Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

On a 50lap slick track, ill take Kyle Bronson and his 604! (not because ima fan)

count me in for #3

Word of caution.If you walked into engine shop & these 3 engines were setting there,all were new & all were the same price,if you had local tracks that did not allow the aluminum head,,then your choice might change.I am asking you to make a choice where these were all legal.
    Now for zero25.If there were 3 foot ditches every 10 foot I would take Jimmy Owens on a tricycle.

Quote Originally Posted by perfconn View Post
    .If there were 3 foot ditches every 10 foot I would take Jimmy Owens on a tricycle.
    Dan schlieper for the win on that one, He's probably the best I ever seen on bad rough tracks.

I'm not a racer,but here are the numbers.Built many of each,so numbers are real.
    Raised runner steelhead-685hp @2400#
    Standard runner Mullins steel head-632hp@ 2300#
    Standard runner Brodix Track 1 aluminum head-649hp @ 2300#
    Don' t need a lot of variables thrown in,just make a choice.All on same tire,all same ci, same carb.
    all three have enough hp , but with three identical cars on same track and same driver , its a no brainer , #3 every time for me....its hard to beat eliminating noes weight.....

I'm not a racer,but here are the numbers.Built many of each,so numbers are real.
    Raised runner steelhead-685hp @2400#
    Standard runner Mullins steel head-632hp@ 2300#
    Standard runner Brodix Track 1 aluminum head-649hp @ 2300#
    Don' t need a lot of variables thrown in,just make a choice.All on same tire,all same ci, same carb.
    That’s pretty much limited rules around us, with all aluminum “525” as 4th option.
    525 wins 98% of the time

In the topless outlaw series last year that has all those engine options,the 525's didn't win a single race.

In the topless outlaw series last year that has all those engine options,the 525's didn't win a single race.
    What does the 525 have to weigh? How much weight goes in front of the midplate?
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

WEIGHT
    • 2250 lbs -604/602/ Flat Tappet Sportsman Engine
    • 2300 lbs -Standard runner heads (Steel and Aluminum)
    • 2400 lbs -Raised runner Steelheads
    • 2350 lbs -CT 525 Crate

• CT 525 MUST have 50 lbs in front of bell housing

The thing that hurts the 525 (IMO) is usable RPM not being able to turn more the 7K sort of hurts the torque multiplication from a tall gear to keep rpm in check.

Not sure “fuel” 525s ran many Topless races. I know Kenny Collins ran one and contended for the lead???? He also won pretty much every limited show in the southeast he entered with that 525 per DirtonDirt?

Kenny is a really good driver but the facts don't change.The 525's didn't win a single race against the other engine options in the topless outlaw series.

Kenny is a really good driver but the facts don't change.The 525's didn't win a single race against the other engine options in the topless outlaw series.
    I can agree with that, but at the same time 525 won almost if not all Southeastern Late Model Series Races???? You just can’t consistently beat that fuel package with how light the motors are with an all steel motor. In the Topless series I would guess 90% were steel motors and I would also bet a large percentage will be spec aluminum heads this year???? If there was not an advantage Micheal Page would run steel instead of the 525 in the Super races that he uses his 525?

What I see with the 525 is that the rpm window has to be smaller. I'd take 3 all day too. That 50 pound in front of the motor plate makes them at a disadvantage to a lightweight block option open engine. IMO
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    The thing that hurts the 525 (IMO) is usable RPM not being able to turn more the 7K sort of hurts the torque multiplication from a tall gear to keep rpm in check.
    I've found you need to gear them higher. 6. Open gearing = 6.42 525 gearing
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

Whitener and Bronson wear them out around my area with the 525's. Whitener was the test pilot for ,Pace causing GM to switch to forged pistons!

all aluminium engines should never be allowed in any limited class...JMO...

Amen,brother.If they are sealed like they are supposed to be,noone would run one.

Amen,brother.If they are sealed like they are supposed to be,noone would run one.
    That is what killed steel/limited in our area. Fuel/Hendren rebuilds that are not GM specs
    Bone stock 525 with rpm limits are turds,but them “series” rebuilds will run like a super!

Explain......Ive never heard anything about Hendren building illegal crates!