Default Narrow vs Wide Birdcages?

What are the advantages of one over the other?

Quote Originally Posted by ckyracer00 View Post
    What are the advantages of one over the other?
    Narrow cages require bearings that fit the axle tighter (usually use 3.001 or 3.002 ID bearings) where the wider ones can use looser bearings (.004 to .008) and not have flop to them. The looser bearing is easier to get on and off the axle tube that's the main part, narrows can/will work fine with the correct bearing but the wide with looser bearings are more convenient.

That's also assuming that you could package the dimensions you want/need on a narrow vs wide cage. Some times your not able to do this and require a wider cage center.
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 03-27-2020 at 11:36 PM.

OK... what birdcages do I need on my '03 smack? I have found a few nice sets of used ones but I'm unsure of what I need.

How about the Wehr's with the zero index plates. Any comments about those? Heavy left cage?

Might as well ask about using a LRF shock... seems some have gotten away from that set-up? How about it MBR? Billet?

Maybe use my ancient steel cage on the RR?
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    OK... what birdcages do I need on my '03 smack? I have found a few nice sets of used ones but I'm unsure of what I need.

How about the Wehr's with the zero index plates. Any comments about those? Heavy left cage?

Might as well ask about using a LRF shock... seems some have gotten away from that set-up? How about it MBR? Billet?

This is an old drawing I had but works for explanation purposes.

What your mostly after is the x dimension as with these 3 you can set the shock mount from the rotor and all the 4 bars will line up correctly how they were intended.

Thanks Billet....
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post

Masters cars are pretty forgiving about the need for lr front shock. It's been a bit since you raced though, so I'd run one.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I have a single adjustable 9" Afco Schrader valve shock already rebuilt and revalved for the LRF spot...might as well use it.

As always thanks...
    Class of 2019

I wound up buying a nice used pair of Wehr's steel bird cages. Bronze bushing type. $50.00 with the hardware. I'll make them work.
    Class of 2019