Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Geographic center of Late Model Racing?

Okay guys, I was talking to a friend about this and trying to figure out where the very heart of Late model racing is? Were would be the best geographic location for say a new racing team to be? It can't, can't really be very far west because Late Models aren't really a thing way out west or very far East because of the dang ocean. Is it near Cincinnati? Louisville? Paducah? I'm pretty sure it's somewhere in Kentucky or is that too far North and it's in Tennessee? You want to be able to pull to most of the major races and run one of the National tours or run outlaw on both of them but you can't have too far of a one way trip. There's really no Charlotte, North Carolina type hub for DLM racing (the WRG office in Charlotte doesn't count). If there was, where would it be?
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Shovel on a little more coal, then when we cross white oak mountain, watch 97 roll!

The problem is the gall dang motors.

I would say Tennessee. Easily hit big races in the south and semi close to Kentucky, WV, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois.

Illinois.....and everything radiates out from there.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

I will say if your state doesn't even have weekly supers, you are not the center.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I've lived in a Super Late Model backwater for years, most of my life actually with growing up in Michigan then joining the Navy when I was 23. I'll say though a lot of what they call Supers at some tracks are still well, not as super as is allowed under the rules.

To me, Illinois seems like the too far west end of it there's a lot of late model racing there, no doubt but I think of like Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota etc as being modified country. Maybe it is Illinois. I don't know.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Shovel on a little more coal, then when we cross white oak mountain, watch 97 roll!

The problem is the gall dang motors.

I’d say the flag pole on the infield of Eldora

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post
    Illinois.....and everything radiates out from there.
    I agree, this isn’t even debatable.

Florence Kentucky

Illinois has good racing, but it's at the western edge of the LM world.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

If we’re talking geographic, I’d say PRP.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

I actually did the math on this a few years back. The criteria was based on access to purse money, distance from late model tracks. The best possible place to be a that time was in the Charleston, WV area. I can't remember exactly how i did it, but i do remember that local racing was not considered as much as touring (big money) racing.
    In the aDLMr drivers are rewarded for showing up often and performing well against the top competition!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Illinois has good racing, but it's at the western edge of the LM world.
    That is incorrect. There are a lot of good Late Model teams in Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri, Arkansas, etc. which are all west of Illinois.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedforLMspeed View Post
    Florence Kentucky
    This. I think Shelton and/or Rigsby’s said as much before. We’re not talking where the best overall racing is (Illinois). Kinda like Kansas is the geographic center of the US, Florence Speedway is the geographic center of late model racing.
    We'll miss ya Doc Watson...

Quote Originally Posted by fryefan View Post
    That is incorrect. There are a lot of good Late Model teams in Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri, Arkansas, etc. which are all west of Illinois.
    They're are good teams out that way but there's not a ton of them. The majority of DLM racing is East of Illinois. If you're talking centrally located, I'm thinking Tennessee or Kentucky.

tracks/track conditions make the race in my opinion, racers always do their best no matter what type of track they were given to race on. i suppose someone should crunch the numbers and figure which state has the most lm drivers and that state should be given this honor you are asking about. i think the better question is which state has the most tracks you would like to see late models race on. Or which tracks produce the best lm races is another way to look at it and which track facilities best support the racers and the fans.
    Everybody Love Everybody!
    Spumoni!
    4m trolls are so sad....

As far as a place for a team to be based in I'd say along I-81 in eastern Tennessee around Bulls Gap. I havent added them up but probably 25 tracks with in 6 hours from that area that run Supers.

I think some are misinterpreting the question.

Why do you think Bloomer located himself in northeastern Tennessee?

If you are located between Knoxville, Chattanooga and Bristol, TN... you have tons of tracks within a 4 hour drive to race supers at. Maybe not as much weekly super racing, but regional super racing galore.

If you look at the North East corner of Georgia, where Tennessee, Ga, and N.C. all come together, I belive you would find yourself geographically located to cover pretty much all the Dirt Late Model racing you can handle. From that area you can be almost anywhere there is racing going on in 8 hours or less. A huge portion of that is less than 6 hours, and there are plenty of good solid regional shows within 2 hours or less. When I was racing Supers I used to dream about being able to go out and run the roads on a regional level and I thought about where I would live if I could pick based on that. I figured I couldn't do any better that where I'm at right now. Even if you wanted to race on a National level, the farthest races would be tracks like Lernerville and up in the North East, or the races that go past the midwest region. Maybe I'm biased. If I had to pick somewhere other than that, I would say middle to northern Tennessee would be your best bet to be right smack in the middle of everything. That puts you within a reasonable commute to do the Hell Tour, you could still cover a lot of SAS, Schaeffer's, even the Carolina's, and you would be a little closer to some of the action that happens up in the North East.
    Last edited by hardracer32; 04-17-2020 at 12:34 PM.