Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Touring guys engines

Are any of the top touring teams running ls based engines?

Shirley or Marler runs mullins. Heard Pierce picked up one from pro power last year and schlenk has/had mullins and won with it late last year.

Don't forget Baldwin I think it is that's big into ls as well

Wiess,pl Williams, rettig and babb have them. I don't think they all run them all the time but they have them

I haven't seen anything impressive from the Baldwin stuff and they advertise ridiculously high numbers. Stovall ran one not a Baldwin but a ls all of last year and to my knowledge is still running it. Mullins is still developing the touring package. I saw wies take delivery of his at the world. I suspect it may have went somewhere for a little r&d because another word has ever been said about it. i thought i heard them reference cornett when talking about pl car recently

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    I haven't seen anything impressive from the Baldwin stuff and they advertise ridiculously high numbers. Stovall ran one not a Baldwin but a ls all of last year and to my knowledge is still running it. Mullins is still developing the touring package. I saw wies take delivery of his at the world. I suspect it may have went somewhere for a little r&d because another word has ever been said about it. i thought i heard them reference cornett when talking about pl car recently
    Pl ran one at Senoia a couple weeks ago and won earlier this year with it. Joey ran it at Wolrd finals last year

Shirley runs Durham,babb runs Mullins ls dont think they will keep up with durhams

Babb runs ls part time from what I was told,Clements primarily

Quote Originally Posted by stewart fan View Post
    Babb runs ls part time from what I was told,Clements primarily
    Yes he had a mullins at the dome

i guess im one of the few ls skeptics but im sure theyre fine at the bullrings but until they can run with the wide bores and ry45 at knoxville or eldora im not much of a believer

Don't know much about the LS package engines, but aren't they like $25,000 for a complete motor vs $50,000 or more for RY45 type engines?

Quote Originally Posted by BTExpress View Post
    Don't know much about the LS package engines, but aren't they like $25,000 for a complete motor vs $50,000 or more for RY45 type engines?
    Yes. I don't think there are that many guys running the ry45 now. I think it's more d3

Do some homework riddle. I've recent months been looking into more and their studs. They say stock bottom end will hold 800hp and the rpm do to design. The heads stock are big flowing 360cfm. They took the best of everyone and combined into one piece

Quote Originally Posted by Jim11h View Post
    Do some homework riddle. I've recent months been looking into more and their studs. They say stock bottom end will hold 800hp and the rpm do to design. The heads stock are big flowing 360cfm. They took the best of everyone and combined into one piece
    the stock head do not flow 360 but they are good and will get their eventually. I think Their aren't many big names running them yet because none of the major engine guys have started messing with them yet. Also i think a few have a bad taste in their mouth for them from a few years ago well like ten years ago when a few were given to bloomquist and a few others to test/ race and they were boat abhors. Mullins is the first bigger name to really start developing one and he's making headway fast. Plw seems like he's got plenty of pedal and the night overton had one in and won before he left rum runner it looked good.
    Last edited by Jking24; 05-21-2020 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim11h View Post
    And it's got a taller deck height so you can squeeze 450+ inches out of a factory LS7 block that only costs $3500 brand new. Get a tall deck block from RHS and 495 inches is possible. These things are dominant in drag racing and it's only a matter of time before they're winning every checkered flag in the country except Lucas and WoO, from street stock to local late model. They're winning asphalt late model races already despite being handicapped cubic inches.

My thinking is the only reason they aren't right now is the rules mostly require a distributor which you can't do without getting that conversion kit from GMPP (I think that's who sells it). That costs like $650.

Now I don't know for sure because we've only done small blocks and MOPARs but I hear that the LS has oiling issues that need attention. Some guy I know wants me to put together a steel block LS motor for drag racing when we get home so I'll find out for sure then and he wants to jam a LOT of boost down it's throat so we'll see exactly how strong the bottom end is. Although it's been done to death it's a proven platform that's 20 years old already and what not.

I'm not skeptical but if it was good enough, the big guys would already be running them, right? Johnny Huck would say so.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Shovel on a little more coal, then when we cross white oak mountain, watch 97 roll!

The problem is the gall dang motors.

building chevy motors keeps our lights on lol i know about them. they blocks are pretty much a heavier bottom end cleveland. virtually same bore spacing and deck height with a bad oiling system. They have their place in racing but theyre not the savior.

Quote Originally Posted by riddle28 View Post
    building chevy motors keeps our lights on lol i know about them. they blocks are pretty much a heavier bottom end cleveland. virtually same bore spacing and deck height with a bad oiling system. They have their place in racing but theyre not the savior.
    We'll build one for a drag car. I know that it's really tempting when you look at what it comes with stock versus what you have to pay to get all that stuff for a real small block. Except it doesn't come stock with adjustable tappets so that's extra money to Jesel that I suppose I pay on an SBC anyways. The pulleys and stuff are way more expensive, water pumps and stuff. There's no free lunch.

I'd like to see them in the "stock car" classes because there's so many of them in junk yards and I think it would help grow the base if we didn't have to explain to 25 year olds that they have to run a SBC, Cleveland, Windsor or LA series Mopar. They never understand why we're running that "old antique junk". I talk to a lot of young generation car guys in my day to day some of them former "tuner car" types that have moved to turbo LS, Ford Mod motor, Hemi but overwhelmingly LS. I don't have the answer for the cars themselves. Unibody Camaros, mustangs , Dodge Chargers and stuff? Maybe make it like a V8 version of the UCar division. Sorry that's WAY off topic for the Late Model section.

I feel like a defense attorney for the Chevy small block when I talk to young potential racers, all it's "guilty of" is killing the competition for decades.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Shovel on a little more coal, then when we cross white oak mountain, watch 97 roll!

If LS engines were a viable option, they’d already be on the national scene.

They’re much better being shoehorned into a VW Jetta or given a metric ton of boost and used for drag racing than they are being used for circle track racing.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by BTExpress View Post
    I've heard 55 for the ry's now, 30-35 for the top of the line ls is a number I've heard but thats fully dressed with carb, so its a savings but not a ton, and to someone not wanting to risk it as far as winning or resale it may not be worth it

Josh, what we oughta be doing is shoehorning LS motors, probably L92 maybe something else, their choice of camshaft, etc. In 20 year old black front ends instead of Jettas or 602 motors in Late Models. With late model Camaro STOCK looking sheet metal, we should do the same with Ford engines and tin. We could possibly get some youth interested if we were doing that. I mean you can get a good old black for darn near free. That's what Street Stock should be. Our street stock cars are all tube frame anyways where I am.

But yeah, if it could be done it would have been already if it was as fast for cheaper or faster for more. That's a fact.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.