Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Lol track owners and promoters are like all the contractors I work for, ain't none of em made a penny yet....yet they still stay in business and tracks keep putting on races...

Well it's not hard to figure out 2 thousand people at 30 dollars clears you out you still got concessions an back gate a promoter told me once he paid for his track in 2 years off the concession stand they ran a lot of big races an drew huge crowds I didn't think that was possible but after I did a Lille figuring I realise it was.

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganRebel08 View Post
    $50-70k for a basic show
    say you have WoO and 2 support classes with a total of 100 cars pit side..average of 5 people per car at $40 per pit pass

100 x 40 x5 = $20,000

200 fan pit passes

200 x 40 =$8,000

General admission

$25 adults 2500 in attendance
    $15 kids 200 attendance

$25 x 2500 = $62,500
    $15 x 200 = $3,000 Thats $93,000 in ticket sales alone...

3,400 fans at an average of $5.00 per person in concessions stand food $17,000 in food

$100,000 in revenue before insurance, sanction fees, purses, sponsor money. If tracks were smart at these big events, they would hold a special weather insurance policy that would cover the event if things went south or had to cancel which would cover a loss.

My home track use to have WOO once a year back when it was just Clanton and Richards winning everything. I dont know they made out money wise but the pits, infield and stands were packed. Food lines were always long and the line for beer was even longer. Judging on the sea of blue 10 oz bud light cans underneath the bleachers, and the price at $13 for a 6 pack I'd think they made out on concessions.

Unfortunately now that WOO has some more drivers that people wanna see, we havent had them since Richards' last title year. There was a rumor going around that year that they were dropping WOO and adding Lucas, never happened and they added USAC sprints this year. No clue what their sanctioning fees are like compared. Havent had any sprints since URC 15-20 years ago of I remember correctly.

I can agree with the point on the beer sales, I believe if you sell beer and have a crowd come in you'll make a killing on that alone!

Have to also believe for an average track MichiganRebel08 hits the dollar amounts pretty close for a good overview.

Beer sales alone has to make money hand over fist

Not every track has beer sales, thankfully. Interesting is that you see tracks come an go on the big tours. They'll have a race one year or two, then drop off, then show back up. They would not come back if they always lost money.

The 2 biggest races of the year are World and the Dream, and no sanctioning, thats what makes it best. No stupid provisionals and thank God, they dont have the stupid if you dont stop on track, you get your spot back caution, even if you cause it!

If You are spun out at Eldora and do not stop you get your spot back

2 fast time provisionals. That’s it. I like it.
    2023 Races - WoO at TST

Quote Originally Posted by mod95 View Post
    Sponsorship would be key there. The Silver Dollar Nationals is presented by Imperial Tile, but I don't know how much money they put in. But, I-80 has other track sponsors as well. I wonder how the revenue is cut though, like what goes to the track and what goes to the series.
    Lucas has many sponsors for the season.

https://lucasdirt.com/sponsors

There are no sanctioning fees. WoO and Lucas make their money from Morton buildings and obviously Lucas and other series sponsors. But, the track is responsible for the entire purse. I was told by a 2 promoters that the WoO late model purse alone paying the winner $10,000 was $50,000 for the whole purse. And with a Lucas purse paying $12,000 added $14,000 down through the field. Those numbers don’t include paying the support classes.

That sounds accurate. Many of the races have crowds of 4,000 and up.

Quote Originally Posted by mod95 View Post
    Sponsorship would be key there. The Silver Dollar Nationals is presented by Imperial Tile, but I don't know how much money they put in. But, I-80 has other track sponsors as well. I wonder how the revenue is cut though, like what goes to the track and what goes to the series.
    I-80 has like 8-9 sponsors for the SDN alone. Outside of Hoker Trucking, they are all local sponsors that are putting money into the event, which I like.

Quote Originally Posted by jlacey View Post
    My home track use to have WOO once a year back when it was just Clanton and Richards winning everything. I dont know they made out money wise but the pits, infield and stands were packed. Food lines were always long and the line for beer was even longer. Judging on the sea of blue 10 oz bud light cans underneath the bleachers, and the price at $13 for a 6 pack I'd think they made out on concessions.

Unfortunately now that WOO has some more drivers that people wanna see, we havent had them since Richards' last title year. There was a rumor going around that year that they were dropping WOO and adding Lucas, never happened and they added USAC sprints this year. No clue what their sanctioning fees are like compared. Havent had any sprints since URC 15-20 years ago of I remember correctly.
    Interestingly enough, the USAC shows are every bit as expensive as WoO/Lucas.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Around 10 years ago the WoO Sprints were $52,000 purse, $20,000 sanction

Post 32-MC92

Question-?? Are you saying that the tracks do not pay Lucas or WOO a sanction fee for hosting a race ??

Back in '88 I spoke with USAC about bringing in their non winged sprint cars to my track... $60,000 PLUS the purse.

YIKES!!!!
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Wow I had no idea they were that high. I just assumed they were lower than WOO and Lucas. Not sure what kind of turnout they'll get for USAC considering this area has been known for LMs and not much for sprints. I'm sure I'll be there just out of curiosity and the chance to see something different on the track.

I understood dropping WOO when they did with it being a 2 car show (plus whatever good locals showed), but now with the roster WOO has were missing out on seeing Shep, Madden, Weiss, and possibly Bloomquist depending on his schedule this year. Gonna have to head up to Port Royal this August to see a good LM show

MC-92. YOUR WRONG. Flat out wrong. WoO and Lucas both have a sanction fee. You believe a touring series comes to a track brings all the support people and a ton of other costs and we're do they get the money to cover all those costs ? The promotor then needs to cover the purse costs. Sure some bring in to dang many support classes. If you look at how many tracks around the country take that gamble I think the numbers are low.