Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

New Smyrna, one of the first years it was open, when it was clay! My dad was the flagman!

I really don"t know. It was either Heidelberg or South Park.

lokwaidid say lawrenceburg would cut the mountains down it's possible to make it great again,the way it's today it requires maximum HP to get around the dam place.

Quote Originally Posted by WisWildManFan View Post
    To think with your infinite ball of knowledge you would be able to recall the year when you were 6,7,8 years old. Must be the dementia setting in. God speed my memory lost friend.
    Your analysis, and obsession is equal parts humorous, since it's fun being in someone's head to that degree, and the absorption is creepy at the same time! When you throw in the credibility of a retarded field mouse it makes for an strange mix of character flaws! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    New Smyrna, one of the first years it was open, when it was clay! My dad was the flagman!
    Hmmm, never knew NSS was ever dirt.

Do you know what year it was built and what year it was paved?

Port Royal, 3 years old

I was too young to remember, but it was either O'hare speedway, by the airport, or Waukegan speedway - both in Ill. Long closed, of course. This was mid 60's. As soon as I could drive, it was off to SantaFe for me.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Hmmm, never knew NSS was ever dirt.

Do you know what year it was built and what year it was paved?
    Mid 60's, It was paved pretty quick as they couldn't control the dust!

My first race was 1951, BIR/Birmingham, Top drivers back then were, Harold and Freddy Fryer, plus Nero Stepto. I watched Nero run 23 laps with the left front tire and wheel off and won the feature. I also seen the Grand Nationals run there with Pearson, Baker, Petty and Fireball Roberts. The last big one was the North/South last year...
    -------------------------
    See you down the road!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by buster83 View Post
    lokwaidid say lawrenceburg would cut the mountains down it's possible to make it great again,the way it's today it requires maximum HP to get around the dam place.
    Under no circumstances would I like to see a 700hp motor outrun a 900hp, but I agree that the BURG made the wrong move in making this track over the old one.

The world famous Manzanita Speedway in 1975.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetters View Post
    Under no circumstances would I like to see a 700hp motor outrun a 900hp, but I agree that the BURG made the wrong move in making this track over the old one.
    Should we just bring dyno sheets and go home? Making it about a lot more things than engine is what makes it interesting. 900hp should almost never be fully utilized.

I'm not sure you know what that race looks like. I've seen it on racy surfaces that were not even black.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Why should a 700hp car outrun a 900hp car? Handicaps?

Why should a 700hp car outrun a 900hp car? Handicaps?
    Driver. Setup. Easier to drive. Many reasons.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

i was 14 or 15 years old , they tore the old freeman,s motocross track at eastaboga Al up and built the dirt track that is now Talladega Short Track , now my family was into drag racing at that time but we finally found our way to the dirt , i can remember watching red farmer and davey allison , who was a bit older than me , race there before davey made it to cup......

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Driver. Setup. Easier to drive. Many reasons.
    That's not reality. Everybody likes an underdog, but let's keep the rules at least close for all. If you don't have the motor, then you just do the best you can with the rest of the car.

Schmuckers speedway Latrobe Pa

That's not reality. Everybody likes an underdog, but let's keep the rules at least close for all. If you don't have the motor, then you just do the best you can with the rest of the car.
    A lot of dyno sheets aren't reality either, so there's that. To be sure, we've come a long way from 461x heads and TRW pistons, but you can make a dyno say whatever you want to. Late Models have been "850 horsepower" for as long as I can remember, even back when the budget teams were running stock block 406 motors and 23 degree heads. Which even if it was possible wouldn't last too long. It's kind of like new car ads in the 60's muscle car era, where the marketing department decides the horsepower numbers. You've talked about Dolly Parton purses a lot over the years, remember that there's Dolly Parton power bands too. If your power is all out where it's just window dressing, then an engine that's less powerful can outrun it.

The only real Dyno is the stopwatch.

Personally, we should scrap everything we're doing and run Chevy LS, Ford Mod motors and New Hemis with hair dryers the size of shop vacs on them. Then the power numbers would be pretty even (and huge), the cars would be stupid fast and you could spend as little as you're brave enough to spend to build a bad fast motor. That won't happen ever though because that's just crazy idea club stuff.
    Last edited by Rocky; 04-28-2020 at 04:22 AM.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Shovel on a little more coal, then when we cross white oak mountain, watch 97 roll!

The problem is the gall dang motors.

Let’s just call a spade a spade and agree the new Burg sucks lol. I personally know two of the people responsible for the track redesign, and I will never forgive them for it.

Just curious, but do you guys drive or have raced on the old track versus the new track? i raced on both, and the new one is fun, and fast, old one was ok, but that no wall at night was a pain in the... at night. I much prefer the new track, especially when its clean and you can run up against the wall. I have thought the track prep was a little off there, with the new track, its to lose and heavy, needs to be more packed in tight like Florence, but that's just my opinion.

Just say no...