Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Quote Originally Posted by over4T View Post
    Probably the Ashtabula County Fairgrounds in Jefferson, Ohio around 1954 or 55. Me and a buddy in junior high school used to hitchhike (remember that?) about 10 miles out to the podunk town on Friday nights through the farm roads to watch the old coupes and coaches, most with flatheads or inline sixes and some with big for the day Olds, Cadillac and Chevies. One class and 60 or 80 cars on the typical dusty, primitive 1/4.

It was like $.50 to get in and we never had the money so we generally climbed a fence behind the livestock barns and make a run through the manure for the grandstands. Got caught about half the time and tossed out so we'd try another entry till we made it. The backstretch fence was along side a road and one night after being caught at our other entries we jumped the fence during a break in the action and made a run for the infield pits. Made it that time.

Usually didn't have much trouble hitching to the joint but getting picked up at 11 or 12 p.m. heading home was another thing. Not a lot of cars out at that time in the sticks and the rides we did get were often only a mile or so and a lot of walking so it often ended up a 2 or 3 hour trip. Much simpler times and a lot of memories.
    Great story!

spanaway speedway in the early 70's.

Jennerstown speedway, 1980 when it was dirt.

Probably the old Sky Valley Speedway near Monroe, WA. 1/3 mile clay track that was built next door to a gravel pit. BIG glacial till/riverine rocks would pop up in turns 1-2 and go flying. Saw a young Sammy there in the late 70's. Gravel pit got expanded and track was gone in the late 70's.
    Last edited by GrocMax; 05-04-2020 at 11:08 PM.

First dirt track was the old Concord Speedway in Concord, NC. It was an eye opening experience. Before that I was a regular attendee at Jackson International Speedway in Clinton, MS. Both were 1/2 milers. Jackson was way faster, the swapped the 1/2 mile world record with Winchester, In on a regular basis.

chopter and GrocMax, Went to Skagit often for the Jim Raper run show and, later, the Dirt Cup Memorial for him. I lived in southern CA in the '60s and '70s so it was a long ride but the Sprints were great, especially when Jimmy Sills was dominant for several years at the Dirt Cup.

Knew I had been to another Washington dirt track and thought it was Spanaway until GrocMax posted about Sky Valley and mentioning the rocks brought back an ah, yes that was the one moment. If I remember correctly also got to watch racing in the rain on the pavement at Monroe on the same trip. Probably early '70s.

Thanks for the northwest memories guys.

East Moline Speedway - Sunday nights - Go #56! 1970's

Webb use to win two nights a week (Friday and Sunday) at East Moline (especially when he drove for Toland). I think Dolan did the same thing for a couple of years in the 80's as well. They had some really cool racing in the 80's there, the Coors 100 was always a great show.

Quote Originally Posted by 56GWebbfan View Post
    East Moline Speedway - Sunday nights - Go #56! 1970's
    Also known as the Quad City Raceway. That reminds me of the first track I attended. The original Quad City Raceway south of Moline il. near Coal Valley. The early 1950's track is now part of I 74. My fondest memory was sitting on my mothers lap eating dirty cotton candy.