Default Whats the difference?

Okay, I'm admittedly fairly new to the this whole dirt racing thing. I hear about all the different chassis builders and such but I've wondered what exactly is the difference? Unless I am totally misunderstanding (which is probably the case) I figure each sanctioning body has all the rules for chassis that have to be met. So what can be so different about them if the same parts are used? Again, don't beat me up too bad. Just a newbie wanting to get a little more into it.

I won't have the best of answers, but know it is a very broad spectrum of answers. Chassis design includes aspects such as flex and pick-up points (geometry), so something like an 8.5" control arm might be the theoretic same part, but where it mounts to the chassis and the design of the spindle it connects to are all factors that most likely vary from one builder to the next.

Then you have things such as different engine (horsepower) combinations, feedback and/or support you get from a specific manufacturer, that individual driver's own abilities, resources such as a crew, tires, and the list goes on and on.

The number one reason I like dirt late models over any other form of racing is their adjustability. Likewise, for someone like me, it's probably the greatest obstacle to overcome as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJet-09 View Post
    I won't have the best of answers, but know it is a very broad spectrum of answers. Chassis design includes aspects such as flex and pick-up points (geometry), so something like an 8.5" control arm might be the theoretic same part, but where it mounts to the chassis and the design of the spindle it connects to are all factors that most likely vary from one builder to the next.

Then you have things such as different engine (horsepower) combinations, feedback and/or support you get from a specific manufacturer, that individual driver's own abilities, resources such as a crew, tires, and the list goes on and on.

The number one reason I like dirt late models over any other form of racing is their adjustability. Likewise, for someone like me, it's probably the greatest obstacle to overcome as well.

Your answer is why I didnt like the iracing deal they did during the break. For most of these cars, the driver is an extension of the car. The best ones I mean. They know how they want their cars to feel, and have them set up around them specifically for that.

The rules that the sanctioning bodies have in reference to the chassis are concentrated on safety such as tubing thickness and the structure around the driver. Their is a wheel base rule a weight rule engine setback and body rules. Outside of those things how you build the chassis and what component brand and dimensions you use are for the most part wide open

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    The rules that the sanctioning bodies have in reference to the chassis are concentrated on safety such as tubing thickness and the structure around the driver. Their is a wheel base rule a weight rule engine setback and body rules. Outside of those things how you build the chassis and what component brand and dimensions you use are for the most part wide open
    Prior to 2016, anyway. Lol
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by BloomerHarvickFan View Post
    Your answer is why I didnt like the iracing deal they did during the break. For most of these cars, the driver is an extension of the car. The best ones I mean. They know how they want their cars to feel, and have them set up around them specifically for that.
    Are you talking about them doing fixed setups?

Thanks everyone who chimed in. I guess I kinda understand it a bit more. I do have one other question. As someone who has little to no experience in this area of life, how would someone go about getting involved with a team? Not as a sponsor or anythint but as someone to maybe get in a crew? Seems like maybe it's just who you know and since I know nobody not sure where to start.

I would go to a local track and find a racer that looks like they could use some help, maybe strike up a conversation...most likely after the races. Develop a relationship and maybe it can grow from there. It undoubtedly will not be a front runner as they probably have more than enough help as it is, and might be a little guarded. A mid-pack type runner is what I envision.

And help can come in many forms. If you know up from down and left from right, you can work on a racecar. For a racer in my position, having someone who can get the line-ups is huge (so I don't have to wait for them, using up time that needs to be spent on the car), or just keeping track of where we are in the program...even having someone clean your helmet and get some new tear-offs can be a blessing. There are a lot of "not so glorious" tasks at hand.

Lastly, know that races are won at the shop, not at the track...meaning the real work takes place there. All something to think about. Good luck!
    Last edited by TheJet-09; 06-05-2020 at 08:17 PM.