Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by grt74 View Post
    I've heard 55 for the ry's now, 30-35 for the top of the line ls is a number I've heard but thats fully dressed with carb, so its a savings but not a ton, and to someone not wanting to risk it as far as winning or resale it may not be worth it
    With headers And carb they are just over 30 the mullins package actually starts at around 26k that's a easy 40%+ savings i don't know what you consider a ton but last i checked 20k is a ton to just about anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Josh, what we oughta be doing is shoehorning LS motors, probably L92 maybe something else, their choice of camshaft, etc. In 20 year old black front ends instead of Jettas or 602 motors in Late Models. With late model Camaro STOCK looking sheet metal, we should do the same with Ford engines and tin. We could possibly get some youth interested if we were doing that. I mean you can get a good old black for darn near free. That's what Street Stock should be. Our street stock cars are all tube frame anyways where I am.

But yeah, if it could be done it would have been already if it was as fast for cheaper or faster for more. That's a fact.

I don’t disagree they’d be good for an entry level LM or “vintage” class. I’d keep em straight stock with stock ignition and fuel injection even. They’re plentiful, cheap, and pretty much idiot proof.

The VW Jetta thing was kinda tongue in cheek. It was more just speaking to how LS motors are being swapped into literally anything these days. A guy did shove one in a first gen GTI and the thing is sick though.

My idea for an entry level dirt class is an AWD drive class. I do understand it would pretty much be a Subaru WRX spec class, but they’re a better base for learning how to drive on dirt than a 4cyl.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Ricky Weiss won last night on the WoO tour with his new Baldwin LS engine... There are two more engines at Baldwins right now being pit together for Bloomer & Madden. The Drydene folks are providing great support for the three car team.
    Doc
    Facebook.com@DowdyRacing

Quote Originally Posted by dirtSLMracing View Post
    Baldwin has raised his price over 13000$ since September of last year he quoted me 26-28k

For a weekly show you can build a 650HP Gen 3 Hemi with 90 percent factory parts...the Eagle heads flow 340 and can go 360 plus. Bottom end will take 800 HP NA.

You need a pre 09 block without the valve timing junk and late heads. The MSD 6 box sets the timing at 20 btdc and does not move the timing. A 4 barrel intake is $450 and the MSD is $500

Reground cam is $250 add $130 for a new core

No need to fully prep the block as the machine work is spot on

The only disadvantage is the small bore on the 5.7 but the block is solid iron 1/3 upfront the pan rail don't may be able to handle a bigger bore
    Last edited by Krooser; 05-23-2020 at 04:36 PM.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

I think weiss has a Vick hill under the hood

[QUOTE=stewart fan;2322658]I think weiss has a Vick hill under the hood[/QUOTE wies definitely has a Baldwin ls and has at least tested with it but I've yet to see any mention of it anywhere as to him actually running it. Dod has vic listed as his engine builder fwiw

Josh the problem with my idea: Within 5 minutes of announcing my new division for LS powered ancient old dirt cars somebody would call Rocket and order a brand new XR1. Because somebody ALWAYS has to be that guy. It's like if the effin LA Lakers decided to play rec league ball at the YMCA so they could win more games.

The problem with your idea: it would start cheap and within 5 years they'd be 4 wheel drive Japanese Super Late Models. Our 4 cylinder FWD "stock" class is totally out of control. at least they're mostly using junkyard parts for now. I give that about 2 more years. But you better plan on a motor swap from day 1 even now.

Maybe keep them stock as possible or at least tell them to and know that they're gonna cheat a lot. LS swap the world is basically the order of the day and I think we're being foolish not to embrace that part of car culture. Except that most hot rodders don't want to actually race being as hot rods don't actually have to be fast. If you choose to race, you're putting yourself out there to get exposed. So I don't know. But I don't feel like we're getting new drivers that aren't bred to be race car drivers by wanna be dads that didn't have the money to get to NASCAR, or our own kids. I'd like to get some of the guys up in the bleachers drinking beer to say hey Joe, we can do this. The antique car requirement in the street stock class is KILLING us. And U cars are gay. Yeah I raced one but most people aren't as big of dorks as I am. Winners want to look bad azz and old clapped out civics are not bad azz.

Sorry guys the question was NOT asked about what I think about reducing costs or viability of the LS engine at the local level. Last post on this by me.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Shovel on a little more coal, then when we cross white oak mountain, watch 97 roll!

The problem is the gall dang motors.