Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Late Models

Default Old Late Models

Thought about putting this on Leebos Corner put I don't think hardly anyone even goes there these days. Nothing like old late models, not to say they are better, but they were the best in their own time.

Attached Images Attached Images

Awesome stuff, Clayton. Please do more.

Yes more please. Their before my time but i love seeing anything from the earlier days. Most latemodels already had plastic nose when i started

I would guess that is close to around the year Ken Walton won the World....

They ruined a great track when they paved Hawkeye Downs in 89. We were spoiled with all the great drivers in eastern Iowa, miss those days.

Quote Originally Posted by intel8 View Post
    They ruined a great track when they paved Hawkeye Downs in 89. We were spoiled with all the great drivers in eastern Iowa, miss those days.
    Luckily there's no shortage of great race tracks in Eastern Iowa.

I agree about Hawkeye Downs, glad I got to run it before and after (ran the dirt car on the pavement a couple of times). You are right about eastern Ia, great tracks.

Got to attend a race with my parents at Hawkeye Downs prior to it's ruination. Even though I was at an age when it wasn't cool to hang out with the parents I went along 'cause I wasn't old enough to drive and even if I had been I probably wouldn't have owned a car capable of making the 8 hour round trip. It turned out to be a great time since I wasn't familiar with most of the guys racing that night but Dad was. I remember that a couple of my Dad's favorites were there that night, Darrell Dake being one of them. Tommy Hearst and Fast Eddie Sanger were also there, IIRC.

One of the nicer tracks and facilities I ever had the pleasure of attending.

Darrell was my one of my favorites as a kid as well, though I will say Mike Neffiniger was probably the top of the list. I was lucky enough to get to race with most of them (except Neffiniger, he retired before I was old enough to run). Running three or more nights a week was the norm back then...

Quote Originally Posted by EvelB7 View Post
    I would guess that is close to around the year Ken Walton won the World....
    That might be the car he won the 100 with actually. I'm trying to find out for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryM View Post
    Awesome stuff, Clayton. Please do more.
    Thank you, I'll try to keep posting more when I get time. I could give out tips on how to post pictures, I'm sure others have some that they would like to post also.

I can't make out the name on this one. Back around 1980 there were a few cars with a wing actually on top of the car. Buck Simmons and Jerry Inmon come to mind.
    Last edited by Clayton_Wetters; 04-09-2020 at 09:19 PM.

Does anyone remember the indoor race at the Silverdome?

Dirtfans101 is a great site for late models, they have some great pics there.

Wonder what track this is.

By looking at the Silverdome pic, must have been the same crew that prepped the WOO race at Rockford! Luckily someone wasn't hurt at that fiasco! Compacting dirt with a roller.

Dirtfans101 is a great site for late models, they have some great pics there.
    Yes, I'll post some from there soon.

By looking at the Silverdome pic, must have been the same crew that prepped the WOO race at Rockford! Luckily someone wasn't hurt at that fiasco! Compacting dirt with a roller.
    I've only seen a steam roller one time at a dirt track ever. It was at Bluegrass Speedway in Bardstown, Kentucky.