Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scaling

Default Scaling

I recently picked up a new roller from a well known chassis company and When I was going over the setup sheet and load numbers with them I asked about rear and left side percentages They told me they don’t even pay attention to them anymore just set the wheel loads and race. Said only reason to scale it was to check total weight. What’s you guys opinion on this?? Probably gonna throw on the scales anyway just out of curiosity

I highly disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by CCHIEF View Post
    I highly disagree.
    I agree with chief, disagree with their statement also.

Only way I would partially agree with them was if you bought a complete roller and every part was exactly the same and driver weighed really close to the 200#, but I would still set on scales to verify the left and rear % anyways but could see a guy could skip that if 100% every part on car was what they wanted exactly. That would have to include motor, battery and several things normally not bought with a roller.
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 02-07-2020 at 01:31 PM.

I got a complete car minus engine and trans but I am still gonna scale it just so I have a starting point of reference. They did tell me where to add weight if I needed it to make minimum. Thanks guys

Smash numbers do not get your left side and rear percentage correct. You must scale. As has already been said.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by doyle hargraves View Post
    I got a complete car minus engine and trans but I am still gonna scale it just so I have a starting point of reference. They did tell me where to add weight if I needed it to make minimum. Thanks guys
    It wont do you any good to scale it like that.... I needs to be race ready with driver and fuel just like your gonna race it then you can scale the car. You cant do it without the motor and other stuff in there for weight...

I know that. I mean when the car is complete. Thought that went without saying.

Mbr. I know that you have to physically move or add weight or components to change left side or rear percentages. My point was that they say they don’t worry about those percentages which I thought was strange

Yes. That is bad advice.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

I would be really scared of that manufacturer. Just because we use smash numbers now instead of scaling has nothing to do with percentages and they absolutely still matter.

I would be really scared of that manufacturer. Just because we use smash numbers now instead of scaling has nothing to do with percentages and they absolutely still matter. Racecars don't work any different than they ever did. The physics don't change. We just go about things a different way now

Relative kid bought a capital to run in 604 crate. He used their smash numbers and was fast right out of the box and won second night out in it. Two years ago and many wins and car has never seen a scale.

Quote Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
    Relative kid bought a capital to run in 604 crate. He used their smash numbers and was fast right out of the box and won second night out in it. Two years ago and many wins and car has never seen a scale.
    That does not disprove physics. They may have told him where to put weight. His percentages may have just come out correctly. Hang 50# over the RR wheel on that car and come back to me.

I once ran ,3rd in a 24 car field without a spoiler. That doesn't prove its the way to go.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

How much weight does a newer DLM typically need added?

I know on the mod side there are several of the newer cars that take no ballast at all to make weight. A lot of those guys smash and go as the percentages are built into the car.

I'm maybe too old to not scale something, and our cars need lead so we are on scales and those %'s matter to us.

Quote Originally Posted by outlaw4j View Post
    How much weight does a newer DLM typically need added?

I know on the mod side there are several of the newer cars that take no ballast at all to make weight. A lot of those guys smash and go as the percentages are built into the car.

I'm maybe too old to not scale something, and our cars need lead so we are on scales and those %'s matter to us.
    What does a 130# guy do? A 350# guy?
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Excellent analogy MBR! What manufacturer?? Be advised, Adjustment of rear end laterally will change left side % some. Knowing how much rear weight you have, and how to alter it for different track configurations is important too. The way we scale our cars now involves alternate ride height control measures. Again, the components used to the build car, engine/oil system and driver are all variables that should be accounted for. Also, coming up light after a win is piss poor planning. OUTLAW4J, depends on what TW must be; car brand, driver and components used,all vary total weight, so kind of a loaded question.

You can for the most part, just scale once to get the % set and then go off smash numbers. You really shouldn't need to scale again unless you change something that will reasonably change %'s or if you get into a wreck and want help verifying the chassis is bent or not.

Nothing wrong with scaling and is a good way to double check to see if things are still good or show a problem, but many will scale once and not really ever scale again except on a rare occasion.

Now if your running different engine packages, then you may need to scale each package to get %'s.

Man how late model set up has changed in the past 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Hustle2win View Post
    Man how late model set up has changed in the past 5 years.
    Actually latemodel setup really hasn't changed in alot of ways it's just the tunning. Legitimate chassis manufacturers still scale the car just like we always did. Only difference is now we go another step further. The way we tune on the cars has changed but the principals are the same

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    Actually late model setup really hasn't changed in a lot of ways it's just the tuning. Legitimate chassis manufacturers still scale the car just like we always did. Only difference is now we go another step further. The way we tune on the cars has changed but the principals are the same
    Well put, scale your car after putting load set shocks on to compare (statically) to older scaled deals, but not a true A to A comparison due to variables in the shock/spring components we we use in newer setups. Well this isn't a Rocket obviously, so whose car is it???
    Last edited by CCHIEF; 03-16-2020 at 02:04 PM.