Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

most people that just visit what they know or only where their parents brought them as kids have no idea of its hidden beauty when you get away from the main attractions , shows, putt putts etc..........and for the folks that live there, that's a good thing.

The track sits about 5 miles inland from the beach in what now is a very bustling suburb of Myrtle beach proper......
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Neat track. Pretty big with worn out asphalt, saw some pretty good races there with the Whelen Modified tour, the CARS tour and the old Hooters Cup Series. Hate to see it go.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post
    And people are buying them to move in, not to rent......I see that trend doing nothing but continuing with the mass exodus from folks in the northeast heading south.
    Yeah man same in Va Beach seems like probably every other person in town is from Taxachusetts. If there wasn't already a South Boston, Virginia I would think I lived in "South Boston". It's a very unfortunate circumstance for the area. That's how you get governors that well do things that Northam does.....
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Shovel on a little more coal, then when we cross white oak mountain, watch 97 roll!

The problem is the gall dang motors.

Retired - Snowbird ... Living the Dream

Most excellent rant and so true here in the Carolinas

A'int gonna be closed........It's being demolished.

WOW, a thread this long about a track that isn't a dirt track. If they would have just covered it with dirt it would still be thriving. Boobie bars, during bike week, never been to one.

I think the track was thriving and it did not matter. Developers won in the end.

Money and lawyers always seem to win out. I don't know how long I-30 Speedway will/can hang on here in Arkansas. The land it's on has to be worth a fortune,and the suburbs around it just keep on expanding. I have friends who live nearby who cry about the noise,but the track was there first. It's existence is not a secret at all.

It's a shame that a track like Myrtle Beach that has such a history is going to be demolished and something cookie-cutter put in it's place. My wife,being a huge fan of the group Alabama,always wanted to go to Myrtle Beach to visit their theatre,Peaches Corner,and The Bowery where they got their start. That turned out to be the only vacation where I was actually ready to come home. There was a lot we enjoyed,but overall it sucked including the only time we've ever had a motel room broken into. It was one thing after another. I apologize to anyone from there or South Carolina because my wife and I have had some great times in that state otherwise. We won't be going back to MB anytime soon
    Formerly 66#1

Downtown Myrtle is an absolute mess. Sad but true.

I wonder who got the grandstands, heard Cherokee was looking.

The owners reinvested in Florence Speedway, about an hour inland.

Myrtle is the beach for the masses, and whatever kind of beach you like you can find it in SC.

Yeah but downtown Myrtle needs cleaning up.

We just visited Myrtle Beach for the first time in 2019. Stayed at Oceans 22. We enjoyed it, did The Smokies this year, going back and staying at the Enclave next year, already booked. Then back to the Smokies the following year.

Of course it’s a tourist town, they all get ruined to an extent. But you learn after a visit or two where to go and not go.

Do not go to/tips:
    1.)Piggly Wiggly
    2.)Off the main spots, can be real sketchy right now.
    3.)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) junkies are sadly everywhere, right on the Boardwalk at 2 in the afternoon.
    4.)Hit the tourist traps once, then just chill at the beach and go to cool places away from everyone else.
    5.)Kayaking is cool, we will do it every time most likely.

So I guess I don’t get the hate for it. Helluva a lot cheaper than Disney, or Hawaii or the Bahamas.

Wicked Tuna on Pier 2 is great, great addition to the Boardwalk. Enjoy it. It’s vacation
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    Yeah but downtown Myrtle needs cleaning up.
    I think they will. Main thing I noticed was the druggies. But every town has that that’s bigger sadly.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post
    If you own a business designed solely around tourism then you would be correct right now about the business itself....as for property values etc., they haven't dropped a bit and in fact according to some of my friends in the real estate market property values look to increase because of the demand from people moving in to get away from the big cities up north.

It's all speculation , but they are normally pretty good advisors to us on real estate matters.

I rode through there yesterday and was pleased to see it reasonably opening back up with a little extra traffic on the roads and a bunch of out of state plates......don't believe everything you see on the news.
    Once I retire, we have discussed moving down that way. But in my occupation, it’ll have to be once I’m retired.

Quote Originally Posted by AllenK View Post
    Money and lawyers always seem to win out. I don't know how long I-30 Speedway will/can hang on here in Arkansas. The land it's on has to be worth a fortune,and the suburbs around it just keep on expanding. I have friends who live nearby who cry about the noise,but the track was there first. It's existence is not a secret at all.

It's a shame that a track like Myrtle Beach that has such a history is going to be demolished and something cookie-cutter put in it's place. My wife,being a huge fan of the group Alabama,always wanted to go to Myrtle Beach to visit their theatre,Peaches Corner,and The Bowery where they got their start. That turned out to be the only vacation where I was actually ready to come home. There was a lot we enjoyed,but overall it sucked including the only time we've ever had a motel room broken into. It was one thing after another. I apologize to anyone from there or South Carolina because my wife and I have had some great times in that state otherwise. We won't be going back to MB anytime soon
    Where’d you stay? The newer nice places ocean front aren’t sketchy.

Now it surely doesn’t mean you don’t be alert. I’ve seen some sad news articles about people getting jacked up over nothing.