgang, AFTER he got hurt he raced IMCA Sprints a couple years, the old long gone North Tx Motor Speedway (1/4 mile, flat, dry, Royce City Tx area). Won after being THREE LAPS DOWN. A Sprint car race. Unbelievable. #2- Schatz winning Knoxville Nationals from the B. He 'out Wolfganged' Wolfie. #3- Bloomquist. Eldora. You know which one. Almost forgot- Rico- flip, pits, win. In like 18 laps. Honorable mention- Wolfie, Knoxville, you know which one, finished 4th or 5th? Add yours.
    Last edited by GrocMax; 01-09-2020 at 10:53 PM.

#1 1997 Herald & review 100 half lap in babb pulls off Virgil pulls in the infield climbs out of his car tells Shannon to get in he starts tail of field to win to lose at the scales. #2 Brian Shirley at knoxville. #3 first illini 100 half way through the feature babb falls of turn 2 goes to tail comes charging to the front to meet Moyer at the finish line inches away from winning.

I was more interested in wins, but the almosties are often more entertaining to watch, and tend to stick longer in the brain. Wolfie at Royce City was just unbelievable. 3 laps down. 3 friggin laps down. IMCA during the WoO lawsuit years after the wreck at Lakeside, during a period where he was recovering from that nasty wreck with a broken neck and burned to a crisp, and still needed to make a living any way he could.
    Last edited by GrocMax; 01-09-2020 at 11:30 PM.

Bloomquist winning the world in 2014 with spaceship shocks. Wendell Wallace coming from the tail and winning the dtwc at WVMS in 2000.

The most recent one I saw in person was, two or three years ago at Golden Isles, with pretty much every big name driver in the sport there -- Josh Richards started dead last (27th I think), and had the lead within 20 laps, and went on to win. That was mighty impressive.

not a fan but ill give it to him, 2014 world 100 Bloomquist, put to the tail not only won but almost lapped the entire field..
    "Running the bottom is like having a job!" ~ Jack Hewitt

Another one would be Randle Chupp at GIS. Started in the back and beat I believe EPJ and Scott.

Man I miss watching him.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Bill Frye from the B to beat Bloomquist at the HAT Shootout in 1995.
    My Buddy Stan Massey beating a field full of 4 link cars 2 nights in a row(Dixie/Rome) on the HAT tour in 95 with a leaf spring car...

I was at Eastbay a couple years ago when Sheppard wrecked the 1 car in a heat race and started at the back of a B-main and won it then started in the back of the feature and had the lead around lap 20 and won that race. It was impressive to see team 1 thrash on the car to get it ready as fast as they did to make the B-main, because anyone that has been to Eastbay knows how fast that show moves.

Hampel, Berck Grab Wdrl Wins At Corning
    Lost Drive Shaft Keeps Hampel from $10,000 Pay Day
    By Tom Lathen and Phil Roberts
    WORLD Dirt Racing League Corning, Iowa (Aug. 17, 2004)

"Although impressive, Hampel’s win was an unlikely one, as the Nodaway, Iowa chauffeur secured the 27th and final starting position only after Paul Glendenning, who had qualified for the field before rains halted action at ACS in May, was unable to return for Tuesday night’s action."

Feature: 1. John Hampel (Nodaway, IA), 2. John Anderson (Omaha, NE), 3. Brady Smith (Solon Springs, WI), 4. Al Purkey (Coffeyville, KS), 5. Joe Kosiski (Omaha, NE), 6. Matt Furman (Iowa City, IA), 7. Tommy Elston (Keokuk, IA), 8. Skip Frey (Ely, IA), 9. Denny Eckrich (Tiffin, IA), 10. Steve Kosiski (Papillion, NE), 11. Ed Kosiski (Ralston, NE), 12. Steve Isenberg (Marshfield, WI), 13. Mark Teske (Spring Valley, MN), 14. Rusty Zook (Riverside, IA), 15. Steve Boley (West Liberty, IA), 16. Eric Pember (Pittsville, WI), 17. Jason Hobscheidt (Nehawka, NE), 18. Keith Foss (Winona, MN), 19. Mike Wallace (Omaha, NE), 20. Kevin Kile (West Liberty, IA), 21. Mike Danburg (Council Bluffs, IA), 22. C.J. Lyle (Raymore, MO), 23. Kyle Berck (Marquette, NE), 24. Al Humphrey (Giltner, NE), 25. Mike Smith (Jewell, IA), 26. Ace Ihm (Hazel Green, WI), 27. Dave Eckrich (Cosgrove, IA)
    And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie Hubbard

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by TerryM View Post
    The most recent one I saw in person was, two or three years ago at Golden Isles, with pretty much every big name driver in the sport there -- Josh Richards started dead last (27th I think), and had the lead within 20 laps, and went on to win. That was mighty impressive.
    Josh was Rollin that weekend!

Jac Haudenschild winning the front row challenge at oskaloosa 1999.
    Grumpy old dirt track fan. Anti-Sanction. Anti-Social. Anti-Media. Anti-SocialMedia. Anti-Climatic.

Scott autry winning the carolina crown race a few yrs back at lancaster sc. Started last and went on to win w american racers. That was an exciting race to watch.

Kyle Berk, I80 speedway, pulled out backup car started last, drove to the front, then LAPPED
    the entire field....(including Billy Moyer).

Curt Drake
    #55sr

Hard to beat the Jim Dunn story at pennsboro.

4/5 years ago, North/South, Jimmy Mars starts 18th and passes Oneal coming out of 4 on the white flag lap for the win...
    -------------------------
    See you down the road!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by d-glenn View Post
    4/5 years ago, North/South, Jimmy Mars starts 18th and passes Oneal coming out of 4 on the white flag lap for the win...
    I know time flies when you're having fun, but Jimmy Mars last won the North South in 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Racing View Post
    Kyle Berk, I80 speedway, pulled out backup car started last, drove to the front, then LAPPED
    the entire field....(including Billy Moyer).

Curt Drake
    #55sr
    Berck was impressive that night, but IIRC he did not lap Moyer that was the only car he didn't lap but did lap everyone else.

My bad, thought he lapped everyone....I just remember Moyer in the tech area
    tellin the officials they weren't looking in the right place when they were inspecting Kyle's car.

Curt Drake
    #55sr

Not coming from behind but Scruffy (Bobby Alan) 1A Shark Racing victory at Knoxville Nationals.