Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I know it's early in the season. But, this race could be in the top five for race of the year. Great race!

Quote Originally Posted by zyoung25 View Post
    A few years back, Florence had something like happen. The cable wasnt exactly straight (at that time) and the win went the car that appeared to run 2nd by eye ball and video. I think it was Cody Mahoney and Jason Jameson if I remember right. Jameson was declared the winner because that how the transponders read.

Florence later came out and said their transponder pick up cable was not exactly straight in line with the flagstand.

You might be on to something here.
    Been to a few tracks early and seen them bury new timing cable, not exactly a GPS accurate transit set up, more like pick and shovel.

Transponders are the most accurate way, there is no personal judgement involved. I get it, Thornton was on the losing end last night, but I'm guessing at some point he has been or will be on the other end one day.

Quote Originally Posted by EDERDS View Post
    Eyeball test watching the cars showed Thornton winning
    Quote Originally Posted by lurker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedblue55 View Post
    No way to tell from that angle, flagstand is located down towards turn 1. Also appears that small track flagstand is on the inside and large track stand is on the outside. How timing cable is buried in relation to those two stands would mean a lot. Guess whoever buried it could answer that. Good to see the tin foil hat conspiracy nut jobs out in force.
    I was simply pointing out at the 3:41 mark the announcer made the same comment that EDERDS made. Sorry I wasn’t specific and I made it hard for you comprehend.

.007 of a second. Using the eyeball test, the guy with a longer front bumper will win every time.

DOD has a picture, I wonder if that's the finish?

The problem is the series run at so many different tracks that it is tough for them to have somthing consistent. If their was a line in the wall and a camera dead in line like eldora it be one thing but alot of tracks don't have this so the rules for the series are when in question they go to the transponder and that is official. Doesent realy matter where the loop is located if that is deemed the line by the rules that's it. This is why they have a rule on the placement of the transponder because it will be the decision maker. They checked the transponder positions before they declared a winner. I wanted to see rtj win as much as anybody but he didn't. Bottom line great race great finish

The problem with transponders is theyre mounted on the rearend…..approx. 15 ft from the front of the nose!

A car 1 mph faster can travel 1.46 feet in 1 second!

Exactly zero !!!

Transponders are mounted in the front.

Sure thought Thornton won it. But I have no way of debating the out come. Really like this guy, and maybe he can get them back tonight. Great race

Quote Originally Posted by jcotton02 View Post
    Transponders are mounted in the front.
    Either the rear end tube or the engine mid plate. It doesn't really matter when they are mounted in the same place on each car.

Lot of good points made, especially zero25's and the comments about the transponder receiving cable location. One touring group we run with recently changed transponder locations on the cars from front at lower A arm to midplate and there are flaws with each. A inch or two either way can cost or give you a win.

One of our regular haunts last year saw a guy get his first sprint car main win taken away because their wire was buried coming out of turn 4, where he was second on the last lap, instead of at the start/finish line where it should be and where he definitely won by about half a car.

Transponders are great for most lineups getting sorted out on restarts but the old fashioned human scorers and/or a camera at the finish line are better for determining the winner.

When Nascar was at Darlington a couple weeks ago they showed the finish between Craven and Kurt Busch a couple times. Ricky won because that Pontiac nosepiece was slightly longer. Had he been in a Ford like Busch I believe it would've been a tie

Quote Originally Posted by lurker View Post
    Wow, it sure looks like Thornton won that race, from that view. Transponders are supposed to be located at the rear axle on all cars I believe, I assume they do check the locations of them after the race.

There could be some tricks played with transponders. It has happened before. Not in Lucas that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by over4T View Post
    One of our regular haunts last year saw a guy get his first sprint car main win taken away because their wire was buried coming out of turn 4, where he was second on the last lap, instead of at the start/finish line where it should be and where he definitely won by about half a car.
    Over, did the real winner protest the outcome? It seems if the outcome was obvious to everyone in the place they'd make it right and give the win to the actual winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Buford.Justice View Post
    Wow, it sure looks like Thornton won that race, from that view. Transponders are supposed to be located at the rear axle on all cars I believe, I assume they do check the locations of them after the race. There could be some tricks played with transponders. It has happened before. Not in Lucas that I know of.
    This was a woo race and the transponders are mounted on the lf

transponders are good for determining the part of the car that crosses the line 1st, I dont know where woo mounts theirs at, I assume axle tube, ricky could have crossed the line 1st with the nose of the car and still lost according to transponder.

The transponder isn't even at the very front of the car? Isn't that like the olympics judging the winner of the 100m dash by the back of your head crossing the line?

I've seen local tracks that say the transponder has to be mounted on the rr axle housing.