Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear oversteer

Default Rear oversteer

As some setups are now calling for 0-1/2 inch of rear stagger, have we reached the maximum?

Another interesting topic. A Kryptonite looks to have 2" more than an xr1. If your car doesn't settle on corner entry, do you have steer?
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

my thoughts are with MB racer.....

maybe not the maximum , but with the rear steer these new cars can gain , there is not as much stagger needed , there are 3 cars that i personally know and none are over 1 inch stagger , 3 different chassis and on a given night , any of the three can win , stagger was critical 15 years ago and still is to an extent , just dont take near as much , which definitely helps straightaway speed , JMO.......

we've ran and won with it all over the place 5" all the way down to zero. I don't think theirs any magic their its just another variable effecting the overall handling. The main reason we got away from ruining more was tire wear on long runs especially in open motor stuff

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Another interesting topic. A Kryptonite looks to have 2" more than an xr1. If your car doesn't settle on corner entry, do you have steer?
    One of my buddies ran 2nd in a recent big race in an xr1. Shinnston said to run 0-1/2 inch!

He had 1/2!

How are guys going about getting that little stagger? Run a 90 (or 28.5) on the RR?

Even if the LR never moves from full hike position all the way around the track, the steer is changing way more then most people would know.

I'll leave it at that

How much more steer are the rockets running opposed from years past?

Are you talking 1/2" in roll out or in diameter? Roll out, a 1/2" is only .159" in diameter, which is not much LOL.

We just ran our new car and i started with 1" roll out, and it turned better then any car we have had, and i couldn't believe it really, i am old and stuck in the past LOL but with these new load numbers and droop loads its a whole new game i guess.

Which begs the next question, how do you tighten it up more, say when it slicks off big time ? zero stagger, reverse stagger, and taking out lead or trail?
    Last edited by Kromulous; 05-18-2020 at 07:42 AM.

Just say no...

Another thing CJ Rayburn talked about this in his recent DoD interview, on how in the old days they ran without a lot of rear steer and turned the car with the front end. His claim was the feature times are not any faster, which i am not sure about, but it seems like the track times on a racey track are feaster, but is that due to more HP with modern engines. Something to ponder i guess.

Just say no...

Quote Originally Posted by Kromulous View Post
    Another thing CJ Rayburn talked about this in his recent DoD interview, on how in the old days they ran without a lot of rear steer and turned the car with the front end. His claim was the feature times are not any faster, which i am not sure about, but it seems like the track times on a racey track are feaster, but is that due to more HP with modern engines. Something to ponder i guess.
    Poor CJ is all wet. They are wayyyy faster in the feature. The cars are at least a half second faster at Eldora than 10 years ago even though they run on the wrong rubber by rules.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Poor CJ is all wet. They are wayyyy faster in the feature. The cars are at least a half second faster at Eldora than 10 years ago even though they run on the wrong rubber by rules.
    Agreed with regards to cj theirs alot of comparisons he makes that aren't apples to apples. In regards to the stagger theirs more Than one way to skin a cat. You can put a much stagger as you want in within reason of course and i can still make your stuff dumptruck tight. I new a very successful racer years ago that swore you only adjust stagger for the size and shape of the race track. He says the shadow and banking of the corner isn't changing why does the stagger need to. You could argue this from several angles but bottom line is they won alot of races in their time running the same stagger weather it was hammer down or dryslick and this was at a track that can be either way depending on prep that week

I talked to a guy, famous racer, said that is all he ever wanted to change. Adjust stagger, and that is it !

Unless it was wholesale lost, according to him, he would adjust stagger to what he wanted tight or loser and go.

I guess its all in what your used too.

Myself i have come to find wheel spacers are very helpful, but i do tend to agree with the set stagger for a given track but do adjust stagger here and there LOL

Just say no...

As for CJ i thought i would just throw that out there, its a point of view. CJ i think tends to be nostalgic about the past, understandable from a guy that is in his 80's and race all his life just about.

The new max rear steer set ups, from what i see helps get the car into the corner a lot faster. Just a slight let up in "holding' the car straight and your set in, and back all over the fuel, if the car is right. Seems like the old cars you had to roll the car in more. Anyway, thats just my observations.

Just say no...

and thats where cj fell behind , those old cars had no where near the dynamic rear steer the ones do today , i think rusty was trying to help him but cj was just to old and stuck in his ways to continue ,

Last season myself and my teamate both tried low stagger setups all year (less than 1" most of the time). We fought tight cars that would not turn in properly all year. We run only on small 3/8 paperclip tracks, stop and go. The more stagger we added near the end of the year the better the cars were (1 3/4" was the most we ran). Is it possible that low stagger will not work on this type of track? Lots of bar changes according to the chassis builder to try to get it to turn as well to no avail.

We just ran our new car and i started with 1" roll out, and it turned better then any car we have had, and i couldn't believe it really, i am old and stuck in the past LOL but with these new load numbers and droop loads its a whole new game i guess.
    Krom, I thought you was getting out and went mod racing? Not the case?

Quote Originally Posted by bcarrot28 View Post
    Last season myself and my teamate both tried low stagger setups all year (less than 1" most of the time). We fought tight cars that would not turn in properly all year. We run only on small 3/8 paperclip tracks, stop and go. The more stagger we added near the end of the year the better the cars were (1 3/4" was the most we ran). Is it possible that low stagger will not work on this type of track? Lots of bar changes according to the chassis builder to try to get it to turn as well to no avail.
    It has a lot to do with driving style, IMO more then track style. Honestly a guy could make a really good argument that a paperclip/stop and go track would be the track that would like the least amount of stagger over other tracks.

I would guess you drive straighter then average or less not really crossed up, thus don't prefer small stagger ranges.

Never been a fan of the really low stagger's myself but doesn't mean it's right or wrong, do what works for you.

That is true Billet, but i still like to talk SLMs if you all dont mind. Plus i still help here and there on other cars.

Also from what i am seeing so far, with these new Mods the set ups are virtually the same. Car weighs more, but the loads and stuff are close. We are running a zero index LR deal, heavy cage, and axle, with 300 lbs droop load currently.

I wanted to hang on another year in the Supers, but not in the cards but i am still buying lotto tickets LOL !

Just say no...