Default Headers for steel head late model

What is the best kind of headers to use for a steelhead motor? Mainly wondering about tube size and collector size

schoenfeld stepped headers is very good and affordable , go to there web site and check them out , we use the 1 3/4" to 1 7/8 " with i think 3 1/2" collector ,

I'm not in the know, but a lot of variables to be considered. MANY different steel Heads, Cubic Inch, Stroke, cam profiles used! http://www.4m.net/member.php?623-perfconn PM Terry? He's likely much in the know with for your combination.

Fastford is dead on.No need to buy the expensive tri-y's unless the engine builder used too big of a cam & you need more torque.

I agree with fastford but i can't agree with the try y statement. Try y headers good ones anyway realy help smooth the area under the curve. Most drivers notice the difference immediately on restarts and at throttle pickup in the center. If I'm getting a 4-1 i like the full length Schoenfeld but. I prefer beyea try-y mild steel. The overall build quality is way better. Thicker flanges better fitment etc... imo

It probably depends a bit on the track, but we definitely had a very noticeable difference switching to tri-y headers on our 358 steel late model. Restarts are huge at our track, and I’d pay double what they cost for the difference it made.

It sounds like you are saying they kill torque/smooth below peak? I only ask cause we have two differing opinions on what they do above you.

I wouldn't say they kill torque but they smooth the curve and tend to pick up torque in the low range and help carry it out the back. Smooth is the word that best describes what they do and a smooth curve makes a drivable engine. I have also personally seen a engine pick up 200rpm running the same gear with only the change of headers. The argument from the above posters would suggest that the headers removed must have been to small. Bottom line is they work and they wouldn't be on 95%of the racecars out their if they didn't.

Tri-Y headers are designed to be able to have the same, or better flow at high rpm due to more efficient design/scavenging, with the low end torque advantages of a smaller primary tube. Best of both worlds. I’m not smart enough, nor do I have the equipment to necessarily prove that, but I understand the design and theory and have seen the difference on the car. They put a smile on the driver’s face for sure. It’s noticeable.