Default short shaft right front

Has anyone played with running short shaft right front shocks??? I have noticed guys running short shocks that might be just a tad longer than ride height,what may the purpose for this be???....and yes I said right not left!!!!

We run short body rf shocks this is pretty much the standard now basically a 6"body with a 7" shaft the reason is more room for the bump setup. Don't really know of anything shorter

As Jking said, it gives you more travel before the bump. Depending on your chassis pin to pin, it may be necessary, nice to have, or not needed.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I concur with all comments made, and it's usually toward short body long shaft.... when needed, not the other way Brett4.
    Last edited by CCHIEF; 05-05-2020 at 10:57 AM.

Can you run on a high dollar gas shock valved for the RF and run oil shocks on the rest of the car. I'm talking budget stuff here... I have one Ohlin piggy back 7" and Afcos for the rest of the car.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    Can you run on a high dollar gas shock valved for the RF and run oil shocks on the rest of the car. I'm talking budget stuff here... I have one Ohlin piggy back 7" and Afcos for the rest of the car.
    I did a test with a top team's normal shocks vs a set of twin tubes valved roughly the same and you really had to try to see a difference on the clock. Lap times always very some but if you where pro-gas shocks you could argue there might have been between .05 and .08 difference and if you where pro-twin tube you could argue there really wasn't a difference.

*Note: The runs where short runs and not 10 laps at a time so, it could end up that when the twin tube got hot it might/would fade on valving more and slow down or speed up. Twins was only installed on RF, LF, LR-Behind, RR. Still used the T/A and LR front gas shocks.

i agree billet , and krooser , there is speed in that LR front gas shock to work with that rt front , as far as lf and rt rear , i never could tell much difference in oil and gas......my 2C.....

Great....thanks
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

I actually prefer the feel of a twin tube over a canister. In my opinion the comfort of a driver can be worth more than anything else. Not to say your gonna bolt a out of the box afco 3-7 on and win races. but on a Friday night at your local limited race if you had a set valved appropriately in comfident 90%of the time it wouldn't be holding you back. The average limited race doesent run more than 6-10 laps without a caution so overheating the shock isn't a big concern. The big issue now days is getting a good guy to work on them. Most of the good guys in the business have manufacturer alliances and that makes it tuff but their are some good guys out their that can get you going decent on just about anything

guys that are not allowed to run bump stops are running short shocks on right front just like the left front for some reason....it is really easy to see on mods when they are in the air