Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rum Runner Racing

Just curious to know if Joey Coulter is happy with the way his "System" is working out so far. The team has made two races in speedweeks and they were both provisional starts. I understand this is a new driver but at some point in time you have to look at the program. The only one that was successful in the car was Brandon Overton and he struggled last year in the beginning. My honest opinion I believe Harrold struggles with setting up a car for the drivers and since Joey and Harrold have been together since day 1 he will always side with his crew chief.

I was surprised when Overton left that ride, but after hearing interviews it seems that Overton and Holly just didn't compliment each other well. If I were team owner, I would have kept Overton at all costs.

I'm surprised they got 2 provisionals.

I agree 100% you had the most success with him than the team has ever had but didn't want to keep him. I forsee Overton winning alot this year. He is already pushing 50k in winnings this year.

Overton wanted to travel more, and Rum Runner wanted to stay regional. I don't think Rum Runner thought they were going to make many of the shows at Speedweeks, I don't think Williams has much experience in Supers - more of a development driver.

LM1M I agree but I think it still came down to what Harrold wants and that's all that stands with that team. I hope PLW has success I just don't see it coming with this team.

Wish Brandon had an actual website like others and had a lists of his wins on it. It would seem as though if someone had a driver that's won races and some upwards of $20k, wanted to travel more you'd do what it takes to get that done

I really think Overton shines this year, maybe a kind of year like his first year with Randy Weaver. Brandon gets to call the shots on the car and not have someone go against what he wants done to the car like he had last year.

Quote Originally Posted by jsav View Post
    I really think Overton shines this year, maybe a kind of year like his first year with Randy Weaver. Brandon gets to call the shots on the car and not have someone go against what he wants done to the car like he had last year.
    Definitely agree with ya there. Seemed like him and Harold butted heads and Harold had the final say so. And with Wells, they are going to try it Brandon’s way. I think they’ll be pretty good.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

And that's another reason I believed they went with PLW is because this is his first bigtime ride and he would not question the "System" which is Harrold makes the decisions and you just shut up and drive and be happy with what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by jsav View Post
    Yep, I think he and Eric will win a lot of races together. Brandon said that his initial phone call with Eric only lasted about five minutes because Eric was willing to give him whatever he wanted. Eric knows what it takes to run a team and go up and down the road and Brandon sure as hell knows how to wheel a racecar. The more time they have together, the deadlier they'll get. I sure hope Brandon has found a long-term deal. If the leadership issues at Rum Runner are true then that's definitely concerning going forward, but I think it was known that the Williams deal would take some time to build up.

Overton and Wells is going to be an extremely strong team together. Rum Runner shoulda went with someone like Bailes or another already steady regional hot shoe. PLW is a nice story, but I don’t see it being successful

Jabber I think they went with PLW because it is his first bigtime ride and he was already use to doing what Harrold said and just go with it. I have heard stories from last year that most or the races Brandon won, Brandon was the one setting the car up and not Harrold, but that is hear say. I believe with a driver like Ross he would question the system also.

PLW just ain't showing much so far. Unless he is supplementing with the expenses, I don't see this lasting past Easter.

Quote Originally Posted by zach51 View Post
    PLW just ain't showing much so far. Unless he is supplementing with the expenses, I don't see this lasting past Easter.
    I don't see how that could be a surprise.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by NeedforLMspeed View Post
    Wish Brandon had an actual website like others and had a lists of his wins on it. It would seem as though if someone had a driver that's won races and some upwards of $20k, wanted to travel more you'd do what it takes to get that done
    He won 50k last year at vms and 20k their earlier in the year

I took out of the story on DOD about the split is they wanted to run their team very professionally like a nascar team and Overton didn’t fit that mold very well. Overton is a wheelman has proven it time and time again. I just hope I get to see him in person in the Midwest this year.

So far Brandon has been the most successful Wells driver since Marlar ran a second Wells car. Smart decision by Eric and David to put Brandon in the car.
    We'll miss ya Doc Watson...

If you listen to the interviews he's had this year, Brandon has said something along the lines of the Wells bunch not caring if he keeps the equipment at his place, at least one time I remember. From what I heard last year, that was a big issue why the rum runner deal didn't keep going.

That was one of the main reasons driving the 116 didn’t work. Randy wanted him at the shop to work and he wanted to be home during the week