Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    your native american reference made me think of something some one told me long ago , native american,s were raciest long before the white man ever came to this country , they thought there tribe , which would be there race at the time , was superior to other tribes and tried to eradicate all the others they could , kind of like the white man done to them , again , until the past is excepted as the past , nothing will change......
    This post is 100% truth, start to finish, ff. I commend you, sir. I only make the analogy of Native Americans to what trippy the POS is suggesting because of the economic facet. The European's/American's did what they did to advance themselves economically. Other than that side of it I stand with you, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Trippy McSidewalk View Post
    Again, while distasteful, it is a simple math equation. The older population takes a disproportionate amount of money and manpower to keep healthy and alive. If those numbers are reduced, it would take the strain off SS, healthcare and pensions. Think of me what you will, but the fact remains that less people taking large sums of time and money out of any system will be good for that system in the long run.
    Spot on!...….When you apply for insurance, you are put into a category using your age, health, credit history and other factors. I guess that offends some people who don't know and accept the truth!

I didn't know Illinois was a state outside of Chicago. (Insert sarcasm)

Quote Originally Posted by NeedforLMspeed View Post
    I didn't know Illinois was a state outside of Chicago. (Insert sarcasm)
    Ill go out on a limb and bet...….more people are killed in Chicago by gunfire than the whole state by this virus!

Zero25

Ill go out on a limb and bet...….more people are killed in Chicago by gunfire than the whole state by this virus!

No ---- Sherlock, because they are being proactive instead of being reactive. I would rather see the media and the leaders of their perspective states take the warning from the CDC seriously and do what their doing instead of waiting until it's gets really bad and then try and catch up.

So with that analogy.......are we gonna ban driving that kills 50,000 people every year!

or...….wheres the outrage to stop the flu.....10,000 have already died!

Zero25

So with that analogy.......are we gonna ban driving that kills 50,000 people every year!

or...….wheres the outrage to stop the flu.....10,000 have already died!

I understand what your saying but, from listening to many health officials it's how easily this has the potential of getting out of hand real fast and our health system is not set up for what could be. That's the big problem. And as one health official said when all said and done and the health officials have to hear how they overacted he said great that means we did our jobs and so did the people by doing what they were asked to do.

Lets be honest here...….Did the media act like this over the swine flu epidemic under Obama? That actually killed 1000 Americans before he reacted!

Not sure why you or Trump want to keep bringing up what Obama did or didn't do. Lets focus on what we have in front of us now. You don't want to take it serious then don't and if I'm wrong so be it. For me I keep listening to the experts and their saying it has the potential of getting far worse then the swine flu or other viruses but, if we act now we can put the brakes on it but, you don't believe it then so be it.

Maybe because of Obummer's gross incompetence and the results, thereof?
    Or maybe the factual information that stands out.

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    And you know that more than ever now that your mom has been sick. Tell your mom to be safe. We can disagree on politics all day long but, this is a time to come together as one and look out for everyone.
    I must say thank you for your concern.

I would encourage everyone to gather their news on this virus concern from as many various and judicious sources as possible. The politics that have infiltrated "reporting" has been awful for many years but this pandemic has taken it to epic proportions. Straight up objective science or common sense can be tough to come by when some person or source is trying to point a fickle finger of blame to further an agenda.

Now I raise an eyebrow of disbelief on most any "truth" which comes from China. If they are to be believed, they are seeing some evidence of recoveries and fewer new cases. A kind of getting over the hump, maybe? Again, what do you believe from China? But, in the same geo region South Korea is seeing more recoveries than new cases and there are some encouraging things from Thailand, where it seems that increasing temps are keeping things in check. That might be a sign of encouragement as we enter warmer seasons.

Someone way back in the thread threw shade at the president for the handling of this. I hear and read a whole lot of this and don't hear and read alternative solutions, just criticisms. Yeah yeah yeah, blame Trump. At first the travel ban with the Wuhan area was what - racist, xenophobic, over the top? Now it seems it was pragmatic and some in public even removed previous tweets and walked back comments. Imagine how much better off Iran and Italy might have been with an initial travel ban. Yeah I get it, when the The Don speaks on issues like this he doesn't come off as a doctor on a TedTalk video but people do expect the president to be a spokesperson and be out front. I have heard clips of reporters trying to bait John Kasich into saying bad things about the president. He didn't go there. Actually my biggest surprise, Gavin Newsom said some very favorable things about how Trump/Pence were handling this and helping California. Wow, kind words from a very liberal governor. Bet his party will make him pay. This ain't over yet. The admin will do some very good things and will maybe miss it on some others.

Folks act like when a new admin comes in they hire a whole new CDC and develop all new plans and protocols. The CDC and other public health entities always try to plan for emergencies and those plans have been in place, tweaked, and modified for decades but new things come along. I would hope something like this refocuses the CDC on things like this and less on things like gun control or how many steps I need each day. Could we have done better on the test kit issue, you bet? Things like this can expose flaws in any disaster plan/response. This new virus has a long incubation period and until they are/were able to figure it out, they need time.

So, all these travel bans, closures, and shut-downs are happening and many are wondering if this is overreaction or not. I think this buys us a bit of time. This should slow transmission rates down. This should allow us a little more time to gather resources like test kits and get a bit more prepared. By slowing the spread we get to learn lessons from the other nations, like what works and what didn't. It buys us time to get us to warmer weather where the virus may taper off on its own. It buys us time because we don't have the room in our hospitals to let this go wide open unchecked. In the end we may not get it as bad here because of all this inconvenience, we'll see. In the end we may have a less severe flu season because people are taking better precautions in general, we'll see. In the end we may even have fewer traffic deaths because more are working from home. we'll see.

As I write this there are today reported some 128,000 cases (68,000 recoveries) and 4700 deaths globally. The rise in the US is still rather slow and that's good. The big cases of fatalities in Washington and New York affected an elderly facility and an older community (high risk factors). Were still very lucky in that we are not speaking of mass graves (like Iran) or people dropping in the streets. We get to talk about how Tom Hanks is doing with his episode and how little toilet paper is on the shelf. Well, get well Sheriff Woody and wife.

The big hits to market ain't fun and that's for sure. If I can posit a theory here I think when this is all over there will be a rebound and it will not take as long as traditional corrections. The reason for this is that corrections in the past were due to bubbles bursting. In the 90s it was the dot com bubble. 2008 gave us the housing bubble. The market was overinflated and primed for correction. Internal forces existed and the warnings were there. This virus effect is external in nature. In most cases when things return to normal most things in the market will move up again (oil is a different case with different causes). It may take time but probably not as many years as previous corrections because consuming will return.

We probably have a couple crappy months ahead yet before it gets better.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetters View Post
    I must say thank you for your concern.
    You're welcome, please take this serious and take care of your mom I'm doing the same. If it doesn't pan out to be that bad you can give me heck later and tell me how wrong I was. lol

I find it amazing, how the leftist Trump hating media's experts are right, and Trump's experts are wrong! Based on previous actions, Ill side with Trumps!

Morgs153 post contains a lot of logic and wisdom. Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    Not sure why you or Trump want to keep bringing up what Obama did or didn't do. Lets focus on what we have in front of us now. You don't want to take it serious then don't and if I'm wrong so be it. For me I keep listening to the experts and their saying it has the potential of getting far worse then the swine flu or other viruses but, if we act now we can put the brakes on it but, you don't believe it then so be it.
    What he is saying is that if the media acted now like it acted then we wouldn't be out of toilet paper and light bread....media wasn't looking for reasons for America to fail back then.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Quote Originally Posted by Mod Runner View Post
    Morgs153 post contains a lot of logic and wisdom. Good post.
    Dang sure does and dang sure is.........the first paragraph and the last line sum it all up about as good as it gets.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????