Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default raised rail/raised rack question??

can older non raised rail late model still be cooperative in a budget 602 non adj shock class? 1 track big 1/2 mile with lot of banking other track is 1/3 mile with moderate banking, will be a newbie driver and team. ant expecting to dominate, just wanta keep up with the pack!!
    Last edited by dirty white boy; 03-29-2020 at 05:21 PM.
    white trash motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by dirty white boy View Post
    can older non raised rail late model still be cooperative in a budget 602 non adj shock class? 1 track big 1/2 mile with lot of banking other track is 1/3 mile with moderate banking, will be a newbie driver and team. ant expecting to dominate, just wanta keep up with the pack!!
    Page recently put on a show in a 604 race with one.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Depends on what you consider old. Slick tracks will be the challenge. If you could get someone smart, with experience, to hands on help you, the learning curve could be greatly reduced. So....Yes it can keep up, but the condition of and components on it can be a BIG variable and challenge for an all rookie team.

a 00 bwrc updated to a 07 with 35 nights on it since new. and a 00 stinger thats been updated as much as it can without clipping it. when new it was run 2 seasons and sat in shop for back up till 08 when it was updated an run a few times then back to setting in the corner! both cars are in great shape and im thinking thay be real good for driver/owner/crew to learn learn on and not be out of a lot of money when we tare them up during this learning curve! or am i crazy??
    white trash motorsports

I don’t know those cars....I personally would start with a much newer car than that. A bluegray rocket with 15 updates is as old as I would throw my money at, as far as Rockets go. Their selling for a song right now!

the answer is yes, we recently took a 12 warrior and smoked the field, it was so bad they looked at everything (they thought we were cheating) and yes we beat new cars
    you don't need all the traction that is built into the new cars, it will actually bog the car down too much, we found this out in the 604's, the 602's I'm sure will be worse
    i like the rules at our local track, they can run just about any tire, so they buy our used stuff

its not just built in traction that makes newer set ups fast , it is the speed they carry through the turns , and this is where you will be at a disadvantage you are not gone make up with that old of a chassis.....JMO.....

DWB.... Didn’t you just win a 09 BW that had been updated in 12? There’s way too much BWRC knowledge in your area to try to start off with a old a$$ Stinger. I’m pretty sure there are 2 of the exact cars than won almost every 602 race there at your local track. PM me if you wanna sell it!

yes i did, its a 2013 bwrc, bare chassis! already got the other 2 cars and another 97 bwrc! the 00 an 97 are full rollers as well as the stinger. id rather start with the 13 but i ant got the money to buy every thing to build a bare chassis and afraid that by the time i could get it rolling it be as irrelevant as the rest of my junk, and all that knowledge round here says nothing on the others will work on the 13!! got every thing to run ether of the other 3 i got! just wanta turn some laps and learn what i can if i can and not be in the way! oh yeah , them 2 icon's that won so much have been replaced with newer long horns for 2020! dirtslinger20 are you brad or brandon???
    white trash motorsports

Can an older chassis without the raised rf rail win a race? yes Can one of these older chassis, with a very knowledgeable crew and driver sometimes win several races in a row at one certain track? yes Can one of these older chassis be absolutely competitive at 4-5 track? probably not When you buy one of these new chassis, you should be getting the best help available. Heck, if you buy a capital chassis, you can call Shane Clanton or Marshall Green from the track and they will help you make the car better. If you are trying to run one of the older chassis against this new stuff, the driver better be up on the wheel, and somebody on that team better have ALOT if knowhow. I help several small teams, and they all are very underfunded. I feel you pain, trust me.

So if all these new cars are so much faster..... are the lap times showing it????? In our area the lap times haven’t really changed in years......but the cars are faster........

you cant base lap times on that one perfect lap when the track is at optimum condition , most races on over in the year are run on junky , slick tracks , this is where the newer chassis and there set up pays off the most.....

understanding set ups are the key, no matter which car you have

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    you cant base lap times on that one perfect lap when the track is at optimum condition , most races on over in the year are run on junky , slick tracks , this is where the newer chassis and there set up pays off the most.....
    Spot on FastFord!

Quote Originally Posted by grt74 View Post
    you don't need all the traction that is built into the new cars, it will actually bog the car down too much, we found this out in the 604's, the 602's I'm sure will be worse i like the rules at our local track, they can run just about any tire, so they buy our used stuff
    Definitely not so, if you know how to free car up, corner speed is Paramount with crate engine cars, as is consistent fast laps... lap after lap....and quick off the start. Run any loaded field touring series crate races? If so how did you fare feature time. Not being a jerk, serious question.
    Last edited by CCHIEF; 03-31-2020 at 01:11 PM.

I just updated my old '03 WISSOTA Mastersbilt...raised front x-member/rack, raised right rail, new bolt on four bar brackets. Bought everything from Tader Masters.

This chassis has 4 partial seasons under it's belt then parked in the garage since '08.

I just hope the over the hill driver has enough talent left in the tank.
    Last edited by Krooser; 03-31-2020 at 08:25 PM.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

krooser im hoping you and that mopar'ed masterbeater dose well this season!!

learning setup biggest thing im after right now!
    white trash motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    Take a look at the big races,,, C J Rayburn pointed it out in an interview a few months ago,, Eldora,East Bay,etc.... are not faster and common sense says they all should be now that cars are “faster”

CJ is missing a big issue, they don't run on the correct tire compounds anymore. That is a big hindrance. Yet even though 3 corners of your car must have LM20 on a black surface for 100 laps, the feature times at Eldora are indeed better than 10 years ago. Quite a bit better, in fact.

CJ has done a lot in this sport. I like the guy too. But, everything he says isn't true just because he said it.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 04-01-2020 at 07:00 AM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Also the surface and configuration at many tracks has changed. So its typically not a apple's to apple's comparison. But their definitely going faster