Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The 7000.00 shocks are why we do the bodies the way we do. Look at photos of the cars attitude in the early to mid 2000's and look now. Everyone use to run a front lr (pop-up) shock in front of the birdcage to keep the car loaded. Not now it's a henderance. Everyone's program picked up when they bolted on that first set of Integrals or Ohlins or whatever brand. And has been on fire every since with stacks,rubbers, now smashers. I know mine did.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    The 7000.00 shocks are why we do the bodies the way we do. Look at photos of the cars attitude in the early to mid 2000's and look now. Everyone use to run a front lr (pop-up) shock in front of the birdcage to keep the car loaded. Not now it's a henderance. Everyone's program picked up when they bolted on that first set of Integrals or Ohlins or whatever brand. And has been on fire every since with stacks,rubbers, now smashers. I know mine did.
    You have the cause and effect backwards. I haven't run a front LR shock for almost 10 years. Yes, those ohlins were a huge step up from the 1300 afcos. And they will still get the job done.

People realized they had a body to race as a downforce car. They valved shocks to race as a downforce car. I have Ohlins I use to race as a downforce car right now. Then sure, people started taking the body further and further because Lucas and woo didn't care. They were worried about Rumleys extra heim joints.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 02-26-2020 at 10:22 AM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

do you really think you could take a set of 1990 oil shocks , with the best tech for that day and bolt them on a car of to day with all this down force built into the body and be as fast as modern day shock tech with just the down force from the body ?

You already know that answer fastford. If you could we would be saving thousands and doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    do you really think you could take a set of 1990 oil shocks , with the best tech for that day and bolt them on a car of to day with all this down force built into the body and be as fast as modern day shock tech with just the down force from the body ?
    No. Those shocks were too heat dependent and other issues. I didn't make that claim. I did claim shocks that's been around since 2005ish can be all you need.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    then why do shocks cost so much ? im hearing of some paying over 10 grand or more for a full set.....
    That >10K "package" likely and should includes time on, or technology from a pull down rig included in that $#. Thing is some of the crack dealer's out there get you smokin their blend crack... on your $.... and their using YOU for R&D. You can't buy yourself driving talent, although many try to circumvent that thru the aforementioned crack dealers! ...I now digress
    Last edited by CCHIEF; 02-26-2020 at 07:19 PM.

shocks are not that expensive if you learn them and how to build them, its when you are completely depending on someone to build yours that it becomes expensive
    a set of used penske's that are used 2000, revalve or a piston 100-500 per set, done
    people really need to learn to work on there stuff

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    No. Those shocks were too heat dependent and other issues. I didn't make that claim. I did claim shocks that's been around since 2005ish can be all you need.
    sorry about that , i misunderstood your earlier post , any way there are people spending upwards of 10 grand on shock/tech packages , and as for working on your own car , i fully agree , h3ll , we never put much more than what there spending on shocks in our whole car , and i use to rebuild our own shocks , back when no one had dyno,s and such , now , its cheaper to pay some one that is up to date and has the equipment and knowledge to do it.....

Shocks are the biggest misunderstood item in racing because most people don't understand how they work. Other than the high-speed shaft from penske and jri, and the introduction of the air shock to the LRB shock, there have not been any notable improvements to shocks for dirt late models in the last 10 years.

Sure, there have been some new pistons here and there, but nothing that has dramatically improved performance, on or off track. Prove me wrong

You have the cause and effect backwards. I haven't run a front LR shock for almost 10 years. Yes, those ohlins were a huge step up from the 1300 afcos. And they will still get the job done.

Years ago, Shy had built us a lrr with no front shock. We dropped down a class and couldn't run dbl adj's. So, I sent it to another shock company for them to duplicate it. Their reply was, "where did you get it and we cant duplicate that". I thought to myself......I think Im dealing with the wrong shock company!

Obvously, all shock companies are not equal!