Thread: setup question

Default setup question

I have a question about the position of the rear end on race car …. Is it around 1 degree in on the left & 1 degree out on the right ? I doubt if im asking this the correct way …. Like are the rear wheels square with the chassis up on the bars or pointed to the right ( looking from the rear ) …. I was asking a buddy with a mod and he wasn't sure …. He thought they were both at zero … ? He told me he has a setup sheet that gives him the position of the bar holes to start at when he scales it ...
    Retired - Snowbird ... Living the Dream

The rear wheels are very much pointed to the right.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Since this is a set up thread I have a question. My friend says you dont scale Rockets, it's all shock adjustments. Is this true and if so is it just Rocket or do all late models use this technology. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Billy_the_kid View Post
    Since this is a set up thread I have a question. My friend says you dont scale Rockets, it's all shock adjustments. Is this true and if so is it just Rocket or do all late models use this technology. Thanks
    Marshal told our driver that you dont scale a capital either, that if youre scaling it then your backing up. So may be some truth to that with a rocket

It needs to hit the scales at least once to get percentages correct. After that, it will tell you if your car is bent. Most adjustment is done with shocks during the course of an event.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

All rockets hit the scales when setup correctly. But scaling is only used to get percentages correct aswell as the front end settings and the rear end location correct. It is not used as a tunning tool anymore on a nightly bases. Not to bash anyone but maybe this is why some of the other manufacturers are struggling to keep pace with others they are forgetting the fundamentals

Modern day racer: "Scales are a waste of time, worthless, don't even bother. "Bite" and "cross" don't matter on today's cars"
    Also modern day racer: "yeah whenever it slicks I usually go up on my RF and LR smash numbers, but then I have to lower my RR and LF smash numbers or else my ride height gets messed up"

Its definitely not about horsepower (except on a few tracks).

Quote Originally Posted by Austin34471 View Post
    Modern day racer: "Scales are a waste of time, worthless, don't even bother. "Bite" and "cross" don't matter on today's cars"Also modern day racer: "yeah whenever it slicks I usually go up on my RF and LR smash numbers, but then I have to lower my RR and LF smash numbers or else my ride height gets messed up"
    Lol i almost didn't catch your sarcasm im glad i reread that

Not sure why they bother with springs anymore... Might as well weld it up to be a big Go-Kart, but wait they still use scales so no one would like that either. High tech my a$$.

Scales mean little today, other than to give you base numbers. Pull down rigs are all the rage today. Shocks and springs mean everything. 4 bar locations and birdcage timing is huge.

i think scales are still important , especially for a local racer racing at the same track most of the time , as far as base numbers mentioned above , most local racers dont have smashers and such , they tune as they race and if it gets better they can bring it home , scale it and adjust there base line as needed , as for regional and national guys , to be able to go to a track you never hardly go to , and with the info available to day , a smasher is a must...

let me ask you guys this on not scaling your car.You mean that you go racing and have no idea at all if you left rear tire is heavier equal or heavy on the rr?you may go 100 pounds heavy on the rr on a dry slick track?Good luck to all that goes to the track and doe snot know where you are at.I DONT CARE WHAT RF COMBO YOU HAVE,THE TRACTION OFF THE CORNER IS IN LR AND WHICH SIDE OF THE REAR THAT YOU STIFFEN THE SPRING...THE RF IS JUST A TOOL THAT IS MANIPULATED MANY DIFF WAYS BUT IT ALL COMES OUT SAME.THE RF IS USED TO GET THE LR UP UNDER YOUR AZZ...

Quote Originally Posted by crownman25 View Post
    let me ask you guys this on not scaling your car.You mean that you go racing and have no idea at all if you left rear tire is heavier equal or heavy on the rr?you may go 100 pounds heavy on the rr on a dry slick track?Good luck to all that goes to the track and doe snot know where you are at.I DONT CARE WHAT RF COMBO YOU HAVE,THE TRACTION OFF THE CORNER IS IN LR AND WHICH SIDE OF THE REAR THAT YOU STIFFEN THE SPRING...THE RF IS JUST A TOOL THAT IS MANIPULATED MANY DIFF WAYS BUT IT ALL COMES OUT SAME.THE RF IS USED TO GET THE LR UP UNDER YOUR AZZ...
    Corner weights are mostly just useful in keeping the car consistent. They aren't important as a tuning tool with how much the chassis changes at speed vs standing still.

Quote Originally Posted by crownman25 View Post
    The weight distribution, on the scale, is never the weight distribution on the track. That is why the scale number doesn't really matter.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

i guess im old school and still scale , but my cars are not cookie cutter cars either , we are always changing physical things on the chassis and changing our base line , so it helps me , now after we go to track and test and hopefully improve , then we take our corner numbers and go to the smasher to see where we are at , either way , i still think a combo of both are helpful....JMO.....

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    i guess im old school and still scale , but my cars are not cookie cutter cars either , we are always changing physical things on the chassis and changing our base line , so it helps me , now after we go to track and test and hopefully improve , then we take our corner numbers and go to the smasher to see where we are at , either way , i still think a combo of both are helpful....JMO.....
    I'm in the same boat. All custom geometry. I scale for percentage.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1