Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default WEIGHT vs HORSEPOWER

In a limited late model.If you can run 100# lighter,how much hp can you afford to give up and still be competetive ? Tires & spoiler being the same.

Super: EST 850 hp:

2350 lb / 850 hp = 2.764 lb per hp
    2250 lb /2.764 lb per hp = 814 hp

604 Crate Est 435HP:
    2350 lb / 435 hp = 5.40 lb per hp
    2250lb /5.40 lb per hp = 416 hp

Good question. I'm used to giving up power because of budget alone. So, I can only tell you it can be done without a weight break.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

If it were drag racing I could tell you exactly.100# is worth a tenth in a quarter & .06 in an 1/8 mile.Maybe somebody can translate that into dirt track.

Cubic inch being equal? I couldn't put a # on it. Depends on WHOM your competition is, track type/layout, surface and condition of it and weather conditions run in.....appropriateness of tire. Hard spec tires? And of course the ballasst behind the wheel! Grin

100 pound could be priceless if both have enough power
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

Too remotely answer the question you first need to know if all the power the heavier car has can be used.
    Then I would venture to say somewhere around what HP they can put down would be the number.

It's really not an easy question to answer as the track changes and so does HP demand. It's almost impossible to make the cars even in all conditions. Usually the lower power/light wieght is at a fair disadvantage in the traction and usually has an advantage in the slick (least as far as what rules tracks end up with)

Back in the stone age when I started we ran 4000# 57-64 Fords against 2600# Tri-Five Chevies. Fords were built from water pipe while the fast Chevies were made from exhaust tubing.

The winningist driver on the circuit, Frank Smith, won 11 track championships and six or seven area championship which was the total points from three tracks.

Frank ran '57-'58 Fords with 312 Y-block or 406 FE engines. The rules dictated open rear ends, 6 1/4 inch tires but no engine restrictions. We ran one 289 in '71 the rest were 427's.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

the old man that helped me get started was winning races in the 60,s with an old flat head ford when most every one else had gone to the ohv chevy , and its obvious the chevy,s probably had more power.....

Last season the area Limited Lates let us run with them at a couple of tracks. They're all four bar, 2,350 pound full LM chassis with a 604 or a built 406 on a 2 barrel and 11" D55s. Our Camaro clipped, leaf springed Pro Stock with 8" Dirt Bozz and a home built 383 on a 500 2 barrel has to weigh 3,000 and we gave them fits. Three seconds in the mains (never won), and were 2nd in points at one track until the last race when carb problems took us out.

Interestingly, even with our success running against them we were usually the only Pro Stock to try it. So, yeah, weight and HP ain't always the answer. Like fastford's example I was beating ohv stuff with a flathead until the end of the '60s, though mostly the overweight big engines; big Cadillacs, Olds, Chryslers, etc. Took them a while to figure out that a big heavy engine on the front of an old Ford straight axle made an evil handling beast. When the light weight small blocks took over my flatheads were toast.

If I get to pick the placement of the weight and the weight break is not excessive I will take the power everytime. If I need to dial it back a little later in the night I can but I can't handle being on the mat knowing I have everything I got on the ground and watching the other guy just drive away.

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar DLM View Post
    If I get to pick the placement of the weight and the weight break is not excessive I will take the power everytime. If I need to dial it back a little later in the night I can but I can't handle being on the mat knowing I have everything I got on the ground and watching the other guy just drive away.
    That just doesn't happen much on dirt.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

the traction enhancers we have to day are making it happen more than it did say , 10 yrs ago....

The original post was about a limited late model not necessarily the 900+HP unlimited budget late model racing of a national series. So traction shouldn't be as big of an issue. If it's limited VS crate then I take the extra torque and pull the crate 3 car lengths off every turn.

Bronson made his name a few years ago, outrunning those limiteds(550-600hp) with his 604! fact!

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    Bronson made his name a few years ago, outrunning those limiteds(550-600hp) with his 604! fact!
    People still underestimate the power of corner speed.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I'm not a racer,but here are the numbers.Built many of each,so numbers are real.
    Raised runner steelhead-685hp @2400#
    Standard runner Mullins steel head-632hp@ 2300#
    Standard runner Brodix Track 1 aluminum head-649hp @ 2300#
    Don' t need a lot of variables thrown in,just make a choice.All on same tire,all same ci, same carb.

I'd take #3 every day.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    I'd take #3 every day.
    AGREED!

message to short adding text here to post, lol

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    AGREED! message to short adding text here to post, lol
    Me three on number three!