Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Klms

Might make a nice sports complex or outdoor concert venue...racetrack, no.

Twomuchstagger

Chipped and bloomer fan

Great post-Thank you!
    Last time I was there-it was a 3 day show: 1. Kentucky Lake 2. Paducah 3. DuQuion, Illinois. Paducah got rained out but we got K Lake & DuQuion in on Sunday. That place was a big flat race track.

Right when Sherri took it over I went. I think it was the Commonwealth, supposed to be on a Saturday. Think I took off Friday and drove down. Around 6-7 hours from where I live in Ohio.

Well, it rains out Saturday. To this day I think they coulda got it in. It was well banked, rain ran right off it.

So Sunday, get there at like 10:30, dusty in qualifying, mod guys after late model qualifying refused to run. So they reworked the track.

Just an absolutely beautiful place, nice track. Needed better clay and a totally different reputation with the local community.

That curfew crap they had was ridiculous. Especially when you’re literally next to the highway.

Anyhow, back to the race I went to. So I figured starting at like 11-12, they’d surely be done by around 6-7. Oh no, 10:30. So, while that’s not bad, when you been there 12 hours and booked a room in Louisville, it’s an issue. I truly don’t remember most of the drive. Wife and I were exhausted when we got there. It coulda been a roach motel and we wouldn’t have cared.

Shame of it is, Francis got Scott on the last lap, last turn. Wife had already went to the car, and I was definitely done. Just sad.

So much potential, and looking at it now, dang is it in bad shape. Dunno who’d buy it, especially for 3 million. Sad to say, but doubtful it’s a racetrack. Especially when some have mentioned not many racers there now[
    CNB,that's a long day!

The '98 race was on Halloween,and I remember kids dressed up in costumes. Matter of fact,they had a Halloween costume contest. Some woman dressed as Earnhardt,moustache and all,won it. Bill Frye's oldest daughter,who's married now,was wearing a Tigger costume IIRC. That race went 75 laps before they had a caution. I think that's the longest green flag run I can ever remember seeing.
    Formerly 66#1

We went to KLMS several times great racing great facility sad deal that it's not open hopefully someone will buy it and open it again
    I remember we went there once it was so very cold there a lot of people had small heaters by their feet we just wrapped up good and enjoyed the racing once we started watching the race didn't notice the cold
    If someone does open KLMS again Guaranteed we will be there

Would be difficult getting a permit from the county after all the complaining they have had in the past. The locals don't want it there, never have, never will. Plus, the cost to get it back in shape would be outrageous.

That is true about opening the track plus Kentucky has this crazy law were you have to have something like an entertainment permit that is why it's hard to sell a race track in Kentucky they built a new race track near Corbin Kentucky and have never been able to open.

The new track outside of Corbin is different to say the least! It’s on top of a ridge with a very-very steep road in/out. It would be difficult for haulers to get to. No electricity there- only generators. The track itself is pretty much a round circle. Don’t know how the racing would be -but it’s definitely a different shape. Overall: looks to be a decent small facility. Everything is brand new. The big drawback I see (if/when) it opens is the steep grade in/out. I know lots of teams on Lucas & WOO complained for years about the roads in/out of Tazewell. Could this be 1 reason neither series are there now??

Never had a chance to go there but man those pics are sad to see. For any dirt track let alone one that nice. I dont know how the racing was there but it looks like it was a great facility.

You had to wear a face shield to keep from getting hit with rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by golddirt View Post
    You had to wear a face shield to keep from getting hit with rocks!
    That's true later on but early on ya didn't have that at but did have good racing

That ain't the only reason they don't like tazwell the speed is the other reason when they have a wreck up there sometimes it is a big one it might be the fastest track in the country

3wide
    Very true! Many drivers don’t want to take off their panties & put there big boys underwear on when it comes to the Taz. I raced there 40 years ago- & have attended races there ever since. It’s bad fast & things happen very quickly as far as crashes.
    About 6 years ago at Atomic (Kc) in Ohio I asked Bloomer: if the car is right & the track is right- what Track presents the most challenge. He thought about it for a bit- then replied Tazewell & Knoxville, Iowa.
    I responded that I understood the Tazewell answer but why Knoxville. His reply was because of the sheer speed you run there.
    So the TAZ is on his list of top 2 challenging tracks. I think a lot of drivers aren’t up to the challenge??

(Very true! Many drivers don’t want to take off their panties & put there big boys underwear on when it comes to the Taz. I raced there 40 years ago- & have attended races there ever since. It’s bad fast & things happen very quickly as far as crashes.
    About 6 years ago at Atomic (Kc) in Ohio I asked Bloomer: if the car is right & the track is right- what Track presents the most challenge. He thought about it for a bit- then replied Tazewell & Knoxville, Iowa.
    I responded that I understood the Tazewell answer but why Knoxville. His reply was because of the sheer speed you run there.
    So the TAZ is on his list of top 2 challenging tracks. I think a lot of drivers aren’t up to the challenge??)

I remember a few years ago reading some where
    that they asked a bunch of drivers what tracks they dreaded
    more than others.
    Not sure but might have been Lucas.

But the number one was Taz.
    The reason they gave was to fast.

I'm sure some of the PC suavely on here can dig
    it up.
    2021 tracks
    Florence 2
    Atomic 2
    (PPV) & Streams ( 2 many)