Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by fryefan View Post
    I do not associate with either party, but to be fair, there are several states that have republican governors that have similar restrictions.
    I was speaking more to the posts implied liberal agenda , governors being power hungry and not caring about its constituents.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Fans allowed at Boyd’s this Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by GEAR_HEAD View Post
    Governor Wolf in PA just said he's declaring war on all business owners because they are selfish for wanting to feed their families. He said the State Senators (many of whom are veterans) are cowards for helping to fight for their citizen's freedoms. You can't make this stuff up! Some of the DA's in central PA counties like where Port Royal is said they're not prosecuting businesses for opening, so maybe there's some hope out that way.
    Governor Wolf has lost control over the state. Most counties have already said they’re not going to prosecute people for opening their businesses.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

WV is reopening motorsports on May 21 without spectators, but there's no limit on crew members. So technically tracks could sell an unlimited number of pit passes and we can all claim to be crew members. It also didn't mention anything about social distancing in the pits.

Put Oregon on the dead list of states that stand a slim-to-none chance of racing this season. Kate Brown, the Guv, says no to any crowd gatherings for the forseeable future. Yes, she's a Democrat but I don't think that has a thing to do with it.
    We're sorry to hear about it as our Tri State ProStock Challenge Tour had some shows scheduled up there at Coos Bay and Southern Oregon. Oregon is the only place on the left coast where Dirt Late Models still run with strong regular shows at Willamette and stops at Sunset, Cottage Grove, Coos Bay and a couple of others. This season really sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by GEAR_HEAD View Post
    WV is reopening motorsports on May 21 without spectators, but there's no limit on crew members. So technically tracks could sell an unlimited number of pit passes and we can all claim to be crew members. It also didn't mention anything about social distancing in the pits.
    If everything goes well with that, I could see racing with fans 3-4 weeks after that I hope.

My town was doing great til some college kids that live off campus got together for a big gathering and now 8 of them have the virus. So its still out their and going around. The governor is hinted around of canceling both state fairs and the local pools are closed and July 4th activities and fireworks canceled. Even the big fireworks show in East Peoria/Peoria have been canceled. The Big decatur celebration in August has been canceled to. So ive lost hope on any racing in Illinios.

Seems a bit much to close an entire state when 80-90% of the cases are in one metropolitan area.

In nc our gov opened up for phase 1 and now we have had the highest cv19 cases as of monday.

Quote Originally Posted by HIGH ROLLER View Post
    In nc our gov opened up for phase 1 and now we have had the highest cv19 cases as of monday.
    Is it high enough to matter? Are your hospitals in danger of exceeding capacity?
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by B_K View Post
    Seems a bit much to close an entire state when 80-90% of the cases are in one metropolitan area.
    Exactly..........

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Is it high enough to matter? Are your hospitals in danger of exceeding capacity?
    Idk i dont go around w any protection only just wash hands. Ik where your going w this and im not going debate over it w you. My problem is they were to open up phase 1 when cases leveled off and they wernt leveled off. I think alot of people in US have had this virus by the way it effect people differently.

Idk i dont go around w any protection only just wash hands. Ik where your going w this and im not going debate over it w you. My problem is they were to open up phase 1 when cases leveled off and they wernt leveled off. I think alot of people in US have had this virus by the way it effect people differently.
    We're not allowed to enter any store without face coverings where I live. Not a option.
    8/13/16

Quote Originally Posted by t4g2 View Post
    My town was doing great til some college kids that live off campus got together for a big gathering and now 8 of them have the virus. So its still out their and going around. The governor is hinted around of canceling both state fairs and the local pools are closed and July 4th activities and fireworks canceled. Even the big fireworks show in East Peoria/Peoria have been canceled. The Big decatur celebration in August has been canceled to. So ive lost hope on any racing in Illinios.
    t4g2, governor fat ass has all but cancelled both state fairs. He is quoted as saying it's "highly unlikely" that either the Illinois State Fair or the Du Quoin State Fair will happen in 2020.

I'm going to copy and paste a lengthy reply that appeared on another racing message board. Kenny Dobson, the author, is the promoter at Jacksonville Speedway and universally regarded as one of the best promoters in Illinois, if not THE best. This is in response to being asked to weigh in on the virus situation as it pertains to dirt racing from a race promoter's perspective. Kenny is a straight shooter and he's not known to BS. There is plenty of room for optimism in his words. I'll let ya'll decide for yourselves what to make of Kenny's reply.

May 11, 2020

I'm going to stay out of the right/wrong politics part and going to try to just speak for our situation at Jacksonville. Know that many of the Illinois track promoters communicate regularly and have been working together in both our strategy, lobbying and brainstorming. I'd rather not name names or the way it's being done, but suffice it to say that other promoters have created a system of regular contact and sharing of information over here in Illinois that should be a good thing in handling not only the present challenges, but those we as tracks are likely to face in future years as the State looks for additional revenue sources. Although I doubt he replies, know that Bob is a big part of that engagement.

Each venue has its own line of communication to State officials at varying levels and of different parties. We have been trying to harness those to have a coherent voice to all of those channels. Those contacts extend to the highest reaches of the Administration, and I'm comfortable that those doing the communicating are being heard. What comes of being heard is another story. It will likely be an evolution, but arming those folks with facts can do nothing but move our industry closer to opening than doing nothing.

We at Jacksonville continue to assist in those efforts, but each track has very unique circumstances on how hard/far they wish to push. Several track promoters in Illinois rely on the sport to put food on the table. They are the ones that are forced to make the hardest decisions and rightfully need to be as aggressive as possible. Others, like us, have less personal pressure to make something happen due our racing business being a little more hobby and a little less business. Being a fairgrounds track with a cooperative fair board when it comes to rent at times like this helps as well. There's also some truth to the fact that I've been dealing with these same issues in my day job in trying to keep 16 retail stores in Illinois open - and that's what puts the food on my table and to an extent has needed my primary 24/7 attention during this craziness.

In Jacksonville, like other towns, we have our own unique circumstances. Our Mayor is a personal best friend and great supporter of the race track that has to go out on limbs to support us even during normal times. During our last Outlaw show we were watching together and suddenly he was taking calls as to why there was a race on a Wednesday night during the school year from some neighbors. While we have great community support, in years past the race track has at times become a political issue the neighbors want to raise. We've worked hard in recent years to be good citizens with a 'community first' attitude hoping even the naysayers will see us helping an organization they support or finding some good coming out of the fact there is noise on Fridays.

I mention that because Jacksonville is also a town that is uniquely dependent on the State of Illinois for jobs. Our little town has a State Prison, the Illinois School for the Deaf, Illinois School for the Visually Impaired, a Community College branch, a big empty State Hospital grounds the State needs to do something with etc. My personal belief and the sound public policy belief of those in our town is that the Administration is likely keeping score on which communities "go rogue". Being a firm historically Republican area that relies so heavily on State resources during a Democratic administration that has a "cause" puts us in a tough spot. So far our Mayor and officials have tried to play by the rules for the most part - and we've elected not to step outside of the box given all of the above.

Personally, I think the Governor is in a position where in the near future he's going to have to create windows for more activity - even if not a full retreat and waiving of the white flag. But I also believe that we won't see people sitting shoulder to shoulder in our grandstand until we've seen it happen at bigger venues with more political/economic pull than a little race track. I'm very interested to see where things go with College Football, Wrigley Field etc. over the coming weeks.

There are certainly some tracks in Illinois that can have a viable event with social distancing in their grandstands. I expect/hope that they will have that opportunity within a month or two. We are a small venue and would have to get very creative to have significant events with social distancing requirements. So while we work with and pull for the other tracks in Illinois to have opportunities to open the doors for events and fans ASAP, we know that our timeline is going to be slightly behind theirs - although not too far. We still fully expect to have events this year at Jacksonville one way or another. We just aren't sure what the rules will be when we do it.

Finally, there's a major sponsorship component to all of this that I'm sure the racers are feeling as well. All tracks do it differently, but I try to wait and invoice sponsorships really close to our opening day - otherwise I have a tendency to piss some of it away on non-essential stuff if I see the bank account balance healthy in the winter. This stuff all happened when we were just sending out invoices - which creates another hill to take into account. That won't slow us down, but does figure into the math on what you can blow on an experiment.

Sorry to be so long. I hit the Quick Reply button, but it didn't keep this quick. I'm optimistic and planning to race and watch races in Illinois in the coming months. I think we will see some in Illinois in June somehow. I hope that by July Jacksonville and the rest can join in. Of course this is going to take some changes to the Governor's existing 5 stage plan - but I'm confident that can/will happen with communication and advocacy. You'll notice the Governor recently keeps talking about how this can all end with a treatment - which he doesn't define. If the death rate falls through better treatment/management he can declare victory and let us move on even if we aren't all the way to zero. I see him taking that escape route at some point if his plan sets us measurably behind similar states and becomes politically unbearable.

And please dont' tell your promoters to "Grow A Set". They have a set. They might just have reasons to be a little more selective about when to use them.

I live in NC as well, percentage wise it is the same (positive tests divided by tests given. They greatly increased the number of tests given....

Quote Originally Posted by t4g2 View Post
    Getting the virus is a good thing unless it ends up being a hospitalization. Especially for college kids, it will allow them to develop antibodies to it and become immune. People need to stop acting like getting it is a bad thing if you're healthy. It's like getting the flu, 99.95% survive. In PA 2/3 of the deaths are in nursing homes and the average age of Covid deaths is 79 and almost all had underlying conditions.

So... just trying to figure this one out. I live in North Georgia. Boyd's speedway (Mostly in the state of GA) has already held 2 fanless races, and is supposed to have one this weekend, with fans.

Also, of course the fanless race (I think they've had 2 now?) at Senoia

However, Dixie Speedway, which is just like 70-80 miles away from either track "had" to postpone 2 events already, and states they are not allowed to open until at least May 31, due to Gov. Kemp's executive order extending the shut down for "live event venues" and they are considered a live event venue.

So how does that work?

Gear Head My point is this was a small gathering it still is spreading and once you get 20,000 people together that will spread even more. As i already had it back In January as the doctor put it as a severe sinus infection. But as they call what doctors do is "practice".
    Last edited by t4g2; 05-13-2020 at 03:06 PM.

Dem governors are enjoying their power and will use it again in the future. That is who they are. Yet for some reason clueless people continued to elect them. It will surprise me if DLMR happens in any Dem run state until some time next year. The moron running Illinois has shut down Churches for the next year. Attack on Separation of Church and State. No surprise

I think the math on what to do has changed as the actual mortality has become better understood. I sensed you had a problem with the opening. Just curious why.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1