Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by HIGH ROLLER View Post
    Josh do you know who might be coming? I know its top 10 or so in points from different areas.
    https://www.facebook.com/10875039252...985773594/?d=n
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

I saw recently that they're starting a Big Block series down here in the Ark-La-Tex.

https://www.facebook.com/SouthernSuperModifieds/

They're supposed to have a show at Diamond Park Speedway on June 6th. Probably won't go,but it does intrigue me.
    Diamond Park has an awesome surface,and it's fast. When it's tacky,it's crazy fast. It's been about a groove and half track for many years,but it's so wide and smooth. Would be interesting to see if this series could put on a good show.

The series is supposed to have commitments from Northern drivers as well. Incidentally,they're trying to start a Super Late Model series also.

As for Brasstown,I've been throught that area twice the last time being last Summer. Stunningly beautiful area! My wife and I took Hwy 74 throught the mountains to Asheville,and it was incredible.
    Formerly 66#1

Quote Originally Posted by AllenK View Post
    I saw recently that they're starting a Big Block series down here in the Ark-La-Tex.

https://www.facebook.com/SouthernSuperModifieds/

They're supposed to have a show at Diamond Park Speedway on June 6th. Probably won't go,but it does intrigue me.
    Diamond Park has an awesome surface,and it's fast. When it's tacky,it's crazy fast. It's been about a groove and half track for many years,but it's so wide and smooth. Would be interesting to see if this series could put on a good show.

The series is supposed to have commitments from Northern drivers as well. Incidentally,they're trying to start a Super Late Model series also.

As for Brasstown,I've been throught that area twice the last time being last Summer. Stunningly beautiful area! My wife and I took Hwy 74 throught the mountains to Asheville,and it was incredible.
    Hasn't there been a group of winged big block racers in Louisiana for a long time?

They've now added a third date to the weekend... Cherokee on May 23. A 3 race (so far) weekend for Northeast Modifieds is happening in Louisiana the next weekend with a $10,000 to win event at Chatham Raceway. Lots of interest and should be good competitive fields all around!

That list is just drivers that were invited doesnt mean they will come. Thats a big jaunt to come from parts of ny. Since theres no racing in ny & pa there might b good chance most will come.

Quote Originally Posted by jr29 View Post
    Hasn't there been a group of winged big block racers in Louisiana for a long time?
    From what I've seen and read,the class was huge back in the day. The Ingalls family and Gary Wright of Sprint Car fame along with others such as the late Ronnie Adams drove them in the 70's and 80's. Doug Ingalls even won a couple of Speedweeks races down in Florida back in the day. When I first started going back to the dirt track in the 90's,there was a winged modified class that ran mostly in Texas and Louisiana. They were the "skinny" type bodies more like a Sprint versus the Northeast style of mods. There seems to be a movement back towards the Northeast style down there for the last few years.
    Formerly 66#1

Quote Originally Posted by HIGH ROLLER View Post
    That list is just drivers that were invited doesnt mean they will come. Thats a big jaunt to come from parts of ny. Since theres no racing in ny & pa there might b good chance most will come.
    Those are the ones that told the series they care coming. 19 of the original 30 invited said they were coming and they did a draw for the rest. There's 31 because 2 teams are coming in 1 rig

Quote Originally Posted by AllenK View Post
    From what I've seen and read,the class was huge back in the day. The Ingalls family and Gary Wright of Sprint Car fame along with others such as the late Ronnie Adams drove them in the 70's and 80's. Doug Ingalls even won a couple of Speedweeks races down in Florida back in the day. When I first started going back to the dirt track in the 90's,there was a winged modified class that ran mostly in Texas and Louisiana. They were the "skinny" type bodies more like a Sprint versus the Northeast style of mods. There seems to be a movement back towards the Northeast style down there for the last few years.
    Ok. I believe they ran those in Wisconsin for a long time too.

Quote Originally Posted by jr29 View Post
    Yes, but the wings aren’t a part of this newer series. The newer group is more in line with the northeastern rules.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by Dlmfan123 View Post
    Those are the ones that told the series they care coming. 19 of the original 30 invited said they were coming and they did a draw for the rest. There's 31 because 2 teams are coming in 1 rig

Ok thanks Dlm & josh for the info

Looks like the bad weather will win this one. Cherokee race looks good to go.

For those BB mod fans heres your feature line up for tonight

Tonight’s STSS #ReturnToRacing Feature lineup for $3,000 to win

R1: 96-Pauch Jr / 5*-Siri
    R2: 12x-Groover / 99l-Wight
    R3: 27j-D. Johnson / 16x-Creeden
    R4: 55-Ricci / 44f-S. Friesen
    R5: 44-Perrego / 88c-Umbenhauer
    R6: 51-Pratt Jr / 9s-Sheppard
    R7: 91-Decker / 126-Strunk
    R8: 2-Van Pelt / 1-Dippel
    R9: 84y-Yankowski / 14j-A. Johnson
    R10: 7mm-Maresca / 25-Rudolph
    R11: 97t-Tyler / 15-Tonkin
    R12: 21a-Britten / 6-Bouc
    R13: 4-Bachetti / 20-Schilling
    R14: 46-Smith / 85-Bunting
    R15: 6h-Hurlburt / 1z-J. Friesen

6c-Delea OUT

Top 5 finish

S Friesen
    Wight
    Pauch jr
    D johnson
    Bachetti

Tri-County @ShortTrackSS Fin - 1. Friesen 2. Wight 3. Pauch Jr 4. D Johnson 5. Bachetti 6. Decker 7. Siri 8. Yankowski 9. Creeden 10. Tyler 11. Tonkin 12. Umbenhauer 13. Hurlbert DNF 14. Maresca 15. A Johnson 16. Ricci 17. Bouc 18. Schilling 19. Perrego 20. Groover. 21. Strunk 22. Pratt Jr 23. Van Pelt 24. Dippel 25. Rudolph 26. Bunting 27. Sheppard 28. Britten DNS 29. J Friesen 30. Smith

Pretty wild feature with a lot of beat up race cars. Stewart Friesen spun out lap 2 and collected at least 4 cars but drove away...came back to win it after finding the top. Billy Pauch Jr. was the car to beat but didn't have anything at the end. Ignition trouble he said. Hopefully more of the usual contenders can have a better run tonight.

The late Doug Fort, builder of Santa Maria Speedway in California and its' promoter for decades, and Pete Van Iderstine, a well known NE Modified owner and transplant to CA got together in the '70s to bring them to the west.

They bought a few of the cars from the east coast and brought them out here to get the class going. They tried for several years to build the class but, unfortunately, they just never caught on out here and eventually were dropped. I loved the BB Mods as the only times we got to see them was on trips to Florida Speedweeks or the NY area, which were infrequent at best.

I'm glad to see them starting up in other areas of the country and only wish the left coast could try them again and get rid of a couple of the endless classes of Sprint cars we have out here. Just a dream as I don't see that ever happening.