Default Winch recommendations?

Got an old school steep ramp over trailer. Any idea what winch rating I should look for?

Thanks ,

I know you can pay some pretty money for some, so no specific brand recommendation, but what I would say is to pay attention to how the winch is rated (weight wise). Much like a gear ratio, the amount of weight the winch can pull (easily) is dependent on how much cable is spooled on the drum. Meaning...the less cable acts as a smaller gear, whereas three or four winds of cable on the drum increases its size, acting as a "bigger" gear. So I'd at least run just a little more cable than you actually need (it's need is different than if mounted to a truck and pulling you out of a swamp or something).

I learned the hard way by buying an ATV winch rated a 3500 lbs, thinking the car didn't weigh near that...not nearly powerful enough. You'll probably be in that 8500-9000 lb. range (maybe even higher), especially if your trailer is inclined the entire way.

I have a harbor freight 5000lb on a ramp over open trailer works great. I would recommend mounting it in the box though i had one fail from water intrusion causing rust underneath the magnets. Still worked just got really noisy. But for the money you can't go wrong. And what's said above about the cable is very true. If you look in the paper work that comes with any winch you will see the rating drops exponentially with every full wind on the drum

The traveller winches from tractor supply are super nice units. They also have the wireless kits to use a wireless remote with them. Also harbor frights are actually pretty good like stated above. Main thing I would want is synthetic rope for the cable. It is so much nicer than regular steel cable. Just try and be sure there are no rough edges for it to grab on the trailer to cause it to fray when winching the car up. Typically the ropes will comes with a fair lead made for them. The synthetic rope doesn't use a roller style like a cable style does.

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    I have a harbor freight 5000lb on a ramp over open trailer works great. I would recommend mounting it in the box though i had one fail from water intrusion causing rust underneath the magnets. Still worked just got really noisy. But for the money you can't go wrong. And what's said above about the cable is very true. If you look in the paper work that comes with any winch you will see the rating drops exponentially with every full wind on the drum
    Cheap ones tend to fudge the pull rating and increase the gear reduction so they are slower.
    Slower isn't a big deal on a trailer winch vs pulling 50 yards on a time limit.
    I have a Rule winch, 6k pound and the one of the fastest on the market at 31ft per minute. Rule makes winched for marine applications so it's sealed and all aluminum.

BadLands are pretty decent, a little slow but cheap enough
    Warn is pretty good quality wise but pricey.
    Smitty built and Super are good ones too.
    Synthetic ropes are nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    they have there bad lands 9000 on sale now , there not a waren , but they work fine for this type of use , if you want it to be fast , leave the full spool of cable on it , but if you need more power , take half or more off , we have one in our enclosed trailer and it will load a late model with the full spool with no problem and pretty quick , hard to beat for under 300 bucks......

Thanks everyone for your input