Default is TBI the future of late model racing?

local series is allowing the holley sniper TBI to run this year, whats yalls opinion of such?

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/550-510
    white trash motorsports

I don't have a problem with it. They have alot of safe proofs built in them that can save a engine. The main issue with fuel injection has always been the safety issues associated with an electric fuel pump. If the proper safety switches aren't installed you can have a scenario wherea line is ruptured after a accident and the engine is off but the pump is steady running pumping fuel out at a very high rate

When you add an onboard computer you've just added constant data acquisition, and power output control via timing control. Think about that, is it a road we need to go down? I say definitely NO!

2 very very good point yall!! gotta be safe and them switches gotta be there or your asking to get bbq'ed!! these tbi deals can control timing and if tuned right will work like tracton control as well as other benifits!! i think it would help bring more younger folks into racing maybe,..thay like computer stuff better than jets and floats, advance springs and such...thay priced competitive to a good carb to! i think its time for racing to take the efi step up...time will tell!
    white trash motorsports

Thinking out loud...You'd likely want an alternator to support the increased electrical loads. What requirements are their for safety when using it? What series? Maybe a link to their rules. I'm curious! It has potential! The TBI systems are basically an electronic carburetor, that continuously adjusts itself and easily from the handheld unit. I will have a better insight based on how it is being implemented, and on what power level of engines.

heres a link to the rules, thay still working in new 2020 rules but its posted on there home page holley sniper for 2020!

https://blueridgeolm.com/rules
    white trash motorsports

what some bizarre rules. the sniper would be a slight advantage but youll be stuck to one track. id just take that money and buy a nice used super bowl or something

its a touring series, nc, sc,va an north ga!!
    white trash motorsports

Too easy to cheat up, less power than a carb, not easy to fix at the track if there is an issue.

Do they have any mandatory features for fuel delivery safety? I couldn't find anything in the rules. Pretty important to implement it safely. Not sure what would be a good way.

a manual pump could be designed to supply it running , but start up might be the issue...

it ant cheating if its allowed!! the rules ant been added yet pertaining to the sniper yet, just announced it would be allowed so far.
    white trash motorsports

They can just put the pump on a low oil pressure switch. If the pressure drops below a preset pressure, something like 4-5 pounds it turns off the electric pump. Those switches have been around for a long time

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    a manual pump could be designed to supply it running , but start up might be the issue...
    A manual pump has already been designed.
    I believe Stewart had one called Race Pumps with a version to handle pressures for port injection.

Haven't seen anything on them for awhile though.

You're buying a thousand dollars worth of trouble right there. None of those aftermarket FI systems are trouble free. Plus it's a slippery slope... allow TBI and it's down on power, then you'll see more electronics needed to fix that issue. KISS.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

agreed ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Here's a different thought...why not just allow mechanical injection like they run on sprint cars? I don't know much about the systems used on sprints, but why wouldn't you be able to run that instead of EFI if people are wanting to go towards fuel injection?