Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chassis Options

Default Chassis Options

New to the forum, not new to racing but it has been a few years. Looking to dip my toes into the crate late model world again. I just wondered what chassis is the best option with the best tech support. I know Rocket and Longhorn are great chassis, just not sure a brand new one is in my budget. I’ve pondered finding a used blue/grey, but then again it’s hard to know which ones have been abused and what life they’ve led. I live within reasonable distance to Rocket and Lazer. I have friends that run Mastersbilt that say their support is great. Lazer drivers say their support is great. I know these 2 chassis in comparison are cheaper than the high end chassis, but can they be competitive? Or any of the others for that matter? I want to be competitive locally. I have no aspirations of running a national tour, but don’t want to be a back marker because I chose a certain chassis (my driving needs the rust knocked off Im sure). Basically what chassis is the best bang for the buck for a somewhat limited budget is my overall question? Any opinions?

Buy the best car you can get in your budget. Any of those brands can be fine for you.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Cvr. No doubt about it. His cell is on their business site on fb. Give chip a call. You wont regret it.

If it's money spent vs support you won't go wrong with a Lazer. But that being said they have been a little behind the last year or two. If your close to rocket that's the route i would go. They provide great support and their are many dealers in the area that can really give you the one on one needed to get back up to speed. I would suggest calling freyco. Colby has quite a few cars going really good in the steel block stuff and he's a very budget minded guy

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    If it's money spent vs support you won't go wrong with a Lazer. But that being said they have been a little behind the last year or two. If your close to rocket that's the route i would go. They provide great support and their are many dealers in the area that can really give you the one on one needed to get back up to speed. I would suggest calling freyco. Colby has quite a few cars going really good in the steel block stuff and he's a very budget minded guy
    JKing24 is there a way to save money on a new Rocket? I’ve heard what those cost as rollers from Rocket and I believe that would be out of my budget.

I’d recommend a Lazer to anyone looking for best bang for their buck.

CVR is small, but very good on support I hear, and also, as far as smaller, but very good, I would recommend TrakStar out of Cuba, Al. Another option that I think u may have missed is the option of buying a 1-4 year old chassis, and then after you buy it, hire a consultant like Kurt at Envy Suspension. Save on the chassis, but get top notch support from a very good 3rd party. There are many people out there who wilk take your money, not too many of them are dedicated enough to help you get where you want to be. I am not employed by any of the people that I have mentioned, I am just passing along my honest opinions. I may be off base completely.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdobberrr View Post
    CVR is small, but very good on support I hear, and also, as far as smaller, but very good, I would recommend TrakStar out of Cuba, Al. Another option that I think u may have missed is the option of buying a 1-4 year old chassis, and then after you buy it, hire a consultant like Kurt at Envy Suspension. Save on the chassis, but get top notch support from a very good 3rd party. There are many people out there who wilk take your money, not too many of them are dedicated enough to help you get where you want to be. I am not employed by any of the people that I have mentioned, I am just passing along my honest opinions. I may be off base completely.
    I think I would take it a step further and spend some time on a pull down rig like Zeta. I have seen them make some serious gains in a local car builders chassis!

You know my thoughts, what is your “BUDGET”??

Almost every racer has the same budget. "All they got"
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

My budget to get a complete or almost complete roller is around 15,000 give or take. It could grow some in the next few months but 15 is a good baseline for me. Already have the crate engine and trans so that is not counted in the budget.

I don't think your gonna get a new rocket or a Lazer rolling with shocks for that number. Their are good used cars out their too be had in that range. You can get a rocket alot cheaper than the number alot of people like to throw around because the number most people throw around is for alot more than a basic roller it's more like no seat, trans and engine. That being said i don't know the exact number but i think colby frye is about the cheapest for a new rocket car. Bernhiesel is probably the best bang for your buck for new in this area with great support. But as I've stated before i feel like their a little behind right now but that is just my personal opinion and I'm nobody so....

Quote Originally Posted by Cushion_Pushin View Post
    My budget to get a complete or almost complete roller is around 15,000 give or take. It could grow some in the next few months but 15 is a good baseline for me. Already have the crate engine and trans so that is not counted in the budget.
    That's plenty healthy to get a competitive piece.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

My problem with buying used is the unknown factor of the true life it’s had. I know you can use chassis numbers and ask dealers for info but that is only as good as their sources. I’d almost rather take an extra few months and assemble something new if it would help on the price vs a dealer assembling, than to chance buying used and ending up with something twisted or used up. Am I off base?

If you contact Jesse Lowe or Will Herrington on Facebook, they have some top notch CVR cars that have won a ton of money in crate around the southeast. They are having chip build both of them new cars is the only reason for selling. And both are priced at or below your budget.

I don't know anything about the cvr cars so i can't comment one way or the other. You sound like your a mid Atlantic area guy. With the newer cars being built the way they are (stiffer) they don't seem to be flexing out or being "used" up as fast. And most of the bigger names have their process and material sources in place so i feel like their are less and less "bad" cars being built now days. I don't think your wrong for wanting to wait vs chance it i did. I'm obviously a rocket guy but i can honestly say i don't think in the last four years i have seen a bad xr1 we have ran at least four of them and they were all good a couple were better but i don't think it had anything to do with the actual chassis. That being said i don't think I've seen a bad longhorn or black diamond either. Their is another manufacture in this area that has really made some noise and i really liked alot until i seen one wrecked bad. I've been told their new cars are different and the issue i saw has been addressed but i haven't seen one to know. I have no interest in slandering the chassis brand because i know their isn't a manufacture out their that intentionally builds a unsafe car. You can pm me if you want any details

Black Diamond=Bougie Rocket! ......and done!
    Last edited by CCHIEF; 04-16-2020 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    That's plenty healthy to get a competitive piece.
    Agree, and beware the chit peddlers! Asking and actual value are usually far apart unless it is good stuff. GOOD used equipment is worth ~50 cents on the dollar stand alone...usually less as a complete roller assembly MAny put their junk on a car when they sell it, or it may have been built out of bargain junk... BEWARE. Do you think your going to be easy on equipment or do you have a history of tearing your car up? Crate racing is tough, lots of newbies and no one wants to give an inch or lift for anyone. Less of a problem at non pill draw events...up front.
    Last edited by CCHIEF; 04-16-2020 at 03:00 PM.

Lazer usually sells a complete used roller (no seat, engine, trans, shocks) with all new decking/body for about the price you’re looking. Like a year or two old, but put on the jig, checked, and fresh powder coat. I’m not sure what they have right now, but they usually have a few to choose from in the off season. They’re great people to work with, and their base setup will have you up near the front out of the box if you can wheel it there.

Jimmy Jesmer of Pasadena MD. has a nice 15 blue front rocket with fresh 2020 updates, new body and XR1 left rear four link plates. Been for sale for a while and he just dropped the price again. If you’re interested I can get you his contact info