Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default What is the first race track you ever attended?

What is the first race track you ever attended? Any track of any kind works. Or any other first races memory highlights.

My first race was at the OLD Lake Side speedway in Kansas City Ks. I was like 5yrs old, but remember it vaguely to this day.

My first Late Model type race I attended was at Beaver Lake Speedway in Rogers Ark. Bill Street and Johnny Bone Sr were the guys. Going to Beaver Lake Speedway Saturdays and Monett Speedway on Sundays were the norm for years.

The other highlight that I remember from childhood was the first of three precursor races to the WoO Sprintcar series races held at the OLD Joplin speedway (on Range Line I think), promoted by Ted Johnson in 1977. The touring WoO Sprintcar series started the next year.
    Last edited by lurker; 04-21-2020 at 08:25 PM.

Not certain, but it would have to either be Slinger Speedway in Wisconsin or the Milwaukee Mile. Slinger was always memorable as Alan Kulwicki was the local hot shoe at the time, and I distinctly remember seeing Foyt run a stock car at the Mile.

The funny thing is, fast forward to racing of my own...I never knew there was racing on dirt until we moved to Illinois in 1984 and attended Sycamore Speedway for the first time.

Fairbury. 1975. I was 7

A dirt track in West Baden Indiana. Day races in the dust, many of the cars actually drove to the track on the highways and roads, I was just four years old.

My first was West Baden also. Stovepipe Brown and Clyde Wilson I remember well.
    On second thought, my first could have been the old Mitchell Speedway on SR 37 just north of Mitchell.

The "Sports Bowl" in Dubuque Iowa.

Heidleberg speedway, pra, 1960 or 61. Jalopies were everywhere. Anyone remember the drivers seat set at anywhere from 25 to 45 degree angle. Big Ole moon gas pedal out to the right and left foot braking. Ahhh, the smell of burning oil .

Late 90s early 2000s at Pittsburgh. My first/youngest memory is the #1cochran car.

1998 at i-55 Raceway pevely mo.

Fairbury American Legion Speedway. Don't remember the exact year. My parents first took me to FALS when I was 6, 7, 8 years old. Don't remember for sure but I was very young. Jack Tyne was a friend of my Dad and was a grizzled veteran on his way to becoming an Illinois Racing HoF inductee but still raced FALS every weekend.

Every time I go to FALS these days, which is often, it brings back some great memories or my youth. Looked forward to race nights at Fairbury like it was Christmas Eve every Saturday night, especially the race nights during the Fairbury Fair!

Quote Originally Posted by bigq11 View Post
    On second thought, my first could have been the old Mitchell Speedway on SR 37 just north of Mitchell.
    Same here, I'm really not positive that I didn't go to Mitchell first either, the newer track.

The first and second turns were carved out of a bank. No way to go out of the track there. Seems a sprint driver named Miller got killed there one night and it might have put them out of business. Remember?
    Last edited by Clayton_Wetters; 04-21-2020 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigq11 View Post
    Clyde was gonna take me down the road in that 66 car, and I was too chicken to get in it.

1963- the old Newport, Tn fairgrounds racetrack. They were running coupes with flathead engines.

Wilson County Speedway, a dirt track in Wilson North Carolina. My first trip was late 70's.. I was 8 or 9 years old.

Sycamore Speedway in Maple Park, Il. 1968...

Quote Originally Posted by 50Dixon50 View Post
    1998 at i-55 Raceway pevely mo.
    Did Lite Inn and you go together on his lawn tractor?

The old Thunder Valley Speedway in Leesville, S.C. Back in about 1973.
    Last edited by Slideways; 04-21-2020 at 09:22 PM.
    Because Dirt's for Racin'...

Utica rome speedway when it was paved around 1977. My uncle took me there to watch richie evans and I was hooked. A couple yrs later I switched to dirt.

Thumbs up

Southlake Speedway - Crown Point, IN late 1987. (Dirt)
    Kankakee Speedway - Kankakee, IL - 1988. (Dirt)
    Shadyhill Speedway in Medaryville, IN - 1989. (Dirt)
    Plymouth Speedway in Plymouth, IN - 1989. (Asphalt) (Track has been dirt since 2013)
    Santa Fe Speedway on the southwest side of Chicago, IL in 1989. (Dirt)
    Last edited by HoosierDirtFan; 04-21-2020 at 09:44 PM.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - Rumble in Ft Wayne. Indoor Midget show. Sat., 12/30/23
    2023 Season: Tracks 13 & Races 40 & States AL, IL, IN, NC, OH, WI
    Brownstown (IN) 2, Eldora (OH) 3, Fairbury (IL) 9, Grundy County (IL) 1, Kankakee (IL) 7, Kokomo (IN) 2, Lincoln (IL) 1, Shadyhill (IN) 6, Spoon River (IL) 1, Talladega Short Track (AL) 3, The Dirt Track at Charlotte (NC) 3, & Wilmot (WI) 1

Nashville fairgrounds 1988. 8 years old