Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Klms

Default Klms

KLMS listed at Keller Williams in Paducah, Ky. for a mere 3.2 million dollars. The pictures are sad to see. Great facility just a terrible surface.

I've been there several times it was a great facility I've seen some really good racin there back in the day it's a total shame it's in the shape it's in now been by there looks terrible wish it could be bought and opened

Is this the Paducah Track or Kentucky Lake Motor Speedway in Calvert City that Sherri Heckenast use to own ?

It is Kentucky Lake Motor Speedway in Calvert City. You can see it at the mls listing #106127. It is really sad to see it in such disrepair.

It is the Kentucky Lake speedway in Calvert City.

Quote Originally Posted by STRONGERTHANDIRT View Post
    KLMS listed at Keller Williams in Paducah, Ky. for a mere 3.2 million dollars. The pictures are sad to see. Great facility just a terrible surface.
    I can’t find it, how’d you search for it. Tried Paducah and Calvert City and Residential and Commercial.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Was there several times before Sherri bought it. The facility was first class to say the least. Racing was hit & miss. There were a lot of EPA restrictions on what they could use for track prep because of the close proximity to Kentucky Lake. If memory serves me right- I don’t think the locals were fond of it either?

West Virginia Motor Speedway in Mineral Wells has also fallen to Mother Nature as well. It’s really sad to see these tracks in their current state & knowing we use to enjoy being there for racing!

Saw it on Western Kentucky Dirt Legends on Facebook.
    Last edited by STRONGERTHANDIRT; 01-21-2020 at 11:25 AM.

Hearing PIR is in bad shape, also. Two tracks 20 minutes apart and both are deteriorating as we speak. Sad.

I went there twice. Awesome facility The racing was decent. Second time though, got showered with rock. Never went back. Closed the next year.
    On a steady diet of dirt!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 0cents View Post
    It is the Kentucky Lake speedway in Calvert City.
    I thought that this track closed due to the extension of I-69 and that the state purchased the property? Was that not the case?

The state bought it thru eminent domain- but maybe not the entire average. You can google it & read the articles of the auctions, & state of Kentucky precedings.

I think part of the property is used for the off ramp

Has I-69 been completed at Calvert City yet? If so then maybe the state is selling it and it could be brought back to life?

I haven't researched the new listing but find it hard to believe it is valued at $3.2MM. When my business partner and I researched purchasing the facility in 2011 and then did an all-day tour of the facility in April 2012 - it came with seven buildings (admissions building, grandstand building 1, grandstand building 2, restrooms building, pit entrance building, pit concessions/restrooms building and an equipment shed), a generator which powered electric to the facility and a few pieces of track equipment - two tractors, disc, boom van etc. Some of the concession equipment also remained in the concession building.

For the most part, the facility was in good condition. The building structures were in tact with minimal damage from animals, weather and just sitting idle for a few years. The concession area and equipment were good, concrete and aluminum bleachers were in good shape (except for near pit exit/entrance) and pit grounds and buildings were in good condition.

In regards to the track - the wall was still in good shape but beyond that the rest was in VERY POOR shape. Flag stand would need to be replace, the fencing and posts would need to be replaced, many of the billboards were falling over or would be falling over soon and the track had spots where run-off areas had 30" craters running through them to the infield. The racetrack would need to be completely redone - liertally removing all the dirt and starting over. Which is good because the dirt used for the racing surface was a poor choice. That said, the original owner (who was a contractor in the area) built an incredible facility that was still in good condition around a poorly constructed race track.

My business partner and I toured the facility and placed an offer to the real estate agent for the property at the time - Chip Tullar who also owns Patti's 1880 Settlement. He and his partner were very interested in seeing the property flourish again and he is well connected within the community. For those of you in the area - you know Chip and how well connected to the community, legislators, etc. Our goal was to run more special events at the track and supplement that with weekly shows. The area there just cannot support a weekly show to make the track profitable. The race track property was 130+ acres and you could buy an additional 450+ acres in addition to the track. My partner and I wanted to build an RV park which would have been perfect off the interstate near the wooded area given the amount of visitors to the area (similar to Deer Creek Speedway in MN for those familiar). We also had other plans for the property other than racing to turn it into an entertainment spot. For those unfamiliar to the area, Kentucky Lake is a significant travel destination for people vacationing and our plan was to capitalize on that with the property. Thus Chip T. and the communities support of us and our plan for the race track and surrounding property.

My business partner and I made an offer in 2012 that was below the auction selling price (sold in 2013 for $990K) but was on par after you eliminate the auctioneers fees and cost to go to auction. The owner at that time thought the property and business was worth millions. The problem - their was no business to sell as no racing had existed there for over three years. The idea that you had an on-going business to sell along with the property was preposterous. KLMS was just a property... period that would have to be re-built into a viable business.

My business partner and I also met with Bob Sargent from Paducah Raceway. While Bob wanted us to purchase Paducah, we we in no position to do so but had agreed on a partnership to promote both tracks, use track personnel to work both tracks, equipment etc. Businesses from Paducah and Calvert City and surrounding areas loved the concept and were willing to support both tracks.

In reviewing the grounds, we identified where the surface for the track came. Outside of turns 3 & 4 and near the wooded tree line of the property was the source of the racing surface. The dirt was like powder and not suitable for racing. My business partner had a relationship with the Army Corp of Engineers. Just up the road at Kentucky Lake bridge they had to dredge that area for barges coming down the river. Our track would have a infinite source for prime river gumbo - similar to that used at Knoxville. Using the Kentucky Lake river gumbo would have provided an excellent racing surface for the facility.

We had also talked with several sanctioning bodies about races in the area - USAC Midgets, Winged Sprints, Late Models, Modifieds, etc. The track would never make it as a weekly track as racing in the area just was not doing well due to the economy and that area is blue-collar workers who depend on manufacturing and other economy-sensitive businesses. That said, many local businesses liked our plan (thanks to Chip) and were going to support the track.

We were also told that the "dry county" vote could swing in our favor if we were to purchase the track. In the end, our offer was never accepted, the vote to remain a dry county remained in effect and we dropped interest in the acquisition after the asking price was just to high and the dry county vote was upheld.

Under new ownership in late 2013 and in earnest in 2014, they ran the track just like a regular weekly track with some specials. This was just not the right direction for this track nor this area. Finally, the track was closed in the fall of 2015 due to eminent domain from the state for expansion of Interstate 24 and 69 which run adjacent to the facility. I am not sure if we ran the track and were successful if we could have stopped or altered the states decision. But with the poor performance of the new owners... I think the states decision was easy.

This track could have been special but circumstances... like MANY OTHER GREAT RACING FACILITIES... led to its downfall and ultimately... its closure.

I know much has been written about KLMS in the past and I have never posted about it. Not sure why I am sharing now but thought it would be good to set the record straight.

Rich Olson
    Minneapolis, MN
    Last edited by FANSFund; 01-21-2020 at 04:33 PM.

Rich,

Thanks for the info. I was lucky enough to have seen a few shows there. I always left satisfied but thought that it could have been improved with the right set of circumstances.

Rich:
    Excellent read- thanks for sharing your story with us who had been there & those who are interested in the history of KL. Very good read & professional writing!

The bleachers are now at the new Vado N.M. track.

Also very interesting-Kentucky to New Mexico. At least they are being used for the original purpose & not recycled into drink cans- lol.

And you can see by this picture, KLMS grandstands are really there at Vado!!!
    Last edited by Clayton_Wetters; 01-21-2020 at 06:54 PM.