Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default CIRF-Your Top #3

CIRF, give me your 3 all time and favorite tracks and why. I know it will be a good read for all.

Late Model Mark
    Talladega Short Track Announcer

Quote Originally Posted by Late_Model_Mark View Post
    CIRF, give me your 3 all time and favorite tracks and why. I know it will be a good read for all.

Late Model Mark
    Talladega Short Track Announcer
    #1. The Springfield Mile.

Reason: It's not due to the racing being the best you'll ever see. It's personal reasons. My parents took me to The Mile for the stock car race they run on the last day of the Illinois State Fair when I was 12 years old. My Dad was an avid race fan but, like many dirt track fans, he didn't really enjoy the racing on the bigger tracks. Dad and I have had several in dept conversations about that day at The Mile and he remembers very little, and my Mom recalls even less. On the other hand, I remember nearly every detail about that race. The Mile was, at that point in my life, the biggest track of any kind I'd ever seen and it was the biggest grandstand I'd ever seen or sat in. In addition, there were some drivers that were moderately famous on the national scene in action that day. I was bombarded with sensory overload and in awe of everything I saw at the track that day.

We've seen some incredibly good racing from time to time at The Mile involving both the stock cars and the USAC Silver Crown cars. The past half dozen Silver Crown races on The Mile have been some of the best racing we have witnessed all year with 2017 and 2018 being the best. There were something like a half dozen lead changes in the last 10 miles of the 100 lapper's in both '17 & '18. Very exciting stuff. The young guys these days drive the entire 100 miles like they're in a sprint car doing a 30 lap A-main! Watching Korey Weyant run the cushion to the lead from a 6th row starting spot in the LCQ a couple of years ago was incredible only to have the engine give up after taking the lead with just a hand full of laps to go. Until you've seen a beautiful Silver Crown car run the cushion on a mile track you haven't seen it all!! It is truly spectacular.

All of the above rushes back into my consciousness each and every time we get anywhere near the world famous Springfield Mile. My wife knows my whole nostalgic spiel word for word from so many years of me repeating it to her every year. I'm sure she rolls her eyes when I'm not looking, and rightfully so! LOL!

#2. Fairbury American Legion Speedway

Reason: It's probably obvious to most who have attended a dirt late model race at FALS. It's hands down the best weekly dirt late model track in the country. THAT is not up for debate. My first love was dirt late models and they are still my favorite division. Now, I must say that all three of the national touring divisions of wingless USAC open wheel cars on dirt are tied for a close second. It saddens me that FALS doesn't host more wingless open wheel cars but there has been some bad things that have happened at FALS regarding some of wingless classes that have raced there in the recent past and I've been critical of those things. That is a subject for another time along with the fact that given FALS' inexperience with running open wheel divisions has caused some FALS faithful to be less than supportive of the open wheel divisions. They just don't run the cars without starters and clutches enough to get good at it.

Again, some of my affection for FALS is driven by the fact it was the first track my folks ever took me to. I was very young and those experiences have stayed with me and remain dear to me. Plus, I was involved with a multiple track champion dirt late model team prior to entering matrimonial bliss. That ended the exact same moment we said "I do".

Fairbury is very near the perfect size and configuration for dirt late models. The track prep is 99.9% perfect night in, night out. 3 out of the 5 best dirt late model races that I can recall have been at FALS. We're as comfortable and at home at FALS as we are in our own house. When we attend races at Fairbury we know we're going to see a dozen or more friends and many will be camping at the track and we hang with them, as well. It's home to us. We're so very fortunate to have a track of the caliber of FALS so close to home.

#3. Kokomo Speedway.

Reason: I fell in love with Kokomo a decade ago, give or take. Kokomo is not all that much bigger than Fairbury but it is a LOT faster. As good as FALS is for dirt late models, Kokomo Speedway is just as good for wingless open wheel cars. I never saw Kokomo in it's past configuration but have been told it was pretty good, as well. Kokomo has people who are the absolute best at track prep. I say that with all due respect to Tommy Helfrich down at Haubstadt and the folks at Fairbury.

The banking is perfect and the track configuration seems to be conducive to safe racing in spite of how fast the track is. I've been to places that were scary fast and you held your breath but Kokomo doesn't exude that kind of dread.

Kokomo divisions are primarily wingless sprint cars with midgets thrown in from time to time. The O'Connor's don't load the show down with support classes. They really know how to run a show involving cars without self starting capabilities. Their events are managed and organized in ways that are not time consuming in regards to getting the races pushed off and lined up. Any track, Fairbury being a prime example, should use tracks like Kokomo as a benchmark for organization of push equipment and volume of push equipment. They know how to do it and that translates to Kokomo being the favorite track of a lot of people.

Kokomo is also strict about their schedule for opening the grandstands and putting down blankets. Very well organized and fair. The facilities are top notch and concessions are reasonably priced and of above average quality. They have a very nice camping area and the whole place is impeccably cared for and prepared. We take the camper over to Kokomo for the Indiana Sprint Week event and that is one of the highlights of our whole summer. It's the equivalent to Fairbury's PDC. We know a fair number of people that are there every year which obviously that makes the whole experience even more enjoyable.

But really, it's the racing that separates Kokomo from most all the rest. Kokomo, to me, is to wingless open wheel racing what Fairbury is to dirt late model racing. The best of the best!

Before I finish this novel (LOL!), I would be amiss if I didn't mention a couple of other places that rate very high on our totem pole of race tracks. One being Mighty Macon Speedway in Macon, Illinois. The other being The Belleville High Banks in Belleville, Kansas. Macon has hosted the Herald & Review 100 late model race for nearly 40 years now and I've attended at least 75% of them. Year in and year out that is one of the finest late model races we attend. The H & R 100 doesn't have the notoriety and hype of Fairbury's PDC but for a single night show it's real hard to beat in regards to excitement and quality of racing. The H & R 100 was a stand alone event back in the earlier days and we enjoyed the event much more prior to the adding of 2 or 3 support classes but it's still on or must see list every year due to the quality of racing! The POWRi National Midgets consistently put on a remarkable show at Mighty Macon and we go to at least a couple of those every year. But again, Sarge has a tendency to over-do the support classes which just isn't our cup of tea.

Belleville is special to me because of the shear speed of the place and the configuration. It's almost perfectly round and scary fast. I might have put The High Banks in the top 3 if not for the fact that the memory of Bryan Clauson losing his life there in 2016 has caused the place to lose much of it's appeal. I suspect that anyone who was there and heard and saw the crash feels a bit the same way. It's something I will never get out of my memory for as long as I live.

Thanks for asking, Mark.

Now it's your turn!
    Last edited by CIRF; 04-27-2020 at 09:02 AM.

My pleasure, you know how to describe and get your feelings and thoughts out, I hear the crowd chanting at me to put that thought on Oprah (LOL) but I get it. I knew it would be good.

3 great choices, I hope one day to hit Springfield, I have in my dreams.

LMM

My pleasure, you know how to describe and get your feelings and thoughts out, I hear the crowd chanting at me to put that thought on Oprah (LOL) but I get it. I knew it would be good.

3 great choices, I hope one day to hit Springfield, I have in my dreams.

LMM
    I sincerely appreciate your compliments, Mark. I've been mocked and criticized, justifiably in some instances I might add, for being a long winded gas bag. I really try to allow my passion to shine through for some of the subject matter that my posts deal with and this is one of those times. As is the case with nearly all things it's not always what everyone wants to waste their time reading. I have a healthy respect for what you do and your experiences and I'm truly flattered that you have the least desire to read what I post.

When you make the decision to come to Springfield for the Illinois State Fair racing weekend I would invite you to let me know in advance. The wife and I camp on the fairgrounds and we'd enjoy having you stop by for a beer and some nourishment. In addition, we can possibly give you some advice so as to enhance the whole experience. There are several racing events that are scheduled with the State Fair races being the centerpiece. The POWRi National Midgets race at Lincoln Speedway on the Friday night prior to the Silver Crown race on The Mile on Saturday afternoon and Macon always has a POWRi show on Saturday evening following the race on The Mile. If you see fit you can make a weekend of racing as opposed to doing just The Mile stuff. All three of the events I speak of are less than an hour from each other and can justify a long journey and are well worth the time, effort and cost. In addition to Springfield I would highly recommend the Du Quoin State Fair race weekend. The whole fair racing experience is very similar to Springfield but without the peripheral midget events. The upside of Du Quoin is they run both the USAC Silver Crown race and the ARCA stock cars under the lights which is a different experience. Both are highly desirable in different ways. We camp at Du Quoin so the invite to join us applies to Du Quoin as well as Springfield.
    Last edited by CIRF; 04-27-2020 at 07:31 PM.

CIRF with some great picks. One additional point re: the Springfield Mile is the AMA flat track motorcycle races on Labor Day weekend. Those are a sight to behold. Imagine a Talladega type of pack race between men on bikes doing 140 or so on the straights. WOW!

The 2018 Silver Crown race where the track was juiced up due to rain the day before was the best Crown race I have ever seen there. It was great action.

We are blessed in Illinois to have lots of great to really good tracks. Not a bad one in the bunch. I would also add a shoutout to Jacksonville in addition as a top flight track. A midget show there is a guaranteed great night of racing.

CIRF - I thought of one other oldie at the Mile. Were you there in 1995 (I think) when Kenny Irwin Jr swept the midget & crown race? Was about 100 degrees that day & he won the midget race then hopped in Crown car & started either shotgun on the field or near that & won. Was an impressive day!

Quote Originally Posted by chathamracefan View Post
    CIRF with some great picks. One additional point re: the Springfield Mile is the AMA flat track motorcycle races on Labor Day weekend. Those are a sight to behold. Imagine a Talladega type of pack race between men on bikes doing 140 or so on the straights. WOW!

The 2018 Silver Crown race where the track was juiced up due to rain the day before was the best Crown race I have ever seen there. It was great action.

We are blessed in Illinois to have lots of great to really good tracks. Not a bad one in the bunch. I would also add a shoutout to Jacksonville in addition as a top flight track. A midget show there is a guaranteed great night of racing.
    The AMA motorcycles are numero uno on my list of things to see. There are only two reasons why I haven't seen the MC's at Springfield. The Indy 500 on Memorial Day Weekend and Du Quoin on Labor Day Weekend. I haven't sacrificed either one for the bikes at Springfield, yet, but I will! I've been told by dozens of people that the bikes at The Mile are as good as it gets. Period!

You are SO correct regarding the 2018 Bettenhausen Memorial 100 at The Mile. It was the best race we had the pleasure to attend all that year. Better than The Chili Bowl! Better than the PDC! Better than the Herald & Review 100! Better than the 4 Crown! You are correct in your assessment that it was the best Crown race anyone had ever seen at Springfield. 2016 and 2017 weren't bad either.

crf, as you so aptly point out, Jacksonville is one of the best in Illinois. Personally I would compare J-ville quite favorably to even fabled Fairbury, and that's sayin' somethin'! Actually, I gave serious consideration regarding Jacksonville being in the top 3 and should have given honorable mention to K. Dobson & Co. Kenny Dobson of J-ville is, IMHO, the best dirt track promoter in the state of Illinois, bar none!

Quote Originally Posted by chathamracefan View Post
    CIRF - I thought of one other oldie at the Mile. Were you there in 1995 (I think) when Kenny Irwin Jr swept the midget & crown race? Was about 100 degrees that day & he won the midget race then hopped in Crown car & started either shotgun on the field or near that & won. Was an impressive day!
    crf, I was there that day when Kenny laid it on everyone. Kenny Irwin's performance in those races, especially the 100 miler, was to this day the single most impressive show I personally have ever seen by a driver in a Silver Crown car. Jack Hewitt's record setting run back in 1987, that stands to this day, is a close second and I would rank 3rd the show that Korey Weyant put on in the LCQ in 2018.

crf, Kenny Irwin started 28th in a 30 car starting field for the Bettenhausen Memorial. Kenny drove past the likes of Tony Stewart, Jimmy Sills, Jack Hewitt, Johnny Parsons, Donnie Beechler, Chuck Gurney and Dave Darland among many other great drivers on his way to the win. Took the lead with 3 miles to go. People were looking at each other with stunned amazement. Kenny beat Stewart, Tracy Hines, Johnny Parsons and all the rest to win the midget 25 miler, as well.

Wow!! Great memories.

The AMA flat track motorcycles were almost always spectacular, no matter the venue. A couple of joints they were even beyond spectacular are the old mile at the Ohio State fairgrounds in Columbus for the Charity Newsies event in the middle to late '60s and the Sacramento mile in CA. Had the extreme pleasure of watching both of these places on several occasions.

Ascot's short half mile was always jaw dropping when AMA was there too. In answer to a question I posted a while back on another thread they also were consistently the largest draw at Ascot despite the amazing variety of wheeled vehicles that turned laps there.

Quote Originally Posted by over4T View Post
    The AMA flat track motorcycles were almost always spectacular, no matter the venue. A couple of joints they were even beyond spectacular are the old mile at the Ohio State fairgrounds in Columbus for the Charity Newsies event in the middle to late '60s and the Sacramento mile in CA. Had the extreme pleasure of watching both of these places on several occasions.

Ascot's short half mile was always jaw dropping when AMA was there too. In answer to a question I posted a while back on another thread they also were consistently the largest draw at Ascot despite the amazing variety of wheeled vehicles that turned laps there.
    I just checked the AMA Flat Track schedule and found that Springfield is/was not scheduled to host the motorcycles over Memorial Day Weekend as is usually the case. They are, however, scheduled to be at Springfield over Labor Day Weekend. In the past they have held races at Springfield on both Memorial Day Weekend and Labor Day Weekend.

Over, I don't doubt that the bikes were the largest draw to Ascot. The same is true for Springfield. The bikes draw more spectators to Springfield than both wheeled races combined. I've heard that has always been the case!

I ditto the statement how the AMA bikes at Ascot were stupendous. Roxie Roxwood announcing and it did indeed did draw the biggest crowds of the year except the 1st visit by the WoO and a few other events.

If I was or will go to Springfield it would be for the Silver Crown cars...aw shucks..anything for that matter.

LMM

I ditto the statement how the AMA bikes at Ascot were stupendous. Roxie Roxwood announcing and it did indeed did draw the biggest crowds of the year except the 1st visit by the WoO and a few other events.

If I was or will go to Springfield it would be for the Silver Crown cars...aw shucks..anything for that matter.

LMM
    Given that we attend both the Silver Crown race and the ARCA stock car race every year and have for around 20 years, I would recommend the Silver Crown race. 10 years ago I may have been inclined to endorse the stock cars. No more. The ARCA race draws less than 25 cars (there were 40 Silver Crown cars for the 2018 race at Springfield!) and the only cars that are realistically in contention to win are the NASCAR developmental teams. Billy Venturini brings 4 or 5 top notch cars every year and there are maybe a half dozen more developmental teams. Who wins the ARCA race also depends a lot on pit strategy which isn't my idea of a good show.

Now, on the other hand, the Silver Crown cars need to run all 100 miles without a pit stop to be in contention to win. Clayton Wetters erroneously believes that it takes more equipment and tire management to win the World Hundred than it does to win a 100 miler on the mile dirt tracks but I think he knows better, he just won't admit it, will ya' Clay?! LOL!

Silver Crown hot laps are worth the price of admission all by themselves!

Smokey Yunick once said that the USAC Silver Crown division on a mile dirt track is the last true, undiluted racing in America. He said, you line 'em up run 100 miles without pit stops and see who's the fastest and more importantly who's the smartest! The driver has to be very aware of how much car and right rear he's using up and the fuel burn-off completely changes the handling. It's thinking man's racing, but not always the bang 'em up slam bam show like you'll see on a 1/4 or 1/5 mile track.
    Last edited by CIRF; 04-29-2020 at 09:19 AM.

CIRF - Fairbury & Kokomo are my two favorites aw well. Both tracks only two hours from my house and exactly 119 / 120 miles.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - Rumble in Ft Wayne. Indoor Midget show. Sat., 12/30/23
    2023 Season: Tracks 13 & Races 40 & States AL, IL, IN, NC, OH, WI
    Brownstown (IN) 2, Eldora (OH) 3, Fairbury (IL) 9, Grundy County (IL) 1, Kankakee (IL) 7, Kokomo (IN) 2, Lincoln (IL) 1, Shadyhill (IN) 6, Spoon River (IL) 1, Talladega Short Track (AL) 3, The Dirt Track at Charlotte (NC) 3, & Wilmot (WI) 1

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierDirtFan View Post
    CIRF - Fairbury & Kokomo are my two favorites aw well. Both tracks only two hours from my house and exactly 119 / 120 miles.
    You need to give Jacksonville a try, although it would be substantially further if you're coming from Indiana. I've attended probably 10 events at J-ville over the past 3 seasons and Dobson is a great promoter and the track and facility compare quite favorably to both Fairbury and Kokomo. I personally would rate Kenny Dobson as the best promoter in Illinois (sorry FALS) and maybe one of the best anywhere.

Kokomo is faster than J-ville and isn't quite as favorably suited to full contact late model/mortified racing. But, if you like the slam bang bull ring racing similar to Fairbury J-ville is right up your alley!

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    You need to give Jacksonville a try, although it would be substantially further if you're coming from Indiana. I've attended probably 10 events at J-ville over the past 3 seasons and Dobson is a great promoter and the track and facility compare quite favorably to both Fairbury and Kokomo. I personally would rate Kenny Dobson as the best promoter in Illinois (sorry FALS) and maybe one of the best anywhere.

Kokomo is faster than J-ville and isn't quite as favorably suited to full contact late model/mortified racing. But, if you like the slam bang bull ring racing similar to Fairbury J-ville is right up your alley!
    Jacksonville is already on my bucket list
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - Rumble in Ft Wayne. Indoor Midget show. Sat., 12/30/23
    2023 Season: Tracks 13 & Races 40 & States AL, IL, IN, NC, OH, WI
    Brownstown (IN) 2, Eldora (OH) 3, Fairbury (IL) 9, Grundy County (IL) 1, Kankakee (IL) 7, Kokomo (IN) 2, Lincoln (IL) 1, Shadyhill (IN) 6, Spoon River (IL) 1, Talladega Short Track (AL) 3, The Dirt Track at Charlotte (NC) 3, & Wilmot (WI) 1

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierDirtFan View Post
    Jacksonville is already on my bucket list
    Glad to hear it. If you like Fairbury you'll definitely like Jacksonville.

Kenny Dobson rescued the WAR/IRA show when the fine folks at Fairbury stepped in it big time a couple of years ago. I liked KD before but I really gained a ton of respect and appreciation for him as a result of that whole deal.

Good read. This is why I come here. We need more of this. I enjoy my annual trip to Fairbury so much. I wish it weren't so far away. But for the past 3 years we have made the 7 1/2 trip to watch the PDC. Sadly, I don't think we're going to make it this year with everything that's going on in the world, (if they even have it, is another debate). I've enjoyed Fairbury so much that we've actually looked at houses out that way. If I could somehow swing it, there's no doubt I would be at the speedway every weekend. Enjoyed reading your thoughts, CIRF.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsboro32 View Post
    Good read. This is why I come here. We need more of this. I enjoy my annual trip to Fairbury so much. I wish it weren't so far away. But for the past 3 years we have made the 7 1/2 trip to watch the PDC. Sadly, I don't think we're going to make it this year with everything that's going on in the world, (if they even have it, is another debate). I've enjoyed Fairbury so much that we've actually looked at houses out that way. If I could somehow swing it, there's no doubt I would be at the speedway every weekend. Enjoyed reading your thoughts, CIRF.
    Pennsboro, I sincerely appreciate your kind words. You're 100% correct when you say we need more of this kind of interaction. I admit to being somewhat hypocritical in that I respond with stupidity to ignorance and incendiary remarks directed towards me and often my responses are equally silly and incendiary and do nothing to increase the level of information or enjoyment. Guilty as charged. There seems to be much less silly confrontation in this sprint car section than in some other sections. The perpetrators of that crap don't seem to post here, thankfully!

There is no question that Fairbury is the shining star of bull ring dirt late model racing, maybe in the whole country. Being as close to Fairbury as we are I can tell you for sure that real estate is a fairly good buy value-wise but the downside is real estate taxes are terribly high. The overall problem of living in Illinois is taxes. It's brutal, and real estate taxes are some of the most brutal, even in small rural communities of downstate Illinois. If you could make it work my suggestion would be to look for a place just east of the Illinois-Indiana state line. The state line is just under an hour from Fairbury. Indiana is a MUCH less expensive place to live, plus you would be somewhat centrally located to some very good tracks in addition to Fairbury that we've discussed previously in this thread. You have of course Kokomo, Putnamville, Terre Haute, Paragon, Gas City and Bloomington all within a couple of hours, give or take. Plus, Macon and Kankakee are close enough to be doable from western Indiana, as well.

I too, have thoroughly enjoyed the discussions Over4T and Mark got started. Those guys, along with you Pennsboro, seem to want to exchange ideas and experiences as opposed to wasting time and energy trying to one-up someone with smart assed remarks who has offered a bit different outlook and opinion. Let's try to keep it going and keep it enjoyable!

CIRF, have you ever been to any tracks in West Virginia? If so, which ones? Maybe give a breakdown of those tracks as well if you have the time.

Pennsboro! Whew! Where to start. Yes sir, I've been to your namesake, Pennsboro Speedway, for the DTWC. I've also been to Mineral Wells.

Pennsboro was an experience I love to talk about with folks who've never been there and aren't familiar with it's history and legacy. Over the years we've had lengthy conversations with our Chili Bowl group in January. Those guys and ladies come from all over the country, from New England to the Upper Midwest to Tulsa to Kansas City. They are amazed at the stories we tell of the legendary Pennsboro!

I saw Pennsboro as a huge law suit waiting to happen. The hill across the road from the speedway is always a popular aspect of our Pennsboro stories and I'm sure you know why! The way fans dug into the side of the hill on the main straightaway side of the track. The hill you had to climb to make your way up to the few bleachers they had. The toilets (YEESH). The creek splitting the track in half end to end and how the track was asymmetrical. How they did virtually no track prep the whole weekend after wheel packing and hot laps on day one. I get looks of disbelief from everyone who hasn't seen a race at Pennsboro, especially the guys at The Chili Bowl!

I had my one and only opportunity to date to sample real moonshine in the bleachers at Pennsboro. Crazy Bob, who always wore the dark blue Jack Boggs jacket, sat one row in front of us one year. He offered all of us a pull off of the quart jar numerous times but I always declined. To this day I don't know if that's good or bad!

The racing was better than one might expect. Bloomy put on a show in the alphabet soup races that I've never forgotten but he broke just after he got a transfer spot into the A-main. Freddie Smith won and IIRC Mike Duval led a bunch of that race.

I wouldn't trade our experience at Pennsboro for any other race we've ever attended. I feel fortunate to have experienced "The Magic of Pennsboro"!

The other track at Mineral Wells I believe was known as West Virginia Motor Speedway and was still a 5/8's mile when we were there. I understand they've shortened it to 4/10's since then. It was so cold I don't remember all that much about the place except our struggle to stave off frost bite. I do remember the place was very nice in contrast with Pennsboro. IIRC the seating was cut into a hill and it was a fairly long walk from where we were parked. I don't even remember who won the A-main that night. Our rooms were in Clarksburg for that trip and the car thermometer said it was 34° on our way through the mountains back to our hotel. The place near Mineral Wells was bad fast, too.

The first time we went to West Virginia for the DTWC, etc., we had to leave late in the day due to work obligations. Pennsboro is about 9 hours from home. We didn't have reservations for the first night thinking we'd stay on the road somewhere. We got all the way to Parkersburg and every hotel/motel, and I mean EVERY one we stopped at, was booked solid. So, we started backtracking. We tried every hotel from the sleaziest, bed bug infested joint to the Hilton's and Hyatt's and could find nothing between Parkersburg and Zanesville, Ohio. We had backtracked all the way to Zanesville, Ohio and we found a Holiday Inn that had just one room with a single king size bed. By this time it was 3 AM and we're dead tired. There was 3 couples and we all piled into one room but were ecstatic to even find a room! We all say to this day it was the best money we ever spent for 3 hours of sleep! Had this particular Holiday Inn not had a room we were so tired that we were going to try to get a little sleep in the van!

Other than those two tracks we've not attended any other racing events in the state of West Virginia. What we saw of WV it is a beautiful state. I've been to Morgantown on business a time or two and always wanted to attend a Mountaineers football game but never have pulled that one off.....yet.

Awesome stuff again CIRF. West Virginia is truly a beautiful state, especially in the fall. The drive from Pennsboro to Parkersburg in the fall is fascinating, the many colors of the autumn trees. I love hearing those Pennsboro stories. I pass the ol track on the way to work every day. I grew up down Bunnells Run Road across the highway from the Speedway about a mile. Wish I could watch just one more race there.